o(^-^)o
Joost GT3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 990551 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2018-4-3 09:07
@Joost GT3
You are correct - it was a completely awesome encounter and one of the best close-up photos I've seen on here!
(And you're also correct-  it WAS a buzzard (buteo buteo) in winter plumage. We don't get many Red-Tail Hawks on this side of the pond!

Yeah, I think the buteo buteo is called a buzzard on this side of the pond. They DO resemble the red tail or red shoulder hawk a lot though!
In Dutch, a red tail hawk i translated as a "rood staart buizerd", so I guess there is a lot of etymological mixup going on!
On the other hand, a "hawk" translates to "havik" in Dutch, which is a Accipiter gentilis... which is a completely different bird, albeit more or less the same size as buteo buteo...
2018-4-3
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the US we refer to vultures as buzzards. Buzzard conjures up thoughts of ugly, nasty, carrion feeders.  We prefer the term hawk or falcon here. I have 2 bald eagles that nest near my house.  I hope never to run into them in the sky.  They will crush my drone and take it home as a trophy.
2018-4-3
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

What a beautiful bird!
2018-4-3
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Very cool video and still shots.
2018-4-3
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks guys!
@Mavic Ace; you're so lucky to have those fantastic animals round you! But I understand your concern... those talons can do some serious damage, and I recon they will!
2018-4-3
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

The frames with the bird are fantastic ! But you are lucky ...more than lucky. Thanks for sharing.
2018-4-3
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft

beatiful animal!
thanks for sharing.
2018-4-3
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Nice encounter and great detail in the slo-mo
2018-4-3
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

astrofly Posted at 2018-4-3 12:49
The frames with the bird are fantastic ! But you are lucky ...more than lucky. Thanks for sharing.

Thans mate, I do feel lucky!
2018-4-4
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

AS I was so impressed with the moment, I made a composite image of the separate frames... Every time I watch the picture or the video again, I am awestruck all over! :-)

2018-4-4
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Great video.  Guess metal, plastic, and batteries wasn't on his menu that day.
2018-4-4
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

A master of the air - keeping your Mavic locked on while doing a wingover and acceleration move out (cupped wings at the exit).
2018-4-4
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

Woooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!! wonderful!!! Very lucky!!!! The hawk is looking at you like saying: "what are you doing here? Are you going to steal my food?"
2018-4-4
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Italy

@BeMyDrone Posted at 2018-4-2 14:14
[view_image]

I had a terrifying moment with birds myself

birdstrike risk high!!!
2018-4-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hah!  That was close.  Yeah, I've had a few run-ins myself with my SPARK.  Part of the reason I ordered a 'RED' Mavic Air.  So far so good....I'm hoping the color red makes it less of a target.  I have a ton of Red Tail Hawks around my area (USA New Jersey).   
2018-4-4
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

That was scary but you got a very good shot of the beautiful bird.
2018-4-4
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

maurom82 Posted at 2018-4-4 07:59
Woooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!! wonderful!!! Very lucky!!!! The hawk is looking at you like saying: "what are you doing here? Are you going to steal my food?"

Haha still not sure whether it was just surprised, suprised & hungry, or surprised, hungry and ready to strike!
2018-4-4
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-4-4 08:35
Hah!  That was close.  Yeah, I've had a few run-ins myself with my SPARK.  Part of the reason I ordered a 'RED' Mavic Air.  So far so good....I'm hoping the color red makes it less of a target.  I have a ton of Red Tail Hawks around my area (USA New Jersey).

Oof! Yeah, this was with the Mavic Pro, which might be on the large side for this kind of bird. On the other hand, when they defend their territory, they are known to attack humans here when you come close to their nests. The Sparky, being a bit smaller, might be even less fearsome to it. I have seen people put the "wobbly eyes" stickers on their Sparks, and someone suggested it might even prevent birds from attacking it... might be an idea?
2018-4-4
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-4-4 09:27
That was scary but you got a very good shot of the beautiful bird.

Thanks Murdock!
2018-4-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Joost GT3 Posted at 2018-4-4 09:51
Oof! Yeah, this was with the Mavic Pro, which might be on the large side for this kind of bird. On the other hand, when they defend their territory, they are known to attack humans here when you come close to their nests. The Sparky, being a bit smaller, might be even less fearsome to it. I have seen people put the "wobbly eyes" stickers on their Sparks, and someone suggested it might even prevent birds from attacking it... might be an idea?

LOL....that's funny 'wobbly eyes'.  I know what you mean.  Might have to do that.  
2018-4-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Great shot very close for comfort
2018-4-4
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Italy

Joost GT3 Posted at 2018-4-4 09:48
Haha still not sure whether it was just surprised, suprised & hungry, or surprised, hungry and ready to strike!

ahahahahahah who says?
2018-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules