792 20 4-13 12:21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RogerDubs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since first activating my Avata 2, my headset tells me that I have a gimbal calibration problem. When I try to do the gimbal calibration, it shows that it is at 10% but that never changes and doesn't calibrate the gimbal. In reaching out to DJI support, I was told to refresh the firmware on DJI Assistant 2 and that should resolve the issue. I just tried 2 minutes ago with the latest version of firmware for all three pieces--headset, controller and drone-- but it still shows the calibration message. The gimbal will not move at all on the drone when it is flying. Suggestions??????
4-13 12:21
Use props
fans9b858308
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4009931 ft
India

I'm having the same issue. Is there a strange smell coming from your camera? Mine smells funky for some reason.
4-13 18:33
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

Same issue, though once it got to 60%. Auto gimbal check fails on the new firmware and in flight it says the gimbal motor is overloaded.

No noticeable smell aside from "new electronics smell" which is mainly VOCs from plastic, rubber, and glue.

Similar to https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 722&pid=3288953 only the drone itself shows updated firmware.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the desktop software to see the drone. Is there some trick to the timing? Plug in the cable after it beeps, after the fans spin, wait 10 seconds?  Updating firmware off of my phone goes off without a hitch, but the desktop app is recommended. I'm even using the (honestly ridiculous) USB-C to USB-A dongle.
4-13 19:59
Use props
fans9b858308
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4009931 ft
United States

erutan Posted at 4-13 19:59
Same issue, though once it got to 60%. Auto gimbal check fails on the new firmware and in flight it says the gimbal motor is overloaded.

No noticeable smell aside from "new electronics smell" which is mainly VOCs from plastic, rubber, and glue.

I tried messing with the camera during the calibration and I'm able to get it to 100% where it says calibration successful but it's lying it's not successful. Well I'm like 12 white claws deep right now so I'm going to bed I'm going to try again in the morning.
4-13 20:19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. After doing the firmware update/refresh on the DJI Assistant 2, kindly please perform again the gimbal calibration by connecting the DJI Avata 2 to DJI Goggles 3, enter the liveview, and press the 5D button or push it to the right to open the goggles menu. Then, go to Settings > Control > Gimbal Calibration for calibration. If still the issue persists, I'm afraid that you may consider sending in the unit for proper diagnostics. Rest assured that the warranty will be applied depending on the damage assessment conducted on the unit. We appreciate your understanding.

4-13 20:38
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fans9b858308 Posted at 4-13 18:33
I'm having the same issue. Is there a strange smell coming from your camera? Mine smells funky for some reason.

Hi there. According to India's Import Policy, Drones are 'prohibited' except for R&D and defense use. There are no DJI Authorized Retail Stores in India to sell drones. So we cannot provide aftersales services for you. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and your understanding is highly appreciated.  

4-13 20:40
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

erutan Posted at 4-13 19:59
Same issue, though once it got to 60%. Auto gimbal check fails on the new firmware and in flight it says the gimbal motor is overloaded.

Hi there. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Kindly make sure to download the correct version of the DJI Assistant 2, reinstall it by deleting the software version on your computer and please install the version using the link below. Here are the ways how to connect the aircraft to the  DJI Assistant 2 software:

1. Power on the device. Connect the device to a computer with a USB-C cable.
2. Launch DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) and log in with your DJI account.
3. Select the device and click Firmware Update on the left side of the screen.
4. Select and confirm the firmware version to update to.
5. Wait for the firmware to download. The firmware update will start automatically.
6. The device will restart automatically after the firmware update is complete.

https://www.dji.com/global/downl ... sumer-drones-series
4-13 20:44
Use props
Steffi
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same issues after 1 fly with the Avata 2. Updated and refreshed all firmware from all devies via the DJI Assistant 2. Problem still exist. Gimbal calibratiion freeze at 10%. Any clue?
4-14 03:07
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-13 20:44
Hi there. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Kindly make sure to download the correct version of the DJI Assistant 2, reinstall it by deleting the software version on your computer and please install the version using the link below. Here are the ways how to connect the aircraft to the  DJI Assistant 2 software:

The installed the correct version two days ago: "DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)" V2.1.21 . I was able to connect to the Drone once on Friday to pull logs for another issue I had from it (unresponsive MC) that seems to have been fixed with the yesterday's firmware, but that was out of probably 30 attempts using different cables, your included USB-C to USB-A adapter, etc.

It seems like I'm not the only one with these connection issues going through forum posts - having to constantly uninstall and reinstall software to re-apply firmware updates and rotating through a handful of cables that work normally with every other device before this isn't the experience I was expecting or hoping for.  

Connecting to other devices from my googles via iPhone works perfectly.  I haven't been able to connect the goggles to the DJI Assistant at all, and the drone only once.

I'll download and re-install the software - I guess I'll just keep the installer file if I have to reinstall the application every time I use it.
Is there a good reason to not just do firmware updataes from my iPhone 14 Pro? I assume that even with transmitting firmware wirelessly there's basic md5sum hash checks to make sure the file made it over without corruption before executing it, as the ability to do has existed for decades.  My phone connects to everything perfectly well and I can't see myself spending hours trying to get each individual device to connect to the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) software over the lifetime of the product.

I have friends with a Mini 2 and Mini 3 that only update firmware via their phones and haven't had any issues, is this an Avata specific issue?
4-14 08:01
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

erutan Posted at 4-14 08:01
The installed the correct version two days ago: "DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)" V2.1.21 . I was able to connect to the Drone once on Friday to pull logs for another issue I had from it (unresponsive MC) that seems to have been fixed with the yesterday's firmware, but that was out of probably 30 attempts using different cables, your included USB-C to USB-A adapter, etc.

It seems like I'm not the only one with these connection issues going through forum posts - having to constantly uninstall and reinstall software to re-apply firmware updates and rotating through a handful of cables that work normally with every other device before this isn't the experience I was expecting or hoping for.  

Thank you for your response. We can perform a firmware update via DJI Fly app on your mobile device and via DJI Assistant 2 software. To update firmware using the App, power on the aircraft, goggles, and remote controller device and make sure that all devices are linked then connect the USB-C port of the goggles to the mobile device, run the DJI Fly app, and follow the prompt to update. An internet connection is required when doing firmware updates via the APP. If you still experience the same issue on your unit (gimbal motor overload), I'm afraid that you may consider sending in the unit for proper diagnostics. You may create a repair ticket using this link https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index . The warranty will be applied depending on the assessment conducted on the unit. Thank you for your understanding.
4-15 03:00
Use props
RogerDubs
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-15 03:00
Thank you for your response. We can perform a firmware update via DJI Fly app on your mobile device and via DJI Assistant 2 software. To update firmware using the App, power on the aircraft, goggles, and remote controller device and make sure that all devices are linked then connect the USB-C port of the goggles to the mobile device, run the DJI Fly app, and follow the prompt to update. An internet connection is required when doing firmware updates via the APP. If you still experience the same issue on your unit (gimbal motor overload), I'm afraid that you may consider sending in the unit for proper diagnostics. You may create a repair ticket using this link https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index . The warranty will be applied depending on the assessment conducted on the unit. Thank you for your understanding.

I’ve done everything listed above. The unit flies with no problem but the gimbal is stuck. Looking at this post and the comments here, seems this is a problem that needs looked into and addressed. The fact that I just spent $1200 on a DJI product that may need to be sent in for diagnostics less than a week after release is pretty bad!
4-15 03:12
Use props
RogerDubs
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-13 20:44

No go. I wish it worked but it still shows the gimbal calibration message in the headset. The gimbal calibration process gets stuck at 10% and won’t move.
4-15 03:16
Use props
RogerDubs
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

erutan Posted at 4-14 08:01
The installed the correct version two days ago: "DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)" V2.1.21 . I was able to connect to the Drone once on Friday to pull logs for another issue I had from it (unresponsive MC) that seems to have been fixed with the yesterday's firmware, but that was out of probably 30 attempts using different cables, your included USB-C to USB-A adapter, etc.

It seems like I'm not the only one with these connection issues going through forum posts - having to constantly uninstall and reinstall software to re-apply firmware updates and rotating through a handful of cables that work normally with every other device before this isn't the experience I was expecting or hoping for.  

Isn’t it so frustrating to spend $1200, set it up as instructed and then find out you basically purchased a paper weight? I got my Avata 2 at Best Buy. The DJI service guy told me that because it is third party purchase that I’ll need to take it back to Best Buy to resolve the issue.  I just want to fly this. Ahh!!!
4-15 03:26
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

RogerDubs Posted at 4-15 03:26
Isn’t it so frustrating to spend $1200, set it up as instructed and then find out you basically purchased a paper weight? I got my Avata 2 at Best Buy. The DJI service guy told me that because it is third party purchase that I’ll need to take it back to Best Buy to resolve the issue.  I just want to fly this. Ahh!!!

So BestBuy is going to do the diagnostics on it? Or just replace it with a new one in store? If the former I doubt they're qualified to do so lol.

Do you also have DJI Care? That -should- shift the support burden to DJI.

FWIW https://www.ugreen.com/products/ugreen-usb-c-to-usb-c-cable-3ft-6ft-10ft cables work with my drone + DJI Assistant software. Went through a half dozen or so combinations multiple times in multiple timing setups. I assume the dongle is just so a bad USB-C PD charger doesn't fry the drone, so it forces it onto 5V 1.5A or something?

What actual errors are you getting? On the screen I'll sometimes get both “Gimbal calibration error” and “Gimbal auto check failed", but sometimes only “Gimbal calibration error”. In status I always have "Gimbal calibration error. Restart aircraft or contact DJI Support if the issue persists." but sometimes have either "Gimbal stuck. Check whether gimbal lock is removed and make sure gimbal can rotate freely" or "Gimbal motor overloaded. Restart aircraft. Check whether gimbal motor is stuck and make sure gimbal can rotate freely".  The gimbal does rotate freely and I haven't been able to identify any debris in there.

I think in my case it might be sand and dust from 4/12 when my MC wasn't communicating with the drone. I was landing and taking off many times in a pretty sandy area and it was somewhat windy.  By the time the firmware fixed that issue I probably had gotten dust in there.  Kind of janky video, but these things are way more sensitive than I thought https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliySyRnkKI&pp=ygUQZGppIGdpbWJsZSBzdHVjaw%3D%3D

4-15 16:41
Use props
RogerDubs
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Best Buy just took it back without any fuss. They had another in stock so I exchanged it. I had other plans last night and haven’t checked out the new unit. Hopefully all is good and it isn’t a problem with all the Avata 2s in their inventory.
4-16 01:14
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

RogerDubs Posted at 4-16 01:14
Best Buy just took it back without any fuss. They had another in stock so I exchanged it. I had other plans last night and haven’t checked out the new unit. Hopefully all is good and it isn’t a problem with all the Avata 2s in their inventory.

Good to know. There's a 15% restocking fee for drones, but a flat exchange should work.

Unfortunately I'm on the road and the nearest Best Buy is 2-3 hours away, and I'm not planning on being near one again until after the 26th. I can mail it in to DJI, but could burn one of my warranty uses if it's deemed as pilot error vs covered as a replacement.
4-16 09:39
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

RogerDubs Posted at 4-15 03:26

We are sorry for the inconvenience. According to DJI After Sales Policy, you can request replacement service within fifteen (15) calendar days when it meets the criteria. For more details, please refer to the picture below. But if you want to apply for a refund, since the order was not placed on the DJI Online Store, you're recommended to contact BestBuy for a refund. As for the gimbal issue, we noticed that you've already got a new one.  Before flying, please note to remove the gimbal protector. If there is any issue when testing the new one, please feel free to contact us.
4-16 20:27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

erutan Posted at 4-16 09:39
Good to know. There's a 15% restocking fee for drones, but a flat exchange should work.

Unfortunately I'm on the road and the nearest Best Buy is 2-3 hours away, and I'm not planning on being near one again until after the 26th. I can mail it in to DJI, but could burn one of my warranty uses if it's deemed as pilot error vs covered as a replacement.

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience. You can submit a case through the link below and send it back for further diagnosis. http://www.dji.com/support Please rest assured that we will provide warranty service if it's a manufacturing issue.
4-16 20:38
Use props
Cootje
New

Netherlands

I have the same issue.  Straight out the box i updated the firmware but have the calibration error.  
The gimbal calibration process gets stuck at 10% so that didnt either help.
4-17 09:33
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

RogerDubs Posted at 4-16 01:14

Hah, well I'm like 7 hours round trip to a Best Buy for the duration of my 15 day exchange period. I've been going in circles to see if I can get that extended since I'm calling on day 6. So far it's kafkaesque - just visit the store and talk to them, call the store, oh you can't stores anymore, oh call the store, etc. Given I'm on day 6 of 15, it'd be nice if I could visit a store on day 20 or 21 and exchange it. Got a store, then got hung up on. Used this hack to talk to someone in the US and they said I could go to a store in person and sign up for best buy plus which would let me exchange it within 60 days vs 15.

I purchased DJI Care, but it'd be great to not have to deal with using up one of my four support requests and/or being charged $29 depending on what their diagnosis comes up with, and mailing it out and trying to figure out where I'd be when they want to send me another one as I'm traveling sounds like a hassle but maybe that's what I'll just end up doing.

4-17 12:45
Use props
Thomas Chen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3058848 ft
Taiwan

I have same Avata 2 gimbal issue, and I checked that have stink at the gimbal right side (faced to camera).You can see the red square area in my picture, the mylar sheet already deformed like plastic melted.
I think the gimbal is overheat caused issue.

4-30 17:28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules