6609 126 2023-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got my Mini 4 Pro Fri Sept 29 and got to fly it today, Sept 30. I was excited. Then my day was ruined.  I have an FPV, Mavic Air, Avata, Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro. I just -sold- my Mini 3 Pro in anticipation of the 4 but todays flight showed SO much lens flare. I've never seen anything like it.  I will be contacting DJI on Monday (unless I find they are available tomorrow, Sunday).   If I can return it for an exchange WITH the 14 day return period restarting when I get the return I will try that.  If DJI thinks this is an acceptable level of flare I will just return it.  If returning it for a "fix" does NOT result in the 14 day return period restarting when I get the "new" drone back then I'll just plain return it then re-purchase one. None of the videos I have seen on line show any footage that goes near the sun but I have shot hundreds of hours like the ones I'm posting here without any problems like this shows. Your thoughts?  Today I just stopped using it and used my Mavic 3 Pro. I enjoy having a Mini for a variety of reasons. I hope their is a resolution and this is an anomaly...

2023-9-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That's not the lens ... it's the way you are using it.
Even the most expensive lenses will flare badly if you want to shoot into the sun.
The think about flare is that if you don't like it, it's really easy to avoid.
2023-9-30
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 9-30 20:23
That's not the lens ... it's the way you are using it.
Even the most expensive lenses will flare badly if you want to shoot into the sun.
The think about flare is that if you don't like it, it's really easy to avoid.

As I said, I have five other drones, and none of them do anything like this
2023-9-30
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-30 20:08
I think DJI may have done you a solid.  Mastery of  J.J. Abrams cinematography skills have fallen right into your lap!  Now let's just hope you don't follow Jar-Jar's propensity for runinig every franchise that comes his way!  

I have no idea what you mean by sunshield
2023-9-30
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

This is indeed horrific. Ill keep my Mini3Pro. This is unacceptable. M4P would be then a "no-sun-drone". With similar experience from the past, i never go to buy a new drone immediately, but wait for others to test it and then to see if i will upgrade... so far id rather stay with the M3P

Just to clarify: u flew without ND-Filters? SOme cause horrible flares as well.

Greetings from Austria
2023-9-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

digibud Posted at 9-30 21:04
As I said, I have five other drones, and none of them do anything like this

My Nikon lenses would all do the same.
Your other drone cameras must be magic.
2023-10-1
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Nexus Redux Posted at 9-30 23:50
This is indeed horrific. Ill keep my Mini3Pro. This is unacceptable. M4P would be then a "no-sun-drone". With similar experience from the past, i never go to buy a new drone immediately, but wait for others to test it and then to see if i will upgrade... so far id rather stay with the M3P

Just to clarify: u flew without ND-Filters? SOme cause horrible flares as well.

I also find this very exaggerated what happens here, but can not understand exactly how the sunbeams were positioned here but it seems to occur in many different flight positions and I believe you that your other drones have not produced something like this, that should be proof enough. Question: did you use a fixed manual setting or automatic exposure ?
2023-10-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

A really thourough cleaning of the external glass cover might help. But, to support Labs, the best cameras in thee world do it. Just watch golf sometimes.
2023-10-1
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

Are there any other M4P users who can post some footage in sunlight to see if this is a universal problem?
It's true that any camera will give you lens flares when shooting towards the sun, but this seems excessive, and it's not even "pretty" lens flare.
In the pans at the end it passes the sun turning a good few degrees away and is still badly affected with the sun out of frame. Looks like it needs a hood.
2023-10-1
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Space Dream Posted at 10-1 03:55
I also find this very exaggerated what happens here, but can not understand exactly how the sunbeams were positioned here but it seems to occur in many different flight positions and I believe you that your other drones have not produced something like this, that should be proof enough. Question: did you use a fixed manual setting or automatic exposure ?

not sure about auto or not. I typically shoot manual but I'm not entirely sure on this
2023-10-1
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

digibud Posted at 10-1 06:51
not sure about auto or not. I typically shoot manual but I'm not entirely sure on this

Just did a test, of course it's not comparable to your shot and the sky is not totally blue. Is the evening sun at 16:00 o'clock and full in the backlight so the sun filmed with 2.7k/60fps which corresponds to 1440p/60fps and I find the Mini 3 Pro does quite well in automatic mode. I don't see any of the effects that were seen in your shot.

2023-10-1
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Space Dream Posted at 10-1 07:21
Just did a test, of course it's not comparable to your shot and the sky is not totally blue. Is the evening sun at 16:00 o'clock and full in the backlight so the sun filmed with 2.7k/60fps which corresponds to 1440p/60fps and I find the Mini 3 Pro does quite well in automatic mode. I don't see any of the effects that were seen in your shot.

He asked if any other M4P owners could check, he wanted to know if it was the same on all M4P's or his is faulty.
2023-10-1
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 10-1 11:35
He asked if any other M4P owners could check, he wanted to know if it was the same on all M4P's or his is faulty.

Should I comment on such a superfluous better knowing now ?

I prefer to leave it and thank you for the hint ...

2023-10-1
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Space Dream Posted at 10-1 12:34
Should I comment on such a superfluous better knowing now ?

I prefer to leave it and thank you for the hint ...

I only comment on facts that are helpful to the person asking a question. I can see your trying to be helpful.
2023-10-1
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That was my experience with the Mini 3 Pro also. No big deal.  I am returning this and reordering it.  If it is also bad then I will decide if I want to pick up a Mini 3 Pro or not. I have an extra controller and batteries so... we'll see.
2023-10-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, digibud. Sorry about the inconvenience. Have you already tried wiping the lens clean using a soft microfiber cloth and adding an ND filter? Also try to adjust the shooting angle, and avoid facing toward strong light sources. Thank you very much.
2023-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 10-1 20:11
Hi, digibud. Sorry about the inconvenience. Have you already tried wiping the lens clean using a soft microfiber cloth and adding an ND filter? Also try to adjust the shooting angle, and avoid facing toward strong light sources. Thank you very much.

and adding an ND filter?
You have no idea what you are talking about.
An ND filter won't make any difference.
2023-10-1
Use props
greg_p
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243865 ft

France

I think you didn't put the subshield. Here a video in evening at sunset (4k 30 auto), and when the sun is not in sight, no problem.

2023-10-1
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

greg_p Posted at 10-1 23:28
I think you didn't put the subshield. Here a video in evening at sunset (4k 30 auto), and when the sun is not in sight, no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_T4mrE_HA

Looks very good but what is a subshield ?

2023-10-2
Use props
greg_p
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243865 ft

France

This is what is on the camera pod by default, it's actually just an anti-glare shield
2023-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Space Dream Posted at 10-2 01:19
Looks very good but what is a subshield ?

It's a typo for sunshield ... a lens hood
.... which won't do anything to prevent lens flare when you point the lens at the sun.
2023-10-2
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Labroides Posted at 10-2 03:46
It's a typo for sunshield ... a lens hood
.... which won't do anything to revent lans flare when you point the lens at the sun.

LOL OK translations give me also other terms

Sunvisor & Sunshade but i know what it is

2023-10-2
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 10-1 20:11

I did not try wiping the lens but our forecast is cloudy days for the next two weeks therefore can't test the flare when it is near the sun. I am a retired professional photographer and understand flare but this was worse than anything I have ever seen. It may have been some film on the lens but I would expect others to see the problem in that case so I am hoping this is an anomaly.   The shooting angle is exactly the problem. It did not allow me to shoot anywhere near the sun in the manner my Mini 3 Pro or any other drone camera has allowed me to do. I would try wiping the lens but it doesn't appear I will have a clear sky to test with in the next two weeks so I am going to return it and order again and see what happens with a second one.
2023-10-2
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

greg_p Posted at 10-1 23:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_T4mrE_HA

thank you thank you. When the sun gets into view at 7 sec is what I expect. My drone would have thrown up ALL kinds of flare so there is hope a replacement will work well.  I'm assuming you did not have any kind of home made sun shield on that....

2023-10-2
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

greg_p Posted at 10-2 03:37
This is what is on the camera pod by default, it's actually just an anti-glare shield

Yes...the build in lens hood was on..
2023-10-2
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-2 06:51
Testing out the Mini 4 yesterday I came across this bizarre bit of flaring.   
I am calling it the  "Finger of God"...  

That is also some odd version of  lens flare and would be enough for me to return that drone also.  It is apparent to me that the tolerances the camera lenses and construction are being manufactured with are not very tight and result in some cameras that exhibit more or less lens flare. My mini 3 pro had very little and I see  very little from one of the videos on this thread so I'm hopeful an exchange will result in a decent camera or I will just stick with my Mavic  3 and Mavic 3 Pro which I can live with...
2023-10-2
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Well, that doesn't look right either, I rather guess the over otimized software

I can not imagine that this comes from the optical lens ...

Then rather from the installed sensor ...

2023-10-2
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

That's horrible and is certainly not right, it's like lightning bolts shooting down.

Cheers
2023-10-2
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Seriously? What did you expect? It is nowhere near as good as the other drones you mention based on specs alone. It’s a hobbyist drone and not a flying DSLR.
2023-10-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

digibud Posted at 10-2 08:00
I did not try wiping the lens but our forecast is cloudy days for the next two weeks therefore can't test the flare when it is near the sun. I am a retired professional photographer and understand flare but this was worse than anything I have ever seen. It may have been some film on the lens but I would expect others to see the problem in that case so I am hoping this is an anomaly.   The shooting angle is exactly the problem. It did not allow me to shoot anywhere near the sun in the manner my Mini 3 Pro or any other drone camera has allowed me to do. I would try wiping the lens but it doesn't appear I will have a clear sky to test with in the next two weeks so I am going to return it and order again and see what happens with a second one.

I see. If your Mini 4 Pro was bought from the DJI official online store, You can use this link to submit a repair/replacement request or contact the DJI live support from this link: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We appreciate your patience and support. Have a great day ahead.
2023-10-2
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 10-2 19:58
I see. If your Mini 4 Pro was bought from the DJI official online store, You can use this link to submit a repair/replacement request or contact the DJI live support from this link: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We appreciate your patience and support. Have a great day ahead.

Thanks. I have initiated a return and will make another order with the hopes that my current Mini 4 is not the norm. I have seen other Mini 4 Pro videos that did not show the problems I am seeing. Thank you.
2023-10-3
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

digibud Posted at 10-3 04:34
Thanks. I have initiated a return and will make another order with the hopes that my current Mini 4 is not the norm. I have seen other Mini 4 Pro videos that did not show the problems I am seeing. Thank you.

Hopefully the next Mini 4 Pro free from spider threads ;-)

Wish you this time a flawless Mini 4 Pro ...

2023-10-3
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TP-FPV Posted at 10-2 18:30
Seriously? What did you expect? It is nowhere near as good as the other drones you mention based on specs alone. It’s a hobbyist drone and not a flying DSLR.

I expected something reasonably close to my Mini 3 Pro or old Mavic Air. The flare is dramatically worse with this drone. I also expect it to be nearly as good as other footage I have seen from other Mini 4 Pro's when they are shooting near or into the sun. Sound reasonable to you? Mine is going back and I am reordering in the hopes this was just an example of poor QC.  Anything, including camera lenses, that comes off an assembly line has some variation. The thing that makes such things expensive is often the degree to which the QC is held tightly. If the standards are super high then many are rejected and the product is expensive. If they are loose then you get a wide variation. After reviewing other Mini 4 Pro videos I have seen quite a few with much, much better, lower flare and as a result will be returning this and reordering with the hopes I will get a better lens. So yeah...seriously... I was expecting a better camera. Something as good as my other lower end, cheaper DJI drones.
2023-10-3
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Space Dream Posted at 10-3 05:39
Hopefully the next Mini 4 Pro gfre from spider threads ;-)

Wish you this time a flawless Mini 4 Pro ...

Fingers, toes crossed. Maybe I'll order 3 or 4 and keep the best one? LOL
2023-10-3
Use props
Nyikhmur2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5781 ft
Hungary

Look at this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D924%26typeid%3D924 Same issue in the mega.nz uploaded image. Hope it is not widespread, and not all units are affected...
2023-10-3
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nyikhmur2 Posted at 10-3 09:18
Look at this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=298628&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D924%26typeid%3D924 Same issue in the mega.nz uploaded image. Hope it is not widespread, and not all units are affected...

that link just comes back to this thread so I'm not sure what it is referencing but I have seen some other "good" Mini 4 Pro clips that had movement directly to the sun so I'm assuming it is a Quality Control issue with some lenses better and some worse so I am returning this an reordering...
2023-10-3
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

digibud Posted at 10-3 09:45
that link just comes back to this thread so I'm not sure what it is referencing but I have seen some other "good" Mini 4 Pro clips that had movement directly to the sun so I'm assuming it is a Quality Control issue with some lenses better and some worse so I am returning this an reordering...

I have a Mini 2, Air 2S and Movic 3 Classic, I have NEVER seen the flare like your has. I do a lot of sunset hyperlapse and just general flying around, sun in front, to the side and from behind. I believe you are right in sending it back. I'm pretty sure you got a bad one.
2023-10-3
Use props
Nyikhmur2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5781 ft
Hungary

digibud Posted at 10-3 09:45

Sorry I have copied the wrong link, this is the right one: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D924%26typeid%3D924

Download the video from the thread link at mega.nz it will be the same as yours. Post no 6 in the thread i linked.
2023-10-3
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-3 10:25
Tried to reproduce the odd "plasma" flaring I experienced the other day but I was unable to do so.  What I am seeing here is what I would consider acceptable given the sun angles.  I will test again around 5 pm, sun permitting, which is around the time I was flying the other day.

https://youtu.be/T0nCIRP_Adg?si=5FdIrThmDDLF73DK

Agreed.  It's boxed and return to return. The next ironic/humorous thing is I can't reorder because the prediction is nothing but cloud cover for the next week plus and I want to test the next one (yeah...reordering) with some sunlight. Sigh.  I'll have to live with using my Mav3 or Mav3 Pro or Avata or....
2023-10-3
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-3 10:25
Tried to reproduce the odd "plasma" flaring I experienced the other day but I was unable to do so.  What I am seeing here is what I would consider acceptable given the sun angles.  I will test again around 5 pm, sun permitting, which is around the time I was flying the other day.

https://youtu.be/T0nCIRP_Adg?si=5FdIrThmDDLF73DK

I'm fairly sure you were sent the Mini 4 Pro that was meant for me....sigh. Thanks. It has solidified my decision to re-order. I appreciate it even if my wife doesn't.
2023-10-3
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules