Not working as webcam on ipad M4's
196 7 5-17 10:19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danielock
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi,

I wonder if its known that the action4 doesn't work on the new ipad M4 pro's (and i assume the new M2's) as we webcam. I select webcam and the ipad does see 'something' but mostly goes to black screen. When using the same cable to a sony A1 or sony zv-e1 and select its webcam mode it works fine. Tested it in facetime and skype...

Is this a known issue?

Daniel.
5-17 10:19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for further clarification. I will keep you posted.
5-17 20:47
Use props
danielock
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-17 20:47
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for further clarification. I will keep you posted.

Thanks forgot to add this, the same action4, settings, cable into a macbook air works fine so its probably some handshaking issue between the two resulting mostly in a black screen.
5-17 23:54
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

danielock Posted at 5-17 23:54
Thanks forgot to add this, the same action4, settings, cable into a macbook air works fine so its probably some handshaking issue between the two resulting mostly in a black screen.

Thank you for your response. Upon checking here, it shows that the webcam feature only works when using a Windows or Mac computer, iPad is not compatible. We appreciate your understanding.
5-19 01:34
Use props
danielock
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-19 01:34
Thank you for your response. Upon checking here, it shows that the webcam feature only works when using a Windows or Mac computer, iPad is not compatible. We appreciate your understanding.

I know the action4 is not compatible with the ipad4 thats why i posted it you should fix it ! Its not on the ipad side other products supporting the protocol work for example all the sony cameras work in usb video mode (like sony A1 or zv-e1). Extra info the audio works so if you use a app like monitor+ you can see the signal coming in audio is 100% working but the video for some reason stays black. The action4 is a handy camera to have in the bag and giving it extra uses like acting like a better cam for skype of facetime while on the road (esp if you also use a mic2 coming in !!) is something dji should do this multi use of your products is what sets you apart from other (cheaper) brands.
5-30 05:09
Use props
GolfRGT4
lvl.1

United States

danielock Posted at 5-30 05:09
I know the action4 is not compatible with the ipad4 thats why i posted it you should fix it ! Its not on the ipad side other products supporting the protocol work for example all the sony cameras work in usb video mode (like sony A1 or zv-e1). Extra info the audio works so if you use a app like monitor+ you can see the signal coming in audio is 100% working but the video for some reason stays black. The action4 is a handy camera to have in the bag and giving it extra uses like acting like a better cam for skype of facetime while on the road (esp if you also use a mic2 coming in !!) is something dji should do this multi use of your products is what sets you apart from other (cheaper) brands.

I have the same issue with both my Osmo Action 4 and my Osmo Pocket 3. I see it with 2 different USB-C iOS iPads (a Mini 6 and an 11" Pro 4th gen). However, I can hook up a Logitech Mevo cam in USB-C webcam mode to either iPad and that works. I have also tried an OBSBot Tail Air in USB-C webcam mode which works. Lastly I've used a NearStream VM33 in USB-C webcam mode and THAT works too. Heck I even just tried my Google Pixel in webcam mode and even that works with iOS.

The iOS devices seem to think that the DJI products are a sound device (when you first plug in the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 or Action 4, iOS asks you if you've plugged in an audio device). I think this has something to do with the devices NOT being in webcam mode when you first plug them in. In the DJI SW UI it asks you if you want to activate the Webcam mode after you plug it in, but maybe iOS at that point give up on looking for an AV device and you are stuck in Limbo. Just a guess but that's what it feels like.

Resolution will probably involve DJI working with Apple to figure it out. Hopefully they do because I really want this use case to work for a production flow of mine.
6-6 17:10
Use props
djiuser_cktF1udBIeTb
New

France

Me to don't work on my pc , even connected usb c it do charging but no notification to use the cam as a webcam for streaming any solution?
6-8 12:47
Use props
danielock
lvl.2
Netherlands

GolfRGT4 Posted at 6-6 17:10
I have the same issue with both my Osmo Action 4 and my Osmo Pocket 3. I see it with 2 different USB-C iOS iPads (a Mini 6 and an 11" Pro 4th gen). However, I can hook up a Logitech Mevo cam in USB-C webcam mode to either iPad and that works. I have also tried an OBSBot Tail Air in USB-C webcam mode which works. Lastly I've used a NearStream VM33 in USB-C webcam mode and THAT works too. Heck I even just tried my Google Pixel in webcam mode and even that works with iOS.

The iOS devices seem to think that the DJI products are a sound device (when you first plug in the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 or Action 4, iOS asks you if you've plugged in an audio device). I think this has something to do with the devices NOT being in webcam mode when you first plug them in. In the DJI SW UI it asks you if you want to activate the Webcam mode after you plug it in, but maybe iOS at that point give up on looking for an AV device and you are stuck in Limbo. Just a guess but that's what it feels like.

I think you are close in your view that something goes wrong in negotation. I do feel it think its a video stream and opens the audio correctly already but then somehow the resolution or some other video handshake goes wrong and it gives a black screen since it doesn't know what todo.
6-11 05:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules