This Avata2 Fault can make you crash!!

5-1 08:03
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Reiterates the need to purchase Care Refresh.  
5-1 12:38
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-1 12:38
Reiterates the need to purchase Care Refresh.

I must confess this is the first drone in a while that I bought that for.   But mainly for crashing when shooting through the windows on Hadleigh Castle.  
5-1 21:12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 21:12
I must confess this is the first drone in a while that I bought that for.   But mainly for crashing when shooting through the windows on Hadleigh Castle.

It's really like any other insurance.  You don't need it until you need it.  At least Care Refresh on the Avata 2 is not as expensive as some of the full size drones.
5-2 03:04
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-2 03:04
It's really like any other insurance.  You don't need it until you need it.  At least Care Refresh on the Avata 2 is not as expensive as some of the full size drones.

I got the two year plan for less than £100 which seemed reasonable enough.    Especially if you use it just before you plan on upgrading.
5-2 03:07
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 03:07
I got the two year plan for less than £100 which seemed reasonable enough.    Especially if you use it just before you plan on upgrading.

I've seen it used that way before.  
5-2 03:39
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-2 03:39
I've seen it used that way before.

Yeah.  that last big daring gap to fly through fast before you part with it.
5-2 05:50
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 05:50
Yeah.  that last big daring gap to fly through fast before you part with it.

Exactly.  
5-2 13:44
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I had something similar happen to me yesterday!  I flew too low and hit some tall grass and the Avata 2 couldn't plow through and fell to the ground.  I freaked out and tried to disarm like all or my DIY FPV drones and accidentally switched it from Manual to Normal mode.  As a result, the Avata 2 somersaulted 25 feet on the ground before stopping.  Luckily all on grass and I had zero damage.

Two things I would like:
1. The Avata 2 needs better crash and IMU abnormality detection.  It will freak out and do crazy stuff for way too long before turning off the motors.
2. I would love to be able to customize the FPV controller more.

Arming and disarming via switch instead of a double button tap is better for emergencies.  Moving the modes to the right switch would really help with muscle memory.  I can't undo 3 years of flying FPV with my preferred switch layout.

I'll post a video of my crash in a day or two.
5-2 15:26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Duck Posted at 5-2 15:26
I had something similar happen to me yesterday!  I flew too low and hit some tall grass and the Avata 2 couldn't plow through and fell to the ground.  I freaked out and tried to disarm like all or my DIY FPV drones and accidentally switched it from Manual to Normal mode.  As a result, the Avata 2 somersaulted 25 feet on the ground before stopping.  Luckily all on grass and I had zero damage.

Two things I would like:

I agree still to this day when you panic on any dji fpv drone, everything goes out the window when it comes to calmly and securely wrestling back control thru the buttons whether you have the rc or the mc.
5-2 15:48
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

The Duck Posted at 5-2 15:26

Two things I would like:

You *can* set arm/disarm to the C1 switch (one that sets gimbal to max/mid/min by default), but with the modes Switch being physically labelled N/S/M I doubth they'll ever let us customise that.
And yeah, I agree N/S mode should do a lot better after crash. Otherwise even the pause button is just gonna make things worse.
5-2 18:20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 03:07
I got the two year plan for less than £100 which seemed reasonable enough.    Especially if you use it just before you plan on upgrading.

Yeah, £85 for a two-year term on the drone whereby 4 claims may be made for repair in which up to 2 can also be used for fly away replacement.
However, if the drone crashes through no fault of the flyer and due to a bug then this will be a warranty claim as a manufacturer defect and should not affect your four-claim refresh entitlement and thus no excess to pay.
5-3 10:00
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-3 10:00
Yeah, £85 for a two-year term on the drone whereby 4 claims may be made for repair in which up to 2 can also be used for fly away replacement.
However, if the drone crashes through no fault of the flyer and due to a bug then this will be a warranty claim as a manufacturer defect and should not affect your four-claim refresh entitlement and thus no excess to pay.

Yep. That’s the one.  Seems a fair deal.  
5-3 10:20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-3 10:20
Yep. That’s the one.  Seems a fair deal.

Cheaper than the avata 1 too
5-3 11:00
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-3 11:00
Cheaper than the avata 1 too

Well the drone is also cheaper than the avata 1 too.  Might be why it's been so popular.  
5-3 23:46
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-3 23:46
Well the drone is also cheaper than the avata 1 too.  Might be why it's been so popular.

One of many reasons - the biggest comparative USP for me was how much quieter the 2 is over the original.
5-4 00:13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 00:13
One of many reasons - the biggest comparative USP for me was how much quieter the 2 is over the original.

SWMBOd keep complaining how loud the Avata 2 is, I do try to explain the 1 was worse but she didnt seem to care.  
5-4 00:18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 00:18
SWMBOd keep complaining how loud the Avata 2 is, I do try to explain the 1 was worse but she didnt seem to care.

Hahahaha - she is right but it is a lot quieter than the Avata 1, Mavic Air and Phantom 4 Pro - those three drones are heard before being seen!
5-4 00:21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 00:21
Hahahaha - she is right but it is a lot quieter than the Avata 1, Mavic Air and Phantom 4 Pro - those three drones are heard before being seen!

True,  I just need to stop hovering in the office when she's working.   I told her in the summer she will like it as its free air conditioning.  
5-4 00:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 00:23
True,  I just need to stop hovering in the office when she's working.   I told her in the summer she will like it as its free air conditioning.

Let her wear the goggles too and turn on the fast defog fan which also helps to cool the face. Imgine her led in bed with the goggles on - it would look like scene out of pulp fiction lol
5-4 00:30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 00:30
Let her wear the goggles too and turn on the fast defog fan which also helps to cool the face. Imgine her led in bed with the goggles on - it would look like scene out of pulp fiction lol

Shes tried to put them on and cant.  Causing too much discomfort.
5-4 00:35
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks I will keep that in mind.
5-4 00:56
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 5-4 00:56
Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Hopefully DJI will resolve that one with a firmware update.  
5-4 02:07
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 00:35
Shes tried to put them on and cant.  Causing too much discomfort.

Probs ly best due to the diopter settings
5-4 03:24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-4 03:24
Probs ly best due to the diopter settings

I wear contacts so it’s pretty fast to change mine.
5-4 03:48
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

fichek Posted at 5-2 18:20
You *can* set arm/disarm to the C1 switch (one that sets gimbal to max/mid/min by default), but with the modes Switch being physically labelled N/S/M I doubth they'll ever let us customise that.
And yeah, I agree N/S mode should do a lot better after crash. Otherwise even the pause button is just gonna make things worse.

Thanks for the tip!  If I can use that switch for arm/disarm, then I can physically swap the switches.  They look  exactly the same except for the labels.  I'm taking it apart today.
5-4 06:33
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

The Duck Posted at 5-4 06:33
Thanks for the tip!  If I can use that switch for arm/disarm, then I can physically swap the switches.  They look  exactly the same except for the labels.  I'm taking it apart today.

Never mind.   I just saw a teardown of the FPV controller 2 and the switches are attached to PCBs so it isn't a simple swap.  I assume it's similar on the FPV Controller 3.
5-4 06:57
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 03:48
I wear contacts so it’s pretty fast to change mine.

That will help! I find myself having to constantly adjust mine (being short-sighted and thus wear glasses to watch TV/drive)
5-4 08:07
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
Flight distance : 408855 ft
United States

Thanks for video and info. This seems to be a real Bug v. the many pseudo bugs posted. Hanger of flyable quads is up to 4 with the acquisition of the Avata2.  The other 3 all require accelerometer/gyro recalibration after a hard impact.  Wondering on A2 if  after the red warning manual recalibration if possible would eliminate this issue?  
5-4 10:05
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 959892 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

The Duck Posted at 5-4 06:57
Never mind.   I just saw a teardown of the FPV controller 2 and the switches are attached to PCBs so it isn't a simple swap.  I assume it's similar on the FPV Controller 3.

Yeah, swapping them wouldn't be trivial, but you could splice the wires that connect those 2 pcbs and swap them around like that (as well as physically swapping the button covers) if you were really that set in your ways
5-4 10:16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It happened twice, let's make a video about it.
yesterday 22:12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 22:12
It happened twice, let's make a video about it.

Moe than twice,  there are lots of YouTube about this issue.
yesterday 22:59
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 5-16 22:59
Moe than twice,  there are lots of YouTube about this issue.

He had this twice (at least, that was what he said).
So it is something to think about.
yesterday 23:06
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 23:06
He had this twice (at least, that was what he said).
So it is something to think about.

My tip is not to crash into stuff.  
yesterday 23:09
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 5-16 23:09
My tip is not to crash into stuff.

That is a valid tip!