When is IMU Calibration Needed?
1623 7 2015-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Just wondering, when should I be calibrating my IMU? Should it be before every flight like GPS?
Also, what is the IMU Calibration actually calibrating? What should normal numbers be at?

Thanks

2015-3-14
Use props
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

I check it before every flight
All pairs are 0 except the last one which is 1 and -1 or thereabouts...
I don't know what it does
2015-3-14
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

OK, lame ? , I am.   Finally got it yesterday.  !   Cannot find the IMU calibration settings...where is it hiding? Under what tab?  I'm on IOS, thanks
2015-3-21
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-3-21 23:01
OK, lame ? , I am.   Finally got it yesterday.  !   Cannot find the IMU calibration settings...where ...

Open DJI pilot iOS app,  tap maps or camera icon , see the (mode icon) upper left tap it , you'll see (MC) settings then scroll down page to bottom you'll see ( advanced settings ) tap the banner and up comes , gain, fail safe, sensors and gain/expo tuning,   you want to tap the (Sensors) banner then you'll see the gyro,accelerometer,and compass mod boxes ... Scroll down , The IMU Calibrate button is at the very bottom ,grey box says IMU calibration ,..........  bird on a flat level table battery in , open your iOS app, turn your rc controller on and bird on , and then tap calibrate , do not disturb the bird , bump it etc while its calibrating  the app will let you know when it's good to go ! Do your firmware upgrade first if you haven't yet .
2015-3-21
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Right.  NowI cannot find anywhere a chart to tell me what is 'normal' values for the IMU.  Also, with someone issues with ...17...upgrade should I just upgrade the RC and wait for the next FW upgrade? And how long does the IMU cali take?
2015-3-21
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I do the needed firmware upgrades , then I do a MC recalibration , and sometimes I will also recalibrate the RC sticks , and last I recalibrate the compass , I don't recal the imu before every flight or the compass , this just is not necessary unless you've travelled out of your general home location ,
or your bird has had a minor crash , dropped ,or your getting a message in app .. I have flown my inspire with one re calibration of the imu and compass since the last firmware install without any problems whatsoever , NONE... I can pull my phantoms p1 and p2 out off the shelve and take it out flying after sitting for Months and it's lost nothing , other than some newer firmware upgrade , I've done this several times , my inspire is no different ,but then I know what to look out for before I takeoff .. Or if it's fishbowling after take off and doesn't settle out Pretty quick I might redo the compass but that's about it.
Recalibration both imu and compass every time will cause some people way more problems if not done correctly or in haste ...
2015-3-21
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-3-22 00:40
Right.  NowI cannot find anywhere a chart to tell me what is 'normal' values for the IMU.  Also, wit ...

I hear from others on this forum that acceleration mod values should be at 1.00 +/- 0.01 and compass mod values should be at 1400-1500.  My compass values are usually in the 1500s so I still fly between 1400-1600 with no problem.  Any number beyond this range I would do my IMU calibration that takes from 1 to 5 minutes.  I'm not sure about the new firmware as I am still happily running on the old one.
2015-3-21
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

THANK YOU.  I'll watch mine
2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules