341 24 4-29 13:10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SnowSkier Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Portugal

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to fly the Avata2 from inside my car? I mean, the signal will be weak or it will remain strong as if we were flying outside?
I saw one Billy Kyle vídeo from youtube and he was sitting inside the car flying the Avata2 without any problems.I do most of my footage alone and even with the PIP I still don't feel comfortable flying with goggles and not checking the surroundings.
But if I'm inside my car it will be different.
Has anyone tried this?

4-29 13:10
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

The signal will go through the glass, but not through the roof....

4-29 13:26
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Your signal will be slightly worse, but if just flying around the car it will be fine.

BUT, keep these things in mind:
1) RTH will go back to where you took off from, make sure to disable failsafe RTH and set it to hover instead.
2) if you have a distance limit and the car moves beyond that, drone will hit the limit even though you're technically closer.
4-29 13:28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried it once, doesn't quite feel the same.  If you take off from a spot about 10 feet away from your car and you are parked, you won't have to worry about resetting your home point or disabling RTH.  I don't ever set distance limits, even when near difference LAANC grid (I manage to keep control) but I do set altitude limits.
4-29 13:55
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, SnowSkier Pilot. Please be mindful when flying your DJI drone to avoid metal objects which may cause interference and unwanted incidents when flying your DJI Drone. You need to have a clear and unobstructed line of sight between the DJI Goggles/Remote Controller and the DJI drone and kindly please orient the antennas (if there's any) properly toward the DJI drone. You can shoot through window glass but the steel roof and the metal structure of the car will block the signal. Also, please check your local regulations about flying the drone, as some places marked this as illegal. Thank you and have a fly safe always.
4-30 05:03
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I saw drone tech media control his avata 2 just sat on his open boot and the interference was strong enough to make him stand away from the car but he was flying in CE and not FCC.
4-30 09:26
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 4-30 09:26
I saw drone tech media control his avata 2 just sat on his open boot and the interference was strong enough to make him stand away from the car but he was flying in CE and not FCC.

There's a hilarious story about a guy that had issues with a popular long-range 900mHz radio control system. After the company kept sending him new hardware and spending tons of time to debug what on earth is going on, they ended up concluding that he had issues because he was... wait for it... flying while barefoot

So yeah, RF is weird!
4-30 11:49
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly from inside my truck all the time.  Glass is transparent to RF.  I park facing my intended direction of flight whilst sitting in the climate-controlled comfort of my vehicle.  Nice having a convenient cup holder too!  Makes no difference in range.  You can even fly a considerable distance behind & to the sides.  When using goggles it is also more secure.
4-30 16:12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 4-30 11:49
There's a hilarious story about a guy that had issues with a popular long-range 900mHz radio control system. After the company kept sending him new hardware and spending tons of time to debug what on earth is going on, they ended up concluding that he had issues because he was... wait for it... flying while barefoot

So yeah, RF is weird!

I guess they didn't have assistant 2 to refresh the firmware, advised to change the make of the micro SD card being used and to calibrate the IMU after leaving it in a fridge for 2.6785849 hours to cool first lol The BS people spew beggars belief sometimes
4-30 22:58
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 22:58
I guess they didn't have assistant 2 to refresh the firmware, advised to change the make of the micro SD card being used and to calibrate the IMU after leaving it in a fridge for 2.6785849 hours to cool first lol The BS people spew beggars belief sometimes

With the old Phantom 3 models there was some validity to the fridge thing.  Some Phantom 3's were notoriously slow to initialize.  If you popped it in the freezer for a few minutes, then ran an IMU calibration immediately after removing it from the freezer, it greatly expedited the time between powering on & when the bird was ready to fly.
5-1 03:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-1 03:14
With the old Phantom 3 models there was some validity to the fridge thing.  Some Phantom 3's were notoriously slow to initialize.  If you popped it in the freezer for a few minutes, then ran an IMU calibration immediately after removing it from the freezer, it greatly expedited the time between powering on & when the bird was ready to fly.

Thank God we don't have to chill our drones these days lol
5-1 04:35
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 04:35
Thank God we don't have to chill our drones these days lol

LOL yup.  Haven't had to do that in a long time.  Hardly ever need to calibrate the IMU anymore.  The birds have become much better over the years.
5-1 04:41
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-1 04:41
LOL yup.  Haven't had to do that in a long time.  Hardly ever need to calibrate the IMU anymore.  The birds have become much better over the years.

I have not done any calibrations at all on the Avata 2 but I still refresh the FW on Assistant 2. It flies like a dream! BTW DB have you bought the FPV controller 3 yet?
5-1 05:10
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I fly from inside my car quite often, especially in winter or summer when inside is much more comfortable, but of course not very far, and if am lucky to reach start point by car
5-1 06:19
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 05:10
I have not done any calibrations at all on the Avata 2 but I still refresh the FW on Assistant 2. It flies like a dream! BTW DB have you bought the FPV controller 3 yet?

I had the FPV3 before the Avata 2.  The FPV arrived next day.  The Avata 2 took 5-6 days to arrive.
5-1 12:22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-1 12:22
I had the FPV3 before the Avata 2.  The FPV arrived next day.  The Avata 2 took 5-6 days to arrive.

Cool - how long did it take you to be comfortable flying in manual?
5-1 13:14
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 13:14
Cool - how long did it take you to be comfortable flying in manual?

I'm still not comfortable!  
5-1 13:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-1 13:42
I'm still not comfortable!

I don't think anyone is in manual - guess thats part of the fun. I am tempted to get the FPV RC3 and give it a go - would you recommend it or just stay safe with the motion controller
5-1 13:44
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-1 13:44
I don't think anyone is in manual - guess thats part of the fun. I am tempted to get the FPV RC3 and give it a go - would you recommend it or just stay safe with the motion controller

If you wanna finally make some use of DJI Care, manual is a great way to do it

But in all seriousness, manual/acro can be really fun in two scenarios in my opinion: 1) chasing things that move faster than S mode can go or 2) doing fpv freestyle.

None of which I'd really recommend doing with Avata series And after almost 6 years of (mostly freestyle) FPV, I am having more than enough fun with my Avatas mainly flying them in N/S.

Going manual can just be gateway drug leading to something like this:

5-1 13:53
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 13:44

I definitely recommend it just for the thrill.  Hit a sim for a bit, engage it at altitude so you have time to press the "Mother of Jesus please save me!" button, & have Care Refresh!  

5-1 14:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-1 13:53
If you wanna finally make some use of DJI Care, manual is a great way to do it

But in all seriousness, manual/acro can be really fun in two scenarios in my opinion: 1) chasing things that move faster than S mode can go or 2) doing fpv freestyle.

Oh wow - I will never, ever be able to fly like that lol That was amazing.
I am having a lot of fun flying in N/S modes with the RCM3 but the fact there is another level to this that I have never experienced - I guess it's just my nature to cautiously progress.
5-1 22:25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-1 14:23
I definitely recommend it just for the thrill.  Hit a sim for a bit, engage it at altitude so you have time to press the "Mother of Jesus please save me!" button, & have Care Refresh!

That pause button seems to be the saviour from what I've seen. I've got the two-year care refresh plan with DJI so have 4 claims I can make. I think I'll give it a go - no harm in trying (he says)
5-1 22:27
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-1 22:27
That pause button seems to be the saviour from what I've seen. I've got the two-year care refresh plan with DJI so have 4 claims I can make. I think I'll give it a go - no harm in trying (he says)

One problem with the "save me" button is if you use it after you crash into something, it could freak out and take you full speed into another crash.

But if you practice with a bit of altitude where there's nothing to hit, it's great knowing you can bail out, relax and start again by just taping that one button
5-2 02:00
Use props
Devgrp
lvl.2
United States

I'm a truck driver and i sit in the sleeper and fly my A1 without any issues
5-2 08:52
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have flown my mini 2 from the car (when it was too cold). No problem, just a bit less range.
5-15 20:26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules