Fly Off & Crash!
3662 51 2018-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95144 ft
United States

Thanks for all looking. I don’t have the cash for DJI to fix it. But it’s been fun.  Never had my P2 or P3 fly off, un-nerving experience :-) My last two drones where an awesome experience.  
2018-12-11
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
United States

BSilverthorn Posted at 12-11 10:58
Thanks for all looking. I don’t have the cash for DJI to fix it. But it’s been fun.  Never had my P2 or P3 fly off, un-nerving experience :-) My last two drones where an awesome experience.

I wish had been windy, then I would know why. It was 24 degrees out and I was outside in my t-shirt. it was quite the calm and nice morning. I went back out after to scream and chill with a cup of coffee LOL.
2018-12-11
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
United States

So I talked to the airport wind at a max was 5 mph north yesterday from 6 to 7 am.  Drone went west, wind out of north. 5mph.  Stayed variable from 5 to 0.  

Below is from the airport.  

ABB61F8B-54C6-4B76-9889-BC0A438DB7A5.jpeg
2018-12-11
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The problem with airport data is that it's only reported once per hour. And it's of course only accurate for the specific point on the earth at the airport. However, the wind was likely similar on the ground in your location if you're close to the airport.

Are they able to give you a wind report at 250 feet AGL? That's where you experienced your trouble.
2018-12-11
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
United States

No they were not able to. I have a friend that works there.  I’m close. He talked to the tower and said no reported gusts etc it was a calm morning.  
2018-12-11
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Does your Phantom still power on? If so, you could look at the data in DAT flight log. It might contain some more information.
2018-12-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

msinger Posted at 12-11 10:55
If you're going to stick with the zero wind story, then your best bet will be sending your Phantom into DJI to be assessed. Maybe they'll be able to see more than is available in the flight log you posted above.

It wasnt what you would call windy really, cold yes, but not windy fog and wind dont normally go hand in hand

Granted, this speed would be at around the around the 30ft height, and that its in km/h but i doubt that  it would have been over the 20mph at the 300ft mark, the other 2 stations pretty much agree, also the fastest wind that day out of all 3 station was 12mph and that was much much later in the day

2018-12-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ooo, just had a thought, it was foggy/misty and below freezing, i bet ya last buck there was icing on them there props at the very least, i have had it with fog and at a faction under 0ºC
2018-12-11
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-11 20:35
ooo, just had a thought, it was foggy/misty and below freezing, i bet ya last buck there was icing on them there props at the very least, i have had it with fog and at a faction under 0ºC

Thats is a good thought. No sign of that when I picked up the drone. Dry as bone, but a thought. I flew in a "Hole" about a mile square where there was little to now fog / percip. Drone was always easy to see. But there still could have been something to it. My subject was a forest / old farm about 3/4 mile out. The fog bank had settled just behind it. Looked pretty cool as wall of white behind the bright red barns.

Who knows, thank you.
2018-12-12
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-11 20:31
It wasnt what you would call windy really, cold yes, but not windy fog and wind dont normally go hand in hand

Granted, this speed would be at around the around the 30ft height, and that its in km/h but i doubt that  it would have been over the 20mph at the 300ft mark, the other 2 stations pretty much agree, also the fastest wind that day out of all 3 station was 12mph and that was much much later in the day

Nice, I started digging down that path due to the wind warning. But is was only the red pop up warning, something you get even on a calm summer nights sunset at 100 feet.

It was never the yellow one that means get down now you nut ;-)....

I have had that a few times flying outside a squall or something. My drones have sure flown in "Greater" winds and atmosphere with never an issue. Odd to say the least, I will miss it.

I might try and revive my old P2, that thing was a tank, if I can get the GoPro going again. It seemed to be solid and stable as a rock for years. I got crazy with it after I got the P4, that thing would hover and fight a snow storm ;-). Never flew in total unsafe winds, but it can get choppy out in the country.  It would hold a hover and land back on dime. You could hear it fight the wind as if it was saying try me, I will win....
2018-12-12
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-11 20:35
ooo, just had a thought, it was foggy/misty and below freezing, i bet ya last buck there was icing on them there props at the very least, i have had it with fog and at a faction under 0ºC

That's a good thought. It seems like it might not be the case though since the OP noted the props were bone dry on retrieval.
2018-12-12
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
United States

Well this sucks, I mainly sent it in to see what happen, I am curious how they know the parts will fix it if they can't do data analysis as to why it happen? I don't have the 350 to fix it, but was hoping to at least maybe get some answers, share the results up here to help others.
I love DJI and their products, but sometimes, things just don't add up. So far the parts list is just from crash, cosmetc, other the camera board. Nothing that says "Failed", and nothing that says it would cause it in the parts. Parts list is from obstacle avoidance allowing the hitting a big leafy tree the size of a Semi Tractor Trailer  ;-). Maybe there was nothing, but should like to hear, "We do not know" nothing shows, or yeah you dummy, you did X, while hovering and that made it buzz off like Bumble Bee.

Any idea from anyone do they actually fly the dumb after they fix it a few times? Maybe this summer I can fix it, and put it on ebay. But not knowing why makes me nervouse to even put it in the air. Out of 25 plus years of flying model planes etc... I usually can tell what broke, or what I did ;-).  Usually I have a engine failure in a loop, or a buddy clipping my tail in a race. So its a Mr Obvious...

"Thank you for contacting DJI Support Team.

I am sorry for what happened with your Phantom 4. I do understand that you want to know what happened at that time. However, we are unable to conduct data analysis as the product is already beyond the warranty period."

2018-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules