Drone collides with volcano crater wall
1255 39 5-2 05:35
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

The recording comes from a recorder that recorded a stripped down copy. Sure, the drone crashes and you have no video footage. When the drone crashed, the GPS signal gradually disappeared and this meant that it could no longer be controlled very quickly. Let's call it tuition money . As already mentioned, we got better every year. Feel free to write your opinion about it. The plan was to land in the crater. DJI Memories - Memories - Memories, should take a look here, those were the days of the Phantom 1 & 2

5-2 05:35
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Interesting that it still transmitted a video signal!
5-2 06:12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the environment it was flying in it did provide some interesting video footage.  Sadly loss of GPS signal ended that flight.  
5-2 12:52
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im not sorry for your loss,  you captured some amazing footage of the inside.   wow.
5-2 22:09
Use props
flowstream
lvl.1
Flight distance : 365755 ft

Australia

Ohhhh!...that hurts!
5-3 12:56
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Depp Posted at 5-2 06:12
Interesting that it still transmitted a video signal!

Why shouldn't it be transferred until the crash?
5-4 01:37
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-2 12:52
For the environment it was flying in it did provide some interesting video footage.  Sadly loss of GPS signal ended that flight.

Unfortunately, the high-resolution footage is on the memory card in the drone. All we were left with was the poorer resolution of the recorder recording.
5-4 01:40
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

DAFlys Posted at 5-2 22:09
Im not sorry for your loss,  you captured some amazing footage of the inside.   wow.

really really good.
5-4 01:42
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

flowstream Posted at 5-3 12:56
Ohhhh!...that hurts!

True, it hurts because you now risk less with the next drone. If three drones crash, then the entire operation was in vain and you have burned nothing but a lot of money.
5-4 01:44
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBDS Posted at 5-4 01:42
really really good.

You're very welcome.
5-4 02:07
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

MBDS Posted at 5-4 01:37
Why shouldn't it be transferred until the crash?

Well, if it loses GPS because it's so far down I thought I would lose the signal as well. Not sure why it crashed anyway.
5-4 02:35
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Depp Posted at 5-4 02:35
Well, if it loses GPS because it's so far down I thought I would lose the signal as well. Not sure why it crashed anyway.

There can be geophysical effects, movement of magma and rocks beneath the earth's surface can create electromagnetic fields. The electronic measuring devices used to monitor volcanoes can also cause electromagnetic interference. You move directly into a volcano and the drone is then in the most active area. Experience helps immensely in such operations, but wanting to plan 100 percent is almost naive. Maybe it was the loss of the GPS signal, from 4 satellites onwards it becomes problematic and that's how you see it on the recording 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 5. From now on I had no control. My wife took her eyes off me for about 20 seconds to get something out of the backpack, then it happened. When she was back with me and I told her that the drone had crashed, that look was immediately burned into my mind. The volcano was no longer the primary threat.
5-4 08:09
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5271693 ft
  • >>>
United States

?Was it the battery or the signal
5-4 09:37
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-4 09:37
?Was it the battery or the signal

The operating voltage is shown at the top left of the display, it is 11.4, so it is okay as it should be between 11.1 V and 12.6 V. So a reading of 11.4V during flight is within the normal range. So it was probably the signal. I can not xplain why the drone drifts so badly when the signal is lost. perhaps due to extreme sources of interference.
5-4 10:44
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

MBDS Posted at 5-4 01:40
Unfortunately, the high-resolution footage is on the memory card in the drone. All we were left with was the poorer resolution of the recorder recording.

Well you made the most with what you had.  
5-4 13:29
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MBDS Posted at 5-4 10:44
The operating voltage is shown at the top left of the display, it is 11.4, so it is okay as it should be between 11.1 V and 12.6 V. So a reading of 11.4V during flight is within the normal range. So it was probably the signal. I can not xplain why the drone drifts so badly when the signal is lost. perhaps due to extreme sources of interference.

Lava contains large amounts of iron which may cause magnetic interference.
5-4 17:39
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

MBDS Posted at 5-4 08:09
There can be geophysical effects, movement of magma and rocks beneath the earth's surface can create electromagnetic fields. The electronic measuring devices used to monitor volcanoes can also cause electromagnetic interference. You move directly into a volcano and the drone is then in the most active area. Experience helps immensely in such operations, but wanting to plan 100 percent is almost naive. Maybe it was the loss of the GPS signal, from 4 satellites onwards it becomes problematic and that's how you see it on the recording 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 5. From now on I had no control. My wife took her eyes off me for about 20 seconds to get something out of the backpack, then it happened. When she was back with me and I told her that the drone had crashed, that look was immediately burned into my mind. The volcano was no longer the primary threat.

LOL.  Always keep the wife happy!
Well, I have no experience with volcanos...
5-4 23:57
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-4 17:39
Lava contains large amounts of iron which may cause magnetic interference.

Yes, that is possible, you brought up a good point. A drone's IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) is an important part of its flight control systems and uses sensors such as gyroscopes and accelerometers to track the drone's movement and orientation. If magnetic interference occurs near lava or magma, it can affect these sensors, affecting flight controls. Thank you my friend
5-5 08:47
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Depp Posted at 5-4 23:57
LOL.  Always keep the wife happy!
Well, I have no experience with volcanos...

LOL Absolutely, she loves challenges. We plan and implement. Because we all know, on our deathbed we don't regret the things we did, no, we regret the things we didn't do . You are absolutely right, I know she is special to me. Is it a lady or a gentleman writing now?
5-5 09:02
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MBDS Posted at 5-5 08:47
Yes, that is possible, you brought up a good point. A drone's IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) is an important part of its flight control systems and uses sensors such as gyroscopes and accelerometers to track the drone's movement and orientation. If magnetic interference occurs near lava or magma, it can affect these sensors, affecting flight controls. Thank you my friend

I have had the same issue with drones on rooftops of buildings with steel in them. You need to state 20 ft from magnetic interfence, whether it's steel, rebar,  powerlines or I guess Lava.
5-5 09:10
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

MBDS Posted at 5-5 09:02
LOL Absolutely, she loves challenges. We plan and implement. Because we all know, on our deathbed we don't regret the things we did, no, we regret the things we didn't do . You are absolutely right, I know she is special to me. Is it a lady or a gentleman writing now?

I wouldn't call myself a gentleman but most certainly not a lady :-)
5-5 10:28
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-5 09:10
I have had the same issue with drones on rooftops of buildings with steel in them. You need to state 20 ft from magnetic interfence, whether it's steel, rebar,  powerlines or I guess Lava.

Absolutely, danger lurks everywhere. Preparation is also important for your deployment. An important point you raise. You have people to watch out for, but with us at the volcano we were completely alone.
5-6 01:43
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

MBDS Posted at 5-6 01:43
Absolutely, danger lurks everywhere. Preparation is also important for your deployment. An important point you raise. You have people to watch out for, but with us at the volcano we were completely alone.

Thank you very much for the clarifying words
5-6 01:45
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MBDS Posted at 5-6 01:43

Losing a drone is like losing a loved on. Sorry for that.
5-6 03:51
Use props
OddjobSurveyor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1684462 ft
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 5-6 03:51
Losing a drone is like losing a loved on. Sorry for that.

Agreed. We all have been at that part where the drone has an anomaly.
5-8 20:05
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing that you managed to record the whole episode transmitted back to the controller until the mishap 140m down the crater.
5-8 22:31
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 5-8 22:31
Amazing that you managed to record the whole episode transmitted back to the controller until the mishap 140m down the crater.

Please do not get this wrong. The memory card crashed with the drone. I had connected a recorder to the remote control and it recorded the display image. So at least I had a copy in poor resolution. The drone recorded the camera in 2.7K. But it's true that the drone in the crater still had radio contact is amazing. How good it would have been if the drone had made it back and we could see 2.7K footage
5-8 23:33
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBDS Posted at 5-8 23:33
Please do not get this wrong. The memory card crashed with the drone. I had connected a recorder to the remote control and it recorded the display image. So at least I had a copy in poor resolution. The drone recorded the camera in 2.7K. But it's true that the drone in the crater still had radio contact is amazing. How good it would have been if the drone had made it back and we could see 2.7K footage

I'm sure that that was your goal. Sadly, not to be, as the drone met its end - and the recorded footage with it.
5-8 23:37
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 5-8 23:37
I'm sure that that was your goal. Sadly, not to be, as the drone met its end - and the recorded footage with it.

Yes, landing and rising again, the ground conditions were suitable for that. But what is not, can still become. However, many factors have to work together optimally. This also applies to the new generation of drones. This recording is from 2014. Phantom II.
5-8 23:47
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBDS Posted at 5-8 23:47
Yes, landing and rising again, the ground conditions were suitable for that. But what is not, can still become. However, many factors have to work together optimally. This also applies to the new generation of drones. This recording is from 2014. Phantom II.

I only came into droning in April 2017, with a Phantom 4.
But the newer, smaller drones are much more convenient to carry around.
5-8 23:52
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 5-8 23:52
I only came into droning in April 2017, with a Phantom 4.
But the newer, smaller drones are much more convenient to carry around.

Absolutely, a lot has happened here in the last few years. DJI did a great job.
5-8 23:55
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBDS Posted at 5-8 23:55
Absolutely, a lot has happened here in the last few years. DJI did a great job.

I have no complaints about any of the five DJI drones I have owned in those seven years.
5-9 00:01
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567815 ft
United Kingdom

That’s called crash and burn
5-9 00:54
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 5-9 00:01
I have no complaints about any of the five DJI drones I have owned in those seven years.

5-9 01:43
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

Codgerzh2 Posted at 5-9 00:54
That’s called crash and burn

Absolutely, the spice of life, it gets a little adrenaline in your blood
5-9 01:44
Use props
djiuser_8YVZZYQ4evQA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222339 ft
Canada

Someone had do it. Cheers mate, good footage
5-11 12:20
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3

Germany

djiuser_8YVZZYQ4evQA Posted at 5-11 12:20
Someone had do it. Cheers mate, good footage

A pioneer who is the first to realize such an idea sets standards. This often makes a big difference compared to those who follow later and use similar techniques. The fact that someone is the first to venture or develop something also brings with it risks and challenges that often have to be overcome before others can follow. Me and Daniela started this in 2013 and wrote to DJI in 2013. We received feedback from DJI at the time and an idea was born?! We are eager to implement more in this direction again with new challenges on stratovolcanoes. We have ideas, but it always involves an investment and considerable effort. Flying over a volcano or steering the drone into the lava or magma is something that can be seen so often on the internet these days and shield volcanoes are usually used for this . Boring for us, no real challenge. Maybe DJI will sponsor us
5-13 02:08
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad to read (see)
5-16 22:14
Use props
MBDS
lvl.3