46764 1324 2022-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

Urbsi Posted at 10-27 02:10
Now they told me to they´ll send a new one. Serial no: 5S4DK8Q...

So always produced in 2022/08.
I wish you good luck but I am not very hopeful.
2022-10-27
Use props
djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I´m looking forward to your result and eventually interested to buy one.
2022-10-27
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S Posted at 10-27 02:13
I´m looking forward to your result and eventually interested to buy one.

Sorry to derail the conversation, but from your profile, it looks like you have the A2 and the OA3. Do you notice a difference in the image between them in Ultrawide without stabilization?
2022-10-27
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 02:12
So always produced in 2022/08.
I wish you good luck but I am not very hopeful.

Sure, that "Q" means 08/22? My old one was "H".

If DJI was aware of an issue, they would have investigate which batches were affected and they would not send them, right?!
2022-10-27
Use props
djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

fish sticks Posted at 10-27 02:19
Sorry to derail the conversation, but from your profile, it looks like you have the A2 and the OA3. Do you notice a difference in the image between them in Ultrawide without stabilization?

Comparison DJI Action 2 and DJI Action 3 - ultra-wide and Rocksteady off
DJI Action 2:
DJI Action 3:
2022-10-27
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S Posted at 10-27 02:54
DJI Action 2: https://youtu.be/NvNOcBM6Lhc
DJI Action 3: https://youtu.be/uZG21bV6-OQ

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and actually testing with video!

I'm a bit surprised to see that "the focal length" seems to be slightly different. It looks like the OA3 is very slightly zoomed in compared to the A2, which should help when comparing detail (if it is optical, and not a digital crop). It also looks to me that the two videos are very close in terms of sharpness, the A2 slightly less sharp. Interesting to hear what others think...

Thanks again for the effort, I wish you more of those sunny days, you seem to be getting for every test so far.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Urbsi Posted at 10-27 02:36
Sure, that "Q" means 08/22? My old one was "H".

If DJI was aware of an issue, they would have investigate which batches were affected and they would not send them, right?!

Sorry maybe you are right, it could be 2022/09.
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think that one shows a much better A3 than A2.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Did you install the +2 lens on OA3 in that test or not?
2022-10-27
Use props
djiuser_zEKgdWRops1S
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 03:30
Did you install the +2 lens on OA3 in that test or not?

In the test OA2/OA3 the +2 diopter-lens was not installed.
2022-10-27
Use props
tpetran
lvl.2
Croatia

Will we finally get to a conclusion that all cameras are the same? I'm getting tired.

At 30cm focus is awful on every and each one but that is not the case for meaningless tests. One guy tests indoor with low light, one tests on A4 sheet, one on A3, one has rocksteady on, one doesn't, one is in wide, one is in dewarp, one in cinelike, one in normal color,... That is the culprit for different results, not the difference in each camera unit being faulty or not.

Every footage I've seen in a setting this camera is intented for is GREAT.

Every footage I've seen in a setting this camera is NOT intented for is AWFUL.

What would satisfy you people? I made intensive tests with my camera and I could fool you in my unit being faulty and at the same time being the best one you've seen, just by selecting different scenarios. You think there are better ones out there but in reality there aren't. Just different usage cases that excerbates cameras weaknesses or stregnths.

I think that some of the loudest people on here have to finally get the replacement unit to realize that they are all the same. Does that mean all are faulty? Absolutely not. They are all what they are. Action cameras for outdoor great light action shooting. Not for close focus low light test sheets analyzing.

I'm sad that everyone is bashing DJI making a faulty product when in reality all you people need to hop of the bad focus hype train and start to use the camera as it should be used.

2022-10-27
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I Hear ya:  Action speaks louder than words I guess.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I just finished shooting the battle between the replacement OA3 and the GoPro HERO 6, I shot quite a bit of video dwelling on the details, never going below 40 cm.
Both in 4K 4:3, 30 fps, the OA3 in Wide with RockSteady internal stabilization and natural color for more detail, and the HERO 6 stabilized in post production with Gyroflow and flat color, which from 4:3 obviously saves a cropped 16:9, so let's say OA3 internally stabilizes by cropping, HERO 6 cropped in post production through a software.
I don't have time to edit a comparative movie now,  I will do it later, I just post two frames, without adding more.
I don't put them here because they are PNG heavy, I want to keep the quality since the software I use to extract the frames does it at the highest quality possible.
I simply attach a super zoom on this two frames, downloadable in the link.
I stand firmly by my opinion, that result on the right is not what I expect from a brand new action cam in 2022.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... gi/view?usp=sharing

comparation.jpg
2022-10-27
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

tpetran Posted at 10-27 04:40
Will we finally get to a conclusion that all cameras are the same? I'm getting tired.

At 30cm focus is awful on every and each one but that is not the case for meaningless tests. One guy tests indoor with low light, one tests on A4 sheet, one on A3, one has rocksteady on, one doesn't, one is in wide, one is in dewarp, one in cinelike, one in normal color,... That is the culprit for different results, not the difference in each camera unit being faulty or not.

Thanks. On the one hand.

But on the other hand: DJI replaces Cams within the warranty without any costs. For what? They dont have to do that, if everything is correctly callibrated or whatever.

2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Urbsi Posted at 10-27 04:52
Thanks. On the one hand.

But on the other hand: DJI replaces Cams within the warranty without any costs. For what? They dont have to do that, if everything is correctly callibrated or whatever.

Because customer complains and if he believes something is not right , then the policy is to issue new or refurb, and so the old camera goes back to one day make someone happy as a refurb as new.

I think they say proof of the pudding is in the eating. This camera is an action camera and almost all the action footage we see is great, if you want to test something particularly a camera you can almost certainly set it up to make your argument, after all you don’t sit happy if your test proves you wrong. The OP here will go to the ends of the earth rather than use the camera as it is suppose to be used. He says himself he knows very little is not a professional and all his tests have been shown to be nothing more than his own indulgence., i mean djis worse camera ever is on the FPV drone and he owns one of them that says a lot about what he knows about cameras.
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 04:48
I just finished shooting the battle between the replacement OA3 and the GoPro HERO 6, I shot quite a bit of video dwelling on the details, never going below 40 cm.
Both in 4K 4:3, 30 fps, the OA3 in Wide with RockSteady internal stabilization and natural color for more detail, and the HERO 6 stabilized in post production with Gyroflow and flat color, which from 4:3 obviously saves a cropped 16:9, so let's say OA3 internally stabilizes by cropping, HERO 6 cropped in post production through a software.
I don't have time to edit a comparative movie now,  I will do it later, I just post two frames, without adding more.

Again looking at the full pictures it look very much like one is 16.9 and one is 4x3 you clearly have zoomed in further on one than the other.
Taking both photos or screen grabs it clear the full frame of the A3 from corner to corner has much more of the scene in focus and is much sharper. It also concerns me that because you have zoomed in further on the A3 photo than the go pro photo you are naturally going to get a softer picture. This leaf you posted is also not the centre of the frame.
But clearly edge to edge the action which is also a wider photo screen grab is sharper over all. The A3 photo 31mb the GP 21mb , so again not apples with apples here.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-27 05:44
Again looking at the full pictures it look very much like one is 16.9 and one is 4x3 you clearly have zoomed in further on one than the other.
Taking both photos or screen grabs it clear the full frame of the A3 from corner to corner has much more of the scene in focus and is much sharper. It also concerns me that because you have zoomed in further on the A3 photo than the go pro photo you are naturally going to get a softer picture. This leaf you posted is also not the centre of the frame.
But clearly edge to edge the action which is also a wider photo screen grab is sharper over all. The A3 photo 31mb the GP 21mb , so again not apples with apples here.

Wait for the movie, where you will also see it centered, as you will also see the off-center one on GoPro, then if you want you can make a better comparison.
I assure you that centered or not there is a gulf.
If the difference were small then I would feel the same way.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I remember when at the time GoPro made the "Karma" drone, it was an a-hole of epochal dimensions, and in fact it never tried to make drones again.
DJI with drones, on the other hand, is the undisputed world leader.
So I say it's better for GoPro to do action cams, and DJI to do drones.
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 05:51
Wait for the movie, where you will also see it centered, as you will also see the off-center one on GoPro, then if you want you can make a better comparison.
I assure you that centered or not there is a gulf.
If the difference were small then I would feel the same way.

The difference is you are posting stuff than can only be judged visually and you are in full control of what and how you post. Last two photos posted clearly show edge to edge the go pro is not great and lags behind.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-27 06:03
The difference is you are posting stuff than can only be judged visually and you are in full control of what and how you post. Last two photos posted clearly show edge to edge the go pro is not great and lags behind.

Sure, i agree.
I will post both the sources so if you want you can make your own evaluations.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I am uploading the videos, he made more by putting the GoPro HERO 6 in "GoPro" mode, so not flat.
Small comparison as above, then of course you will look at the sources.

comparation.jpg
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

And finally, a comparison of OA3 with and without +2 lens.
I will not tell you which one it is in, you will see for yourself.
Always a frame extracted and cropped from a video with the setings I reported earlier.

2022-10-27
Use props
djiuser_mRT3IobkwCrF
lvl.2

Germany

so old = new?
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 06:49
And finally, a comparison of OA3 with and without +2 lens.
I will not tell you which one it is in, you will see for yourself.
Always a frame extracted and cropped from a video with the setings I reported earlier.

Again its no use in putting a lens on if you are not showing the full picture. You need to judge the camera and its lens on the job its supposed to do. Its not a macro lens and you shouldn’t be trying to make it one. Its a lens on an action camera trying to keep as much of the frame in focus as it possibly can. But you seem more intent on trying to prove somehow this action camera should show a shallow depth of field . Looking at both one is more cropped than the other, but when I look at the whole frame the a3 is by far the better picture overall .
If you take a photo of a leaf like that and the wind blows even slightly more in one than the other you can show what ever you like.
A really good test would be to shoot a 2 minute video show before and after editing. No camera is perfect but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

Here are three videos, obviously don't view them online but download them.
I also put the GoPro one not stabilized in post production, so you can see how Gyroflow stabilizes without the slightest loss of quality, is normal, a computer has time to do it right, an action cam while it is recording much less.
For example if RockSteady deprecating quality by stabilizing in realtime that's why we repeatedly asked for gyro data in the OA3 footage, to post stabilize it without a big loss of quality, it's an ignorant operation totally free.
But it is also very convenient to have it stabilized right away, so why not have a choice?
The GoPro color profile is horrendous, which is why so many record videos in flat mode and then apply LUTs in post production, but I wanted to leave them at the default, as on the OA3.
OA3 can be seen well in the distance has the sharpness much more pumped up, maybe they should have left it as before.
GoPro suffers on sharpness when there is a lot of movement, OA3 wins at that juncture for me.
Curious about your opinions, videos also forwarded to DJI technical support.
I always try to be as objective as possible when making these evaluations, I don't get influenced by DJI or GoPro logos, I look and evaluate.
The tiger mosquitoes were literally eating me, you will see it in my shadow!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Py/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 3E/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... MP/view?usp=sharing
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-27 07:21
Again its no use in putting a lens on if you are not showing the full picture. You need to judge the camera and its lens on the job its supposed to do. Its not a macro lens and you shouldn’t be trying to make it one. Its a lens on an action camera trying to keep as much of the frame in focus as it possibly can. But you seem more intent on trying to prove somehow this action camera should show a shallow depth of field . Looking at both one is more cropped than the other, but when I look at the whole frame the a3 is by far the better picture overall .
If you take a photo of a leaf like that and the wind blows even slightly more in one than the other you can show what ever you like.
A really good test would be to shoot a 2 minute video show before and after editing. No camera is perfect but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Correct, but I was being devoured by tiger mosquitoes!
Tomorrow I'll do it by resting the cam on a tripod and I share the source video.
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

The videos are downloadable so they are comparisons that you can fre as well, I mean you can verify them, they are not things that I make up or mystify.
Now DJI should tell us why anyone would spend $359 for their OA3 when with a GoPro HERO 6 that can be found used around $150 and even less, you can get better results in many contexts.
Only this I ask.
If there was a difference at the WOW level then yes, but where is the WOW?
It's a simple question.

2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 08:33
The videos are downloadable so they are comparisons that you can fre as well, I mean you can verify them, they are not things that I make up or mystify.
Now DJI should tell us why anyone would spend $359 for their OA3 when with a GoPro HERO 6 that can be found used around $150 and even less, you can get better results in many contexts.
Only this I ask.

You still have failed to do any test that can stand up to any scrutiny. Its a joke. All your doing is taking screen grabs zooming them in and expecting them to be sharp. This is a wide angle lens no need to zoom anything. And if you post the full frame its clear that go pro picture falls apart as you zoom out it’s ridiculous posting and completely biased and nothing to do with this action cam its just self indulgent rubbish.
First picture you posted one was zoomed a lot more than the other is this the same for all photos ? Or are you shooting one at a different distance than the other.?
2022-10-27
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-27 08:41
You still have failed to do any test that can stand up to any scrutiny. Its a joke. All your doing is taking screen grabs zooming them in and expecting them to be sharp. This is a wide angle lens no need to zoom anything. And if you post the full frame its clear that go pro picture falls apart as you zoom out it’s ridiculous posting and completely biased and nothing to do with this action cam its just self indulgent rubbish.
First picture you posted one was zoomed a lot more than the other is this the same for all photos ? Or are you shooting one at a different distance than the other.?

Those enlargements are so that we don't have to watch it on big screens, it's a help. The fact that the camera is small does not mean that we will watch the output on monitors up to 15". They are action cameras with high resolution, so that it can be viewed comfortably on large TVs and you can see it there even without zoom. Why is there 4K when there is picture HD ready?
2022-10-27
Use props
djiuser_pypBBvaqbpG0
lvl.1

Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 10-27 08:41
First picture you posted one was zoomed a lot more than the other is this the same for all photos ? Or are you shooting one at a different distance than the other.?

I agree. The OA3 is the Action Camera with the widest lens ever. It's even wider than the Gopro 11. The field of view has to be different in all 1:1 comparisons.
Regards
Andreas
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 10-27 08:49
Those enlargements are so that we don't have to watch it on big screens, it's a help. The fact that the camera is small does not mean that we will watch the output on monitors up to 15". They are action cameras with high resolution, so that it can be viewed comfortably on large TVs and you can see it there even without zoom. Why is there 4K when there is picture HD ready?

Ive looked at the large screen grabs and they show the go pro to be pretty bad when judge the whole frame.
Its also more than clear the OP is not honest if you look at the first two screen grabs its more than clear his distance for focus was a lot closer with the a3, but no one says anything about that, because its done that way to accentuate his jaundiced point.
I am watching footage here on a 55” tv and its exceptional even in 1080p . But these tests are only trying to show the camera is not hitting focus at 30cm every time .
Go look at the go pro in full view and tell me its better than the A3. Its not.
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_pypBBvaqbpG0 Posted at 10-27 08:51
I agree. The OA3 is the Action Camera with the widest lens ever. It's even wider than the Gopro 11. The field of view has to be different in all 1:1 comparisons.
Regards
Andreas

The testing is pretty much useless, almost every posted finished video I’ve seen bares no resemblance to what I’m seeing here. And further more you can see some very similar tests on this forum which show totally different results to what the OP is showing.
2022-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 10-27 08:49
Those enlargements are so that we don't have to watch it on big screens, it's a help. The fact that the camera is small does not mean that we will watch the output on monitors up to 15". They are action cameras with high resolution, so that it can be viewed comfortably on large TVs and you can see it there even without zoom. Why is there 4K when there is picture HD ready?

Here you go watch this in high res on YT or on your TV its pretty good.

2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I absolutely agree on the issue of different FOV for the same number of sensor Mpixels, but at that point I personally would have preferred a real uncropped Wide, or perhaps an Ultra-Wide with more Mpixels on the sensor.
Of course, not for $359!
However on different distances so as to maintain proportion the difference is there anyway.
So I made a mistake in purchasing OA3, that's for sure.
2022-10-27
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-27 09:22
Here you go watch this in high res on YT or on your TV its pretty good.

https://youtu.be/phbFmHIBILY

From 50 meters it is highly usable, without a competitor (the better pieces). The landscapes are great... I have no more words. Buy it and then write and share your thoughts. No irony. I don't expect output from it, like from a DSLR crop, full frame, razor sharp (not even physically possible), but the entire depth of field is SIGNIFICANTLY moved far, the meaning of the word action from 30cm to infinity is completely lost here and compared to its predecessors, it is a huge step backwards. Either they couldn't get the lens assembly to match the sensor size and the huge angle of view, or the lenses were just out of tune.....it's up to the engineers to add those beneficial +2 diopters somewhere....
2022-10-27
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevoB Posted at 10-27 09:58
From 50 meters it is highly usable, without a competitor (the better pieces). The landscapes are great... I have no more words. Buy it and then write and share your thoughts. No irony. I don't expect output from it, like from a DSLR crop, full frame, razor sharp (not even physically possible), but the entire depth of field is SIGNIFICANTLY moved far, the meaning of the word action from 30cm to infinity is completely lost here and compared to its predecessors, it is a huge step backwards. Either they couldn't get the lens assembly to match the sensor size and the huge angle of view, or the lenses were just out of tune.....it's up to the engineers to add those beneficial +2 diopters somewhere....

---Deleted---
2022-10-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

StevoB Posted at 10-27 09:58

I am delighted with OA3 for my aerial use of it, I would hardly use it as a vlogger to shoot me in the face.
I consider OA3 an action cam that beyond 1 meter no problem.
What is puzzling is how GoPro 11 also being ultra-wide was able to play better with focus.
Experience? Yes.
2022-10-27
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Iancraig10 Posted at 10-27 10:05
That video has so much contrast added that it looks very impressive at first. Especially with distant stuff. Not something I’d particularly enjoy watching as it is with my own videos. I’d have to bring that contrast down I think.

My camera doesn’t give that much contrast, so I’m guessing he upped it in post.

Seems edited to me too. But no software adjustment will correct the shifted depth of field.
2022-10-27
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

MarcoR Posted at 10-27 10:06
I am delighted with OA3 for my aerial use of it, I would hardly use it as a vlogger to shoot me in the face.
I consider OA3 an action cam that beyond 1 meter no problem.
What is puzzling is how GoPro 11 also being ultra-wide was able to play better with focus.

Well, they know it....at least as far as the optics are concerned....Well, I don't know if GP 11 would be a win, they have their own problems inherited from generation to generation :/ Shorter videos, let's say yes.
2022-10-27
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevoB Posted at 10-27 10:09
Seems edited to me too. But no software adjustment will correct the shifted depth of field.

---Deleted---
2022-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules