Missing a major controller behaviour
701 14 2023-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ivstas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 572703 ft
Germany

DJI RC controller is missing the most logical and most easy control behaviour for a newcomers.
It is the one that most playstation & xbox games use

TLDR: Left stick for horizontal movement, right stick for camera movement, gimbal tilt for a height control.

Most people buying a DJI drone already have a control pattern: if you ever play any game on playstation or xbox, you're familiar with joystick setup: left one is used for controlling the movement of your hero and right one is used for camera. Unfortunatelly, it's not possible to set this up in RC.

I spent quite a while time to get used to the set up and I'm still wondering why can't we just use the setup familiar to most people who ever played the game in their life.
Of course, games are missing the vertical/height control, but this one we can offset to the left "gimbal tilt" wheel.

While it is possible to setup joysticks, left "gimbal tilt" is reserved purely for, well, gimbal tilt and you can't change it.
Which is stupid, considering this could be changed with a simple software upgrade.

DJI engineers, if you happen to be on this forum, please add this feature
2023-12-9
Use props
fansed3485f8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

You're not playing a video game, you're flying an aircraft. The controllers are based on the controllers used for flying RC airplanes and helicopters, not playing C.O.D. and that's not gonna change anytime soon. You will learn this if you ever decide to fly FPV.

2023-12-9
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansed3485f8 Posted at 12-9 05:55
You're not playing a video game, you're flying an aircraft. The controllers are based on the controllers used for flying RC airplanes and helicopters, not playing C.O.D. and that's not gonna change anytime soon. You will learn this if you ever decide to fly FPV.

[view_image]

Exactly as stated above. Couldn't agree more.
2023-12-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"TLDR: Left stick for horizontal movement, right stick for camera movement, gimbal tilt for a height control."

Are you suggesting using the gimbal dial for the throttle?   If so that seems to be a recipe for disaster to me. It seems common sense to me to use the most easily and naturally accessed devices i.e. the joysticks, for flight controls and leave 'secondary' controls for other devices.

How would you control drone YAW?
2023-12-9
Use props
ivstas
lvl.1
Germany

I'm suggesting to use this wheel under button on the left to change the height.

While it seems weird to you, I repeat my arguments: controlling drone & camera position in horizontal space can be the same as in games, thus copying the muscle pattern a lot of people already have. The only thing that is missing from games is vertical movement, and this we can control with the wheel
2023-12-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What of yaw?
2023-12-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Maybe you ought to stick to games. The real world is too difficult for you.
2023-12-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I reckon this is the 1st time i have heard this request, therefore, very little call for i so, don't expect it to happen, ever.

Sean makes an excellent point concerning primary and secondary functionality and in my opinion, perhaps another reason this would never be introduced.
2023-12-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. We will gather this suggestion of yours and will forward it to our relevant team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-12-10
Use props
ivstas
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-12-10 00:15
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. We will gather this suggestion of yours and will forward it to our relevant team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi! Could you share any updates regarding this idea? What does relevant team think about it?
5-17 02:17
Use props
djiuser_zgZSSEwjvIDd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109626 ft
North Macedonia

Maybe sell the drone and keep playing XBOX.
The worst idea since i've been around this forum,
5-17 03:15
Use props
Mynah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3034081 ft
South Africa

Like fitting a bicycle handlebar to a car steering column simply 'cause a bicycle was the first mode of transport you mastered in your life?  Not that video game controllers can actually make a screen fly, virtual reality has fortunate limitations, like when you crash into something you can simply take a coffee break and try again...
5-17 03:15
Use props
Hawkeye Dronography
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1444895 ft
United States

fansed3485f8 Posted at 2023-12-9 05:55
You're not playing a video game, you're flying an aircraft. The controllers are based on the controllers used for flying RC airplanes and helicopters, not playing C.O.D. and that's not gonna change anytime soon. You will learn this if you ever decide to fly FPV.

[view_image]

I get the argument however it would be nice if we were able to remap the controller, I personally prefer the way it is currently but I could see why people would want it the other way around.
5-17 04:21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hawkeye Dronography Posted at 5-17 04:21
I get the argument however it would be nice if we were able to remap the controller, I personally prefer the way it is currently but I could see why people would want it the other way around.

Thank you for the suggestion. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. Thank you for your valued support.
5-17 23:19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ivstas Posted at 5-17 02:17
Hi! Could you share any updates regarding this idea? What does relevant team think about it?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We haven't received any updates with the requested feature but rest assured that we will continue to record such feedback to reach our designated team. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your understanding and support.
5-18 02:56
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules