Internal and SD card videos corrupt (sort of)
164 11 4-29 18:26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
airmark1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1608891 ft
United States

I have not been able to acces playable pics or videos on my Avata 2. This has been attempted via USB cable and quick transfer.

I have a recommend SD card.
I have also tried to record to the internal memory.
The drone records fine to the goggles when set to record to both. I have tried to record to drone only and this makes no diffence.
I am using the included cable.

The drone DOES record to both the internal memoery and SD card when each is selected. But they show as greyed out and not playable viewed on the drone's album. So, the 45 second video is there and even has a time showing. It is just not playable. There is no preview pic of the video. Just black boxed. When connect to a Apple device the drone doesn't show that there are any photos or videos on the drone. When connected to the iPhone via the Quck Tranfer again, it shows as a 45 second (or whatever) video that won't transfer, greyed out.

Again, this is for the drone body only, not goggles. But both internal and SD attempts have been made.

I formatted and re-formatted both memories several times. I reset the Avata to complet reset.

SO, here is the kicker. The drone can be connected as a mounted drive, then transferred to the iPad, iPhone, Mac etc via the Files app or Finder app. The videos are playable, editable just fine. This is a workaround and defiantly not as intended for the drone it takes several extra steps to get the videos to where I want them.

Ideas please and thank you.
Mark

Pic and video

Pic and video
4-29 18:26
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Can you elaborate on this part? - "When connect to a Apple device the drone doesn't show that there are any photos or videos on the drone."

Because later on you say it shows up in Files/Finder. So where doesn't it show up, in Photos/Image Capture? Because mine doesn't show any items in those either, but QuickTransfer still works.
4-29 19:01
Use props
airmark1
lvl.1
United States

Ah. OK. I figured that the drone connected to an iDevice would allow you to import photos directly into the Photos app. When connected to the iPad etc and with Photos app open, the option to Import photos does show up, but nothing is there.

Also, if the SD card is taken out of the drone and put into a SD card reader it acts the same as my above issue. NO videos or photos show up in the photos app, but they show up in the Files app.

Sorry and also, in the above “greyed out” videos they are selectable on the DJI app album but they do not load. There is an error message stating it is unable to play (I forget the exact message).
4-29 19:11
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

airmark1 Posted at 4-29 19:11
Ah. OK. I figured that the drone connected to an iDevice would allow you to import photos directly into the Photos app. When connected to the iPad etc and with Photos app open, the option to Import photos does show up, but nothing is there.

Yeah, it's expected for the SD card in a reader to behave the same way as that card in Avata since Avata is basically an SD card reader when connected via usb. My guess is DJI messed up DCF specs somehow, because it worked fine with old Avata.

Which iPad do you have? Any other device you can try DJI Fly on?
4-29 19:20
Use props
airmark1
lvl.1
United States

Here is an example of using the LightCut iPhone app and connecting using “device”. It connects just fine. But same issue.

IMG_3688.png
4-29 19:22
Use props
airmark1
lvl.1
United States

fichek Posted at 4-29 19:20
Yeah, it's expected for the SD card in a reader to behave the same way as that card in Avata since Avata is basically an SD card reader when connected via usb. My guess is DJI messed up DCF specs somehow, because it worked fine with old Avata.

Which iPad do you have? Any other device you can try DJI Fly on?

I have an Air 2S. And the SD card has always worked on all iPads and iPhones.

It seems that the Internal memory would at least work in the QuickTransfer since this is a DJI memory versus maybe a wrong SD card. BTW, I have tried 2 different SD cards that work fine elsewhere.

I am not a programmer or anything like it; but it seems to be an encoding issue from the drone itself when it writes or I guess even reading the files.
4-29 19:27
Use props
airmark1
lvl.1
United States

fichek Posted at 4-29 19:20

Which iPad do you have? Any other device you can try DJI Fly on?

And oh. Sorry. Now I get what you asked. I connected the Avata 2 to my daughter’s iPhone. Same exact issue with the quick transfer attempt. It connects just fine but shows greyed out data.
4-29 19:36
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Ok, I have found an issue with DJI's folder naming. According to DCF spec, subfolders of "DCIM" folder need to be named like "100DJIAA" (a number between 100 and 999 followed by 5 uppercase alphanumeric characters and/or underscore, but DJI has it as "DJI_001". Then the file names of each individual image/video need to be like "DJI_0001.mp4" (4 uppercase alphanumeric character and/or underscore followed by 4 numbers between 0000 and 9999), but DJI has them like "DJI_20240429000106_0001_D.mp4". So yeah, that's why apps like Photos, Image Capture, or a video editor who all use DCF spec will not load them. See here when I rename some folders and files, Image Capture instantly show those that fit DCF spec and keeps ignoring others:

As for why your QuickTransfer doesn't work, that is a separate issue and I have no ideas.
4-29 19:40
Use props
airmark1
lvl.1
United States

fichek Posted at 4-29 19:40
Ok, I have found an issue with DJI's folder naming. According to DCF spec, subfolders of "DCIM" folder need to be named like "100DJIAA" (a number between 100 and 999 followed by 5 uppercase alphanumeric characters and/or underscore, but DJI has it as "DJI_001". Then the file names of each individual image/video need to be like "DJI_0001.mp4" (4 uppercase alphanumeric character and/or underscore followed by 4 numbers between 0000 and 9999), but DJI has them like "DJI_20240429000106_0001_D.mp4". So yeah, that's why apps like Photos, Image Capture, or a video editor who all use DCF spec will not load them. See here when I rename some folders and files, Image Capture instantly show those that fit DCF spec and keeps ignoring others:

[view_image]

Hmmm. Interesting.

And thanks. Maybe a firmware update in the near future will help me.
And yes, I reinstalled the DJI firmware using the DJI assistant app and that didn’t help.

4-29 19:54
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

airmark1 Posted at 4-29 19:36
And oh. Sorry. Now I get what you asked. I connected the Avata 2 to my daughter’s iPhone. Same exact issue with the quick transfer attempt. It connects just fine but shows greyed out data.

Missed this reply so I went to connect my Avata 2 to various iOS devices around the house and QuickTransfer works on all of them. Guess something's wrong with your Avata 2 then, try reaching out to support again and ask them to be contacted by technical team, as the support reps themselves aren't gonna be able to deal with this. And good luck!
4-29 20:19
Use props
airmark1
lvl.1
United States

fichek Posted at 4-29 20:19
Missed this reply so I went to connect my Avata 2 to various iOS devices around the house and QuickTransfer works on all of them. Guess something's wrong with your Avata 2 then, try reaching out to support again and ask them to be contacted by technical team, as the support reps themselves aren't gonna be able to deal with this. And good luck!

Will do. Thank you.
4-29 20:29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Mark. Thank you for reaching out. Regarding the Quicktransfer issue, please try to turn off the mobile phone's cellular data or turn on airplane mode for testing. If the issue persists, please let us know.
5-5 22:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules