Camera delay between photos.
4339 16 2014-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fdanell
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi!

I find the delay between taking a picture and getting ready to take another one quite annoying. It's about 5-8 seconds (haven't clocked it) after taking a picture until I'm able to do it again. It's okay, but you know...

Anyone got any tips/suggestions for speeding this up?

2014-10-12
Use props
1adlucas59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15848209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought that was normal .
2014-10-12
Use props
DJI-DingC
lvl.2

China

If you select the RAW format, it would take more processor time to react. Chose JPEG as the format, then it will greatly reduced the time interval between taking two pictures.
2014-10-13
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

always use a fast SD card, ie class 10
and choose a well known brand
2014-10-13
Use props
fdanell
lvl.1

Sweden

Eirlink Posted at 2014-10-13 17:18
always use a fast SD card, ie class 10
and choose a well known brand

Thanks, as so happens I have a Class 10 card on its way already. I'll try that and post the results/time-difference here.
2014-10-13
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

The P2V and P2V+ cameras both exhibit a delay (iris closed) between large format photos.
Always have...
I've never used anything but extra fast class10 SD cards, and I've always seen some delay...
If you're afraid of missing a shot, perhaps try a multiple capture mode.
Unfortunately, the iris will probably stay closed even longer...
2014-10-13
Use props
fdanell
lvl.1

Sweden

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-14 03:14
The P2V and P2V+ cameras both exhibit a delay (iris closed) between large format photos.
Always have ...

Yea, I'm afraid the multiple shot mode doesn't do RAW files. It doesn't matter if you choose RAW you'll end up with JPG's.

I need to cram out every tiny bit out of that camera to satisfy my needs so RAW is my only option.

Even if a faster card wont rid the problem I'm still extremely happy with this quad! It's just fantastic!
2014-10-13
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Sorry, I don't really do anything in RAW, so I was not aware that it was not an option for multiple capture.
Probably because of the massive file sizes again...
2014-10-13
Use props
fdanell
lvl.1

Sweden

I've made some test and it seems a Class10 card reduces the time about 33% So it's well worth that extra dollar if you already planning buying a new card.
2014-10-14
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Sandisk is the brand I prefer on all my SD card requirements...
2014-10-14
Use props
ringlis1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34685 ft
United States

Watch out for Sandisk cards.  I have used them for years, however, the past year, they must be having quality control issues, because I have a card that will not work in a Canon camera (5D or G16), but, works in other cameras.  

Recently I had a 32gig SanDisk card fail in the phantom, had to send it in for a replacement.  I also had a 64gig SanDisk fail in a gopro, both are Ultra Plus cards, which both failed and had to be sent in for replacement.  A google search will reveal many others having SanDisk issues with their gopro cameras.  

My future card purchases will be LEXAR cards.  I always liked SanDisk, they do have good customer service.  However, I cannot afford to not save the shots when I only have 1 chance at it.
2014-10-14
Use props
ringlis1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34685 ft
United States

I also agree that it takes too long between RAW Photos.  I understand the time to write to the card, but, the video back to the app shouldn't have to lag as long.
2014-10-14
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a class10 and it is still a delay. Nothing you can do about it. And don't think it is a DJI specific problem. The remote shutter snap on a GoPro is just as long, if not slightly longer. Just the nature of the beast, i think.
2014-10-14
Use props
PhantomKnowledg
New

United States

Point and shoot cameras tend to be pretty slow.  My iPhone is pretty fast.  The fastest cameras are DSLRs.   As the technology improves these small cameras will continue to get better and faster.   

The thing that bugs me is the stationary 2.8 aperture for both the Phantom and the GoPro -- even GoPro 4.    That means that objects in the distance are not sharp and clear.     In the Vision App software they provide all kinds of manual options.  I really, really wish they would provide f5.6 and f16 options.  I understand that they don't want to put in autofocus technology -- probably expensive for this level of camera, but why can't they allow for manual changes in the aperture?  I don't understand the technology enough to understand the problems.  Anybody know?

Since I am talking about video quality and like to toot my own horn, another problem with these cameras is moire.  That is the shimmery stuff you see in grass, on trees or wherever you see lines. Phantom Knowledge offers an anti-moire filter http://phantomknowledge.com/anti-moire-filter/ that greatly improves the video quality on the Vision Plus. I have a video with the anti-moire filter on.   I will be producing a video that compares the image with the filter on and off.   I will also be testing the GoPro soon.  
2014-10-14
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

PhantomKnowledg Posted at 2014-10-15 08:37
Point and shoot cameras tend to be pretty slow.  My iPhone is pretty fast.  The fastest cameras are  ...

can't speak to the effectiveness of the anti-moire filter. But it seems pricey, and I'd be curious to see your comparison video and if it is truly worth the price tag.

As for the aperture, it is a mechanical function, or ratio of the size of the hole, versus the length of the lens which explains why they are described as fractions (to put it in terms I understand, haha). And you are right, to make it adjustable would mean an entirely different lens. One that has an adjustable hole size or barrel or zoom length, for example. But if what your asking for is a more even level of focus comparing near objects to far objects, I think we have the best we can get with such a small camera and such a wide angle lens. It is my understanding that bokeh, or background blur, is more pronounced at long lens sizes when focusing on objects that are very far distances apart, for example. So, with a very wide angle lens like we have, when focusing on scenes where most of the frame is considerably far away but similar distance (as we do with a phantom copter), then we are getting the benefit of focus, and less bokeh, which I think is what you are asking for.  In other words, even though we are shooting at a large aperture (2.8) it is not the same as using a 50mm f/2.8 portrait lens on a DSLR. You wouldn't see background blur on the phantom because you are never focusing on a subject close to the phantom and having the background out of focus. Your clarity issue is not caused by the large aperture but instead by the size of the sensor and overall quality of the camera. That's not to say that a smaller aperture wouldn't make for a clearer image. But it would then require either a longer shutter speed or more sensitive sensor or higher ISO (and more grain).

Geez, this makes sense in my head, but I am obviously having trouble explaining it! Point is, your images are as sharp as they are going to be with this camera with this technology, and if you want bokeh you will need to do it in post, with a blur brush or gradient or something creative like that.

So, for the Phantom, always shoot in raw and force 100 ISO to get the best possible images to work with. Then process your images to your liking.

And I don't mean to preach to you or speak as if you don't know these things. Just trying to help.
Man, now I've confused myself. Anyone else want to take a stab at this? haha  
2014-10-14
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

No thanks

But I will say that when it comes to camera filters, you can end up spending a fortune if you're not careful.

I did spot some moire here and there in my clips, but I guess it's not a major issue for most peeps using the Phantom, certainly isn't for me. Not yet anyway. Once I reach the sort of level where photos and videos better be perfect, I'll consider a moire filter.
2014-10-14
Use props
PhantomKnowledg
New

United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-15 10:26
can't speak to the effectiveness of the anti-moire filter. But it seems pricey, and I'd be curious ...

Tony,
My concern is not to get better bokeh but better sharpness for images further away.  

I am a photographer.  I use prime lenses and zoom lenses.  In a DSLR I am able to change the aperture in both lenses.  

So by increasing the aperture the amount of light going into the camera is smaller.  Somehow that translates into a broader depth of field.  So a f2.8 aperture produces a fairly shallow depth of field -- less of the landscape is in focus.  A f16 aperture produces a fairly broad depth of field -- much more of the landscape is in focus.   It seems to me this would require DJI to produce a mechanism for opening and closing the circular shade or aperture.  It does not require a zoom lense, just the shade.    I also have a f2.8 fisheye lense.  On my DSLR I can change the aperture.   So the wide angle nature of the lense is not the issue either.   I don't know what the expense or downfall might be to build the next camera with changing aperture but to me it does not seem prohibitive.  While the plus side would be fantastic for landscapes which is what the Phantom quadcopters are shooting all the time.  

Concerning the anti-moire filter, you are right it is expensive.  It is also expensive for me to have them cut for the Phantom.  For videographers who want the best picture possible from their Phantom 2 Vision Plus it makes a huge difference for resolving most of the moire and alias.  I will post when I have a good comparison video ready.  

2014-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules