1237 16 2023-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Have I just completely miss understood how the tap focus works, because I can not wrap my head around on how it works. To me it seems like it's just all over the place, or the camera failed to focus properly.
You can see the examples, below.

You can see on the first image that I tapped pretty much in the middle of the shot, YET the left side of the image is now completely out of focus where the right side is in focus.

On the second image , the tap was pretty much top of the screen and now the top right is completely out of focus, but the lower part of the image was nice and crips.

This is horrendous autofocusing. It's just a guessing game whether you get images that are in focus. I'm starting to dread that all the photos are always out of focus with this drone. Looking back that the screen recoding I took of the flight I can see that some of the areas on both images peak a bit less, but that is really hard to see from a  mobile phones screen, probably wouldn't notice even if I had the RC2
focus2.JPG
focus.JPG
2023-10-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

It's not focus, it's exposure.
2023-10-18
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-18 09:54
It's not focus, it's exposure.

No it isn't. Since the drone is on full manual exposure mode, tapping on the screen will focus the camera.

That is exposure
2023-10-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please upload the original video/image file that shows the issue via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check it further. Please note that the DJI Air 3 features a spherical lens. Due to the optical properties of the lens, it’s difficult to ensure that the edges and the middle area of the footage will have the same resolution. Thus, it is normal that the edges are a bit blurrier than the middle area of the footage. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-10-18
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-18 17:06
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please upload the original video/image file that shows the issue via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check it further. Please note that the DJI Air 3 features a spherical lens. Due to the optical properties of the lens, it’s difficult to ensure that the edges and the middle area of the footage will have the same resolution. Thus, it is normal that the edges are a bit blurrier than the middle area of the footage. Thank you for your understanding.

I am aware of corner sharpness being slightly less sharp than the rest of the image, BUT this isn't corner sharp issue. There are clearly areas that are out of focus and it usually is one side of the image.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... 3UBc?usp=share_link
Here are some files where the out of focus areas are clearly visible. More noticeable on the 48MP image where the whole left side is pretty much out of focus
2023-10-18
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-18 17:06

Added few more example images to the folder, where the left side of the image is clearly more out of focus on the 24mm camera, focus is on infinity

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... 3UBc?usp=share_link
2023-10-18
Use props
struller
lvl.2
Germany

Hi Yazu, I recognized it in a weaker form at my new Air 3.  I´m sure you have an extremly decentred lens. It is typical that you don´t have a plan level of focus.

here a nice explanation of this phenomen
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/ho ... tered-your-lens-is/
2023-10-19
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

struller Posted at 10-19 00:19
Hi Yazu, I recognized it in a weaker form at my new Air 3.  I´m sure you have an extremly decentred lens. It is typical that you don´t have a plan level of focus.

here a nice explanation of this phenomen

Funny enough I looked at some images I had taken around September and didn't notice any major/similar out of focus problems in those images. Having always done a screen recording of the flight noticed I had used the tap focus whilst taking those images.

Going to have to do some testing later today and see what the resulting images are going to look like.Cheers for the link, will test with it in mind
2023-10-19
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Yeah there's something really weird going on with the autofocus or the 24mm lensThese were taken today and there are visible out of focus areas on the sides of the images. This isn't corner sharpness problem but a camera problem

On this image the focus was in the middle of the image, only tapped autofocus to focus and took the pic.
Right side out of focus, left in focus
Right side out of focus 2

But then it switches side, again focus has been take from the middle of the image
Left side out of focus

This is a really good image to show how bad the problem is, you can see the image get out of focus by just looking at the stone path. The right side is crispy and more you look left the more blurry it gets, and again the focus was taken from the middle of the image. Even the left side bech is out of focus where the right one is in focus.
Left side out of focus

There is either something horribly wrong with the main 24mm lens focus.
70mm lens seems fine as far as the images from today tell, focus always taken from the middle of the image and both sides are in focus

2023-10-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Yazu Posted at 10-18 19:37
I am aware of corner sharpness being slightly less sharp than the rest of the image, BUT this isn't corner sharp issue. There are clearly areas that are out of focus and it usually is one side of the image.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QLqxu_GAWjizVB0u5USAHZi8KVkn3UBc?usp=share_link

Thank you for your response, Yazu. In this case. I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2023-10-19
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Hello. Problem solved?
2-5 10:12
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I always have a sharp image where I pressed focus.
When focusing by pressing to the right or left of the center, on the opposite side the image has a blurred vertical stripe.
When focusing in the center from a long distance, blur appears on the right side of the image.
When focusing at close distances, the entire image is usually sharp.
It seems that when focusing on objects at long distances, the lens has a lot of extra travel and moves more than necessary.
Can you check the photos?

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... MJZOgaH?usp=sharing

2-5 10:19
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I found someone else's video, where some of the photos and videos also have similar problems. I.e. the problem is not always reproduced or it is reproduced in certain situations.

2-15 23:46
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21307762 ft
Spain

This also happens a bit to me, but not really noticeable in many occasions unless you really look into it on a big 4K screen.
2-16 10:47
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Drone.Hunter Posted at 2-5 10:19
I always have a sharp image where I pressed focus.
When focusing by pressing to the right or left of the center, on the opposite side the image has a blurred vertical stripe.
When focusing in the center from a long distance, blur appears on the right side of the image.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Due to the design of the DJI Air 3 camera, there may be a decrease in light entering the lens at the edges compared to the center. Therefore, the lens resolution may naturally be weaker in the corners, which may lead to blurriness in certain situations. We recommend adjusting the shooting angle to ensure that the subject is positioned in the center of the lens when capturing photos. Please rest assured that we will also provide your feedback to our engineers for evaluation. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2-18 03:21
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I tested it with manual focus.
The image and video are of high quality when, with manual focusing, one or two divisions from infinity, optimally, it is probably one and a half divisions from infinity (but it cannot be adjusted).
If set to infinity, the left edge is slightly out of focus, resulting in a poor quality image or video.
Is it possible to conduct an internal investigation to determine the operation of a wide-angle camera at infinity and near infinity?
Or add infinity correction to DJI Fly, set a limit so that the lens does not move too far, in steps of 0.5.
It's inconvenient to constantly switch between autofocus and manual focus.

Approximately the optimal focusing mode for shooting large areas:
vlcsnap-2024-03-10-16h34m15s257.png

3-10 03:39
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

The photo shows how it is blurry on one side and then on the other.
This is a clear problem with the alignment of the matrix or lens.
Is there any solution? Or I need to communicate with the seller or with the local service center (they have not yet responded to my request). I am in Kazakhstan.

DJI_20240211112728_0032_D.jpg
DJI_20240211112721_0031_D.jpg
3-19 06:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules