Camera View Recording backwards w/ LiveView?
225 18 4-28 13:27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

I've had a few days with my Avata 2 as my first drone and am having a lot of fun already. I'm sure there's a lot more to come!

My question is about the "Camera View Recording" setting. I read and have seen that when this is enabled, video recorded to an SD card in the Goggles will only contain the camera view, without the OSD.

However, this setting also affects the WiFi LiveView stream, and in the opposite manner. When Camera View Recording is enabled in order to hide the OSD on the Goggles recording, the OSD is transmitted to the device watching the LiveView. And when Camera View Recording is disabled in order to include the OSD in the SD card recording, the OSD is NOT transmitted on the LiveView stream.

I would have expected that a setting that affects how the Goggles record video would also affect how they broadcast video in the same way. But instead, the LiveView behavior is always opposite of the recording behavior.

Is this the intended behavior, or a bug?
4-28 13:27
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Assuming you have not changed the default settings, the video recorded by the goggles with include the flight telemetry, while the video will be the full resolution video recorded by the drone in whatever resolution & mode you have set.  You can disable the telemetry for the Goggle recording, however, you have to click a toggle to disable the Goggle telemetry.
4-28 13:42
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

That's really weird and doesn't fit what I'm seeing (or how Avata 1 or O3AU worked with Goggles 2/Integra). With "Camera View Recording" on (default), you should have OSD both recorded on goggles DVR and shown on your phone in DJI Fly's video stream. Are you saying you can either have OSD recorded in goggle DVR or shown in DJI Fly but not both? Because that shouldn't be possible since they're supposed to be using the same frame buffer - if you're seeing this behaviour it means they changed something there which is probably how the bug snuck in.
4-28 14:04
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-28 13:42
Assuming you have not changed the default settings, the video recorded by the goggles with include the flight telemetry, while the video will be the full resolution video recorded by the drone in whatever resolution & mode you have set.  You can disable the telemetry for the Goggle recording, however, you have to click a toggle to disable the Goggle telemetry.
Thanks for the reply, but that does not address my question. I’m not asking about drone vs. Goggles recording. I’m asking about Goggles recording vs. WiFi LiveView.
4-28 14:10
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

fichek Posted at 4-28 14:04
That's really weird and doesn't fit what I'm seeing (or how Avata 1 or O3AU worked with Goggles 2/Integra). With "Camera View Recording" on (default), you should have OSD both recorded on goggles DVR and shown on your phone in DJI Fly's video stream. Are you saying you can either have OSD recorded in goggle DVR or shown in DJI Fly but not both? Because that shouldn't be possible since they're supposed to be using the same frame buffer - if you're seeing this behaviour it means they changed something there which is probably how the bug snuck in.
Yes, that’s correct. If I have the OSD recorded in Goggle DVR, I can’t see it in DJI Fly on a device connected to LiveView. And vice versa. There’s no way to show the OSD in both places simultaneously or hide it in both places simultaneously:

Although are you saying that previously, having Camera View Recording enabled caused the OSD to be included in the DVR? That seems strange to me since the wording of that option suggested to me that enabling it means you only get what the actual camera sees, without an overlay. So the behavior of that setting in terms of how it affects Goggles DVR makes sense to me, even if that’s an inversion from before. But the fact that Goggles DVR and LiveView are always inverted relative to each other is strange.
4-28 14:13
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

jphughan Posted at 4-28 14:13
Yes, that’s correct. If I have the OSD recorded in Goggle DVR, I can’t see it in DJI Fly on a device connected to LiveView. And vice versa. There’s no way to show the OSD in both places simultaneously or hide it in both places simultaneously:

Although are you saying that previously, having Camera View Recording enabled caused the OSD to be included in the DVR? That seems strange to me since the wording of that option suggested to me that enabling it means you only get what the actual camera sees, without an overlay. So the behavior of that setting in terms of how it affects Goggles DVR makes sense to me, even if that’s an inversion from before. But the fact that Goggles DVR and LiveView are always inverted relative to each other is strange.

Yeah, I think it's a case of some info being lost in translation - I do agree "Camera View Recording" sounds like it would just show the camera and no OSD, but it's always been the opposite. Anyway, what you are seeing definitely confirms they changed how this stuff works (maybe video feed from goggles needed to be in a separate pipeline because of wifi streaming they added, who knows) and they obviously introduced a bug that you're seeing there. I would try to present this to DJI support and let them forward it to someone technical enough to understand what is going on.

Weird thing is, I'd pay to have it behave the way it is for you I want my OSD recorded in goggle DVR but it would be nice to show a clean live stream to someone else.
4-28 14:21
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

Interesting. Well since these streams clearly can behave differently from each other now, even if that wasn’t intended, then maybe a future update will add another option to manage LiveView OSD separately from Goggles DVR OSD, so you can deliberately make it work the way it is for me right now.

Do DJI technical people not watch this forum? In that case I’ll look for a way to submit a support ticket.
4-28 14:25
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

They watch it, but there's a lot of traffic so they don't really reply to every post. It would probably be best to start with support chat on their homepage and go from there.

Btw page 72 of the manual:

Doesn't mention streaming to DJI fly there, but it always used to be the same (and still is for me), so definitely try reporting it as a bug.
4-28 15:46
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

jphughan Posted at 4-28 14:13
Yes, that’s correct. If I have the OSD recorded in Goggle DVR, I can’t see it in DJI Fly on a device connected to LiveView. And vice versa. There’s no way to show the OSD in both places simultaneously or hide it in both places simultaneously:

Although are you saying that previously, having Camera View Recording enabled caused the OSD to be included in the DVR? That seems strange to me since the wording of that option suggested to me that enabling it means you only get what the actual camera sees, without an overlay. So the behavior of that setting in terms of how it affects Goggles DVR makes sense to me, even if that’s an inversion from before. But the fact that Goggles DVR and LiveView are always inverted relative to each other is strange.

You should see the telemetry in the live Goggles view no matter what.  In the recorded goggle view, there is a toggle in the camera settings to either record the telemetry or not.  I believe the toggle is in the Camera > Advanced settings in the same screen where you set the auto-record option.

I just noticed in your last post you mention the WiFi view.  I assume this means you are connecting a device wirelessly to the Goggles 3 for remote viewing?  I have never used that feature so it is possible the WiFi connected view does not show the telemetry.

4-28 17:11
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-28 17:11
You should see the telemetry in the live Goggles view no matter what.  In the recorded goggle view, there is a toggle in the camera settings to either record the telemetry or not.  I believe the toggle is in the Camera > Advanced settings in the same screen where you set the auto-record option.

I just noticed in your last post you mention the WiFi view.  I assume this means you are connecting a device wirelessly to the Goggles 3 for remote viewing?  I have never used that feature so it is possible the WiFi connected view does not show the telemetry.

Yes I always see the telemetry in the Goggles view, and I can control whether I see the telemetry in the video recorded by the Goggles using that setting. But that setting ALSO toggles whether I can see telemetry from a device running DJI Fly that’s connected to the WiFi LiveView that streams from the Goggles. But if I have telemetry in the recorded video, it won’t show in the streamed view, and vice versa. Currently the telemetry state is alway inverted between recording and LiveView.
4-28 17:59
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

fichek Posted at 4-28 15:46
They watch it, but there's a lot of traffic so they don't really reply to every post. It would probably be best to start with support chat on their homepage and go from there.

Btw page 72 of the manual:

Reported it in a chat session and provided a link to this thread. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully something changes.
4-28 18:00
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, jphughan. Thank you for reaching out. Please enable the Camera view recording function.

Once this function is turned on, the video recorded by the Goggles will also have an OSD, and the WiFi-shared image transmission to the mobile phone will also have an OSD. If this function is turned off, there will be no OSD in the video recorded by the flight goggles or in the WiFi-shared image transmission screen. Please note that the video captured by the aircraft will not have an OSD in any case.
5-1 22:12
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-1 22:12
Hi, jphughan. Thank you for reaching out. Please enable the Camera view recording function.
[view_image]
Once this function is turned on, the video recorded by the Goggles will also have an OSD, and the WiFi-shared image transmission to the mobile phone will also have an OSD. If this function is turned off, there will be no OSD in the video recorded by the flight goggles or in the WiFi-shared image transmission screen. Please note that the video captured by the aircraft will not have an OSD in any case.

Hi DJI Gamora,

Thank you for the reply, but as I have said multiple times in this thread already, the behavior you are describing for how those settings work does not match what is actually happening with my Avata 2 and Goggkes 3.

Based on replies from other users, the behavior you describe may be the way it is INTENDED to work, and possibly the way it DOES work on other drones and/or Goggles models, but on my Avata 2 and Goggles 3 with current firmware as of this writing, the Camera View Recording setting works very differently.

I would appreciate it if you or someone else at DJI could test that setting for yourself specifically with an Avata 2 and Goggles 3 in order to reproduce this issue I am reporting.
5-2 03:31
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Works as intended with my Avata 2 and Goggles 3 so they may not necessarily be able to reproduce it. But it should definitely be sent to the software team to investigate since it's probably a regression in Avata 2 as I've never heard of this before.

Btw, I forgot to ask, does the same happen when you connect DJI Fly via cable?
5-2 04:55
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

fichek Posted at 5-2 04:55
Works as intended with my Avata 2 and Goggles 3 so they may not necessarily be able to reproduce it. But it should definitely be sent to the software team to investigate since it's probably a regression in Avata 2 as I've never heard of this before.

Btw, I forgot to ask, does the same happen when you connect DJI Fly via cable?

Interesting, this is the first reply I’ve seen with a report of the experience on the same hardware from someone else. So just for clarification:

If you enable Camera View Recording, is the OSD included in the Goggles SD recording or hidden? And what does the LiveView look like?

I ask because from this thread I learned that my experience differs from others in two different ways. First, Camera View Recording is supposed to SHOW the OSD on the Goggles SD recording, whereas on my setup it HIDES the OSD (and shows the OSD when that setting is disabled). And second, the OSD visibility on LiveView is always the opposite of what happens on the Goggles recording, whereas those are apparently supposed to be consistent.
5-2 05:27
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

jphughan Posted at 5-2 05:27
Interesting, this is the first reply I’ve seen with a report of the experience on the same hardware from someone else. So just for clarification:

If you enable Camera View Recording, is the OSD included in the Goggles SD recording or hidden? And what does the LiveView look like?

Sorry, I thought that was clear from my original reply - with "Camera View Recording", both my goggle DVR and the live view (either streamed via wifi or over the cable) show the OSD.
5-2 06:19
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

fichek Posted at 5-2 06:19
Sorry, I thought that was clear from my original reply - with "Camera View Recording", both my goggle DVR and the live view (either streamed via wifi or over the cable) show the OSD.

Very strange. I guess I can try a factory reset in case the firmware update I needed out of the box sent something sideways. Doesn’t seem like it would be too much to set up again. Thanks for the input though!
5-2 06:38
Use props
jphughan
lvl.1

United States

Well, a factory reset on the Goggles resolved the issue. Now when I enable Camera View Recording, I see the OSD on both the Goggles recording and the LiveView stream, and when I disable it, the OSD is hidden in both places.

Side note: The name “Camera View Recording” is confusing. That description suggests that enabling it will record only what the actual camera sees, meaning that the OSD would NOT be included. Based on how the setting is designed to work, a better name might be “Include OSD/HUD/telemetry in recording”.
5-2 17:25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

jphughan Posted at 5-2 17:25
Well, a factory reset on the Goggles resolved the issue. Now when I enable Camera View Recording, I see the OSD on both the Goggles recording and the LiveView stream, and when I disable it, the OSD is hidden in both places.

Side note: The name “Camera View Recording” is confusing. That description suggests that enabling it will record only what the actual camera sees, meaning that the OSD would NOT be included. Based on how the setting is designed to work, a better name might be “Include OSD/HUD/telemetry in recording”.

Hi, jphughan. Thank you for the update. We're glad that the issue has been resolved after resetting the Goggles. We'll forward your feedback to our relevant team. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.
5-2 22:11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules