Did I Dream This?
2711 32 2015-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I swear that I saw in a DJI video about the Inspire Pilot App that it is possible to change the joystick sensitivity.  Was I dreaming this?  Is this planned but not yet delivered?
2015-3-21
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Australia

You have the option to had some expo to the controls, if it is what you mean?
2015-3-21
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-3-22 13:01
You have the option to had some expo to the controls, if it is what you mean?

It's crazy how some of these guys don't know diddly squat rc flying yet buy 4k birds relying on automation, (I know ur a heli guys and know whats up).
Looking for expo on a quadcoptor, lol. I never used expo on a 120mph Funjet, or my super fast tricked out carbon protos heli. After spending two full months reading this forum and the 12 zillion pages at rcg, it is abundantly clear that 90% of all these problems are caused by the pilot, and a majority of those are because guys don't know to fly manual RC aircrafts  - just crazy lol
2015-3-21
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Australia

Not a very constructive comment Bob.
Not everyone wants to become a RC rockstar on this forum. The inspire is first of all a flying camera, not a scale helicopter or a RC jet.
Most of inspires owner are touching a quad for the first time, and that is the magic of it! It can be flown by anyone out of the box being careful.

2015-3-21
Use props
kelleyre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90833 ft
  • >>>
United States

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-3-22 13:41
Not everyone wants to become a RC rockstar on this forum. The i ...

Not really
2015-3-21
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

yeah every forums got that guy that's not going to post constructive comments, but instead belittle the users that are looking for help.  pretty annoying since forums are meant for people to share information.  
2015-3-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually you might be surprised how many of us on this forum have many years of experience. We do not need to insult the others that trying to have fun and enjoying this new video machine.
Yes, I agree that some mistakes are being made while flying these aircraft, but not in all cases that for sure.
FYI
I am both full size Helicopter and fixed wing flight instructor (got my first aircraft license in my late teens. Plus an avid model aviation modeler for 47 years.

Guess what, I think you can learn new ideas from even the first timers!!

Try and be nice to everyone and there is no such thing as a stupid question.
2015-3-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

There are not to many options available for the DJI remote controllers as compared to the other RC radios. But you can access the control stick gain adjustments from the MC Setting menu, then go to the bottom and tap on advanced settings. Once you are in advanced settings the Gain & Expo Tuning is on the bottom of the list.

2015-3-22
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

To Kneverett:
Do you mean "gain" yes you can change "gain" in menus in ios and android app.
MODE>> ADVANCED>> GAIN
enter the numbers for pitch, roll yaw vertical  70%-130%
ATTI GAIN   90-110%
Gyro Gain 90-110%

2015-3-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here are the screen shots inside the MC settings menu
IMG_5381.png
IMG_5382.png
2015-3-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here are the screen shots inside the MC settings menu
IMG_5382.png
IMG_5381.png
2015-3-22
Use props
GazFromBrum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38606 ft
United Kingdom

Bob Marleys comments......
Although his comments came across a little harsh...... there is an element of truth to what he says.

Taking an Inspire into the air with little to no RC experience is sort of asking for trouble, there are cheaper and safer alternatives to gain some experience on first which surely should be advised. Its all well and good stating the Inspire is easy to fly with its compass and satellite systems to back you up..... but when theses systems go south which to be honest isn't a rare event and the pilot is left to his/her own pilot skills accidents are going to happen...... which in turn reflects on all flyers.

2015-3-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-22 13:34
It's crazy how some of these guys don't know diddly squat rc flying yet buy 4k birds relying on au ...

You got it right , interesting to watch isn't it .....
2015-3-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-3-23 02:20
Actually you might be surprised how many of us on this forum have many years of experience. We do no ...

There are no stupid question , just stupid mistakes when you don't ask for help...
2015-3-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

GazFromBrum Posted at 2015-3-23 04:24
Although his comments came across a little harsh...... there is an elemen ...

Thanks , another correct answer .
2015-3-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-3-22 13:41
Not everyone wants to become a RC rockstar on this forum. The i ...

Anyone ? No not even close by the looks of all the crashes and problems after guys spent $3000.00 thinking they'd become sky king overnight..... And yup to most of the Expierienced rc people
On these forums ,and this ain't the first rc pilots forum around .... It's obvious that the inspire is not a beginners easy rc toy ! Not even close . Rc pilots feel free to chime right in then ....
2015-3-22
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Wow, we have some egos here.  At least there are a few helpful folks among the crowd.  Thanks arunmehta and RichJ53.  
2015-3-22
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I'm sorry, I did not mean to be harsh, and I certainly did not point out any individual so get off my back please.
I just posted my honest opinion and I'm Not "sugar and spice", (ask my wife).  Here is another one some won't like ..... anyone who is offended should probably spend some time on the simulator, no one wants to see yet another .... "My Inspire Flew Away, into a tree, into my garage door, into the lake, or worse!" thread.

DJI certainly shares a major portion of the blame. With all their boasted technology, you would think they could write a simulator that works across BOTH platforms. They can write firmware that prevents I1 from starting up in "no fly zones", but yet they can't write a simple simulator app that one would need to pass in order to start the motors the first time? (really?)

After reading these forums the last 2 months until my eyes bled, one thing became quite apparent. DJI inadvertently exposed all the non-flyers with buggy software   Nicely done, that will certainly screw up your service center projections!  Most, (not all, don't go crazy out there flyers) most crashes and flyaways occurred because the craft popped out of GPS (automatic) and into ATTI (manual mode) leaving the non flyers with that blank look you see on guys faces right before their bird goes in. Some of the videos I have seen are insane. Everyone saw that guy fly his weapon straight into his garage door so hard that it dented it, (and almost smashed that chick). Push the damn sticks dude !!! You wanna hear HARSH? People like that should NOT be flying the Inspire yet, not without some basic rc training or simulator work, (someone is certain to get hurt). DJI, you cannot have people relying on a system that's unreliable ....period!  How your current shipments don't leave your plant with a big red label stuck to the manual to "Learn to fly ATTI/Manual mode via our simulator First" is beyond me.  Noob rc heli pilots are encouraged to "hover" 2 ft off the ground for 20 packs (or more) before venturing out.
Not the 4k Inspire1 .... just boot up and go ............. Weeeeeeee isn't this grand!     (actually 4 grand)
2015-3-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GazFromBrum Posted at 2015-3-23 04:24
Although his comments came across a little harsh...... there is an elemen ...

Absolutely agree that Inspire owners should practice before venturing out into video shoots that can cause potential harm to others. Safety first!

I think that everyone can agree that there is no substitute for flying experience. But companies such as DJI will continue to push the envelope by producing automatous machines to reach a larger market. I believe our forum is a nice place to help others before they get into trouble....
2015-3-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

OK since we are all friends again and the hugging is over lets add to the knowledge base for those new to RC. In the old days we had very limited radios they operated on AM or FM and interference was a major problem. We had no ability on the early radios to adjust the way the sticks worked much beyond stiffness. we could not select mode A or B it was contingent on which hole you stuck the servo cable in the receiver.  Today we have the ability to change all kinds of things Gain and Expo being two of them. The Gain is how sensitive the stick is to input, the higher the gain the faster she responds. The expo controls the rate of the change and moves the sweet spot for where the sensitivity kicks in. Imagine a graph with a curve and the curve has a bump on it. if the bump is to the left the stick responds immediately, if the bump is shifted to the right the stick is soft in the beginning and gradually gets more aggressive. So in essence the idea is to give the most adjust ability in the most comprehensive way. I hope I explained that ok. And yes there are many hundreds of folks buying the Inspire with no previous experience. This is in part because of the advertizement that clearly states ANYONE CAN FLY this.
2015-3-22
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-23 14:59
And yes there are many hundreds of folks buying the Inspire with no previous experience. This is in part because of the advertizement that clearly states ANYONE CAN FLY this....

That is until the I1 disconnects GPS and ANYONE's powerful bird mysteriously dashes away with the wind  http://forum.dji.com/static/image/smiley/default/titter.gif
(or into something) -

It's exactly as I stated previously.
The major problem is DJI has forced the "anyones" to rely on firmware that is currently unreliable.
I've complained the most today and yet I'm placing my order for my new I1 tomorrow.
If it pops out of GPS mode, it will still fly like a dream in ATTI mode, (that is if you know how to fly rc coptors) - wink wink
2015-3-22
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Yes that's right, but the issue is really that the gps is intended as a redundant back up in the event of tx signal loss. So sure you will be able to fly in ATTI mode so long as you have signal. When you don't have either you are now in a world of trouble because RTH wont work nor will you be able to track your now AWOL Inspire. While this is a very rare occurrence it has happened a couple of times. No amount of heli experience will get you out of this event, shes a done deal. I feel comfortable flying in ATTI knowing that in the event of a Signal loss for whatever reason, if my home point is set and accurate that she will come home. When I'm flying and I get the warning that my GPS is gone I lose that comfort zone and I'm forced into flight recovery for safety reasons. I like redundancy it's more reliable.
2015-3-23
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RichHj3 said
"Guess what, I think you can learn new ideas from even the first timers!!"

I like that

BUT i agree with Bob Marley (even though he was an idiot for ignoring his Malignant Melanoma on his toe) http://repeatingislands.com/2011 ... e-bob-marley-story/

You MUST learn to fly ATTi mode to keep people around you safe and to preserve your 4k investment .

DJI has sold a half baked Beta plane that needs lots of work (in software)

DJI has sold a product that needs BETTER quality control in hardware.

DJI needs a "Steve Jobs" type obsessive Quality Control manager http://www.newyorker.com/magazin ... -steve-jobs-changed
(failing that a Haynes underwear inspector12 lady will do lol)  

2015-3-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Bob and others, your points on safety and learning to fly ATTi mode are well taken.  I will suggest Bob, that you don't crawl up someone's ass before you express your input.  You seem to have good input, and I for one will certainly take it to heart.  But you need to work on delivery .

My intent behind asking about stick sensitivity (obviously an over simplified term I used to refer to gain and expo) was to learn and use all the tools available to me to safely control the Inspire.  I knew what I wanted but had yet to find where it was buried in the app.

So far, I'm inclined to agree that DJI has done a disservice by oversimplifying the marketing of the Inspire 1.  It would not be so bad if they had a sufficiently robust pilot app along with accurate, detailed and comprehensive documentation.

Keep  in mind that DJI seems to be targeting the professional photographer / videographer who wants to evolve into offering aerial shots.  Not the RC enthusiast who also likes to make videos.  Frankly, that's where the big money lies.  Plus it's a less saturated vertical (excuse the pun) market within the general market for small UAS.  Regardless, the same safety needs and rules apply.

Thanks again for the help  all.
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

kneverett Posted at 2015-3-23 21:52
I will suggest Bob, that you don't crawl up someone's ass before you express your input.  You seem to have good input, and I for one will certainly take it to heart.  But you need to work on delivery.

You're kidding right? I am not up anyone's ass, and I don't appreciate you trying to get up mine!
I have yet to point out any individual, yet there have been a few guys swinging directly at Me.
I can take it on the chin and suck it up, it's not that big of a deal,  but, it's not cool to persecute me because I am NOT a candy-assed forum suck-up! I said exactly what should have been said no later then the last Firmware Fiasco, (what a great username that would make) and I'm sure there are some noobs who read my post last night that are scrambling for their simulators, (and should be!)

kneverett Posted at 2015-3-23 21:52
Keep  in mind that DJI seems to be targeting the professional photographer / videographer who wants to evolve into offering aerial shots.  Not the RC enthusiast who also likes to make videos.  Frankly, that's where the big money lies.

Please don't try to disguise your opinion as Fact.
My opinion of yours is that you are 100% incorrect.
"Targeting the professional, Not the rc enthusiast"  You really believe that, C'mon - lol
(I'll bet you DJI sells 100 units to rc enthusiasts to every 1 unit to sold professionals).
"Frankly" the "big money" always has, and always will lie with the rc enthusiast.

I have been an "RC Enthusiast" for 30ys and am going "Pro" this week as I am in the process of starting a Media & Production limited liability company.

Which one are you?

Noob  1st experience with a real rc ship
Beginner Quad Copter (1yr or less)
Intermediate Pilot (5+ yrs)
Advanced Pilot  (10+ yrs)

My opinion is that 90% of all the problems are coming from guys who fall into the 1st two categories.
My opinion is that the I1 was engineered for Intermediate (on up) with that category needing stick time with a cheap quad or some real simulator time -

2015-3-23
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

Turn off GPS mode and fly in ATTI until you are comfortable doing so. Small flights in a very large open area with no trees or structures around. Once you are comfortable in ATTI flight you will gain confidence and really enjoy your Inspire 1.

These days I almost never use GPS mode anymore.
2015-3-23
Use props
dgmultimedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 216526 ft
United Kingdom

Basic answer - Exponential curve is available from the APP for Throttle and YAW only.
Mechanical sensitivity - YES the sticks can be adjusted for length - there are two sections to the knob undo the top and then unscrew it - max extension is about 1CM then screw up the lower part to lock - this will decrease the effective sensitivity as you have to move the top of the stick further for the same control effect...
The GAINS setting on the APP are NOT for adjusting flying sensitivity they are the IMU Controller gains and will affect the stability of the Quads flight characteristics...
PS - I agree somewhat with the comments about lack of skill level - novice owners are trying to perform flight operations that require skill and understanding as well as visual co-ordination - these skill can be taught or learnt through experience - they do not come as part of the package....
2015-3-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 02:41
You're kidding right? I am not up anyone's ass, and I don't appreciate you trying to get up mine!

Bob, calm down.  You really do go off the handle a bit there dude.  

(a)  Here's why I see you as having crawled up my ass.  I ask a question and your response to my post is a tirade about "these guys don't know diddly...".  How am I supposed to take that other than as being directed at me?  It's a reply to my post.  If you want to whine about folks in general, start a new post for that purpose.

(b) You did not even make an attempt to answer my question in your first reply to this post, only brag about how you've never used expo and laugh (presumably at me among others) at anyone who does.  How is that anything but arrogance?

(c) Why does it make you irate to see someone with little or no experience start their own journey with an expensive machine rather than something lesser?  Is this not a free country?  Can't they spend their money how they choose?  If  that's foolish, so be it.  But why does that anger you?  Shake your head in disbelief, sure.  Laugh at them, perhaps.  Berate them, sad.

(d) When I indicated you "seem to have good input" I was referring to your latter replies.  The first one I took as directed at me, the author of the original post.  Which I suspect many would assume the same.

(e) I actually complemented you in an earlier reply.  Perhaps that was premature.

(f) Yes, you have pointed to an individual (me) by implication with a reply to my post without qualifying it as a general observation.  Why would my post prompt you to reply in such a manner if you did not see me as an example justifying such a reply?

(g) Unless you are privy to DJI's marketing plan for the Inspire I don't think you have any basis for dismissing my opinion about their goals - other than another rage fit.  If they are touting that "anyone" can fly it, isn't that a clue they want to reach customers other than people who are RC pro's - like you?  Don't you think they want to expand their market reach?

(h) Why is someone with < 1 yr experience a problem for you?  You've been in it for 30 years and it seems (and I stress seems) you've forgotten what it's like to be in that first year.  According to you no one else should be allowed to make a first time purchase of a quad copter cause their simply going to "be a problem".

(i) Good luck with the Media & Production company.  I genuinely mean that.  But I hope you treat your clients better than you treat people on this forum.

(j) When did I try to hide my opinion as fact?  I said it "seems" DJI is targeting a non-RC experienced market.  How can you watch their marketing videos and not see they at least want to appeal to that segment as at least a PART of their revenue stream?

In spite of it all, you might just be a really great guy.  I hope so for your wife's sake.  LOL
2015-3-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Good info dgmultimedia.  I'll check out the stick extension.

Thanks for the advice jhogge.
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

kneverett Posted at 2015-3-24 08:12
Bob, calm down.  You really do go off the handle a bit there dude.  

(a)  Here's why I see you as ...

kneverett, I stopped reading after you told me to calm down.
whatever you wrote will go unread by myself, wasted your time.
I did NOT come here to engage with people like you, (and I need to do a better job at it).

If you have a problem with anything I have posted on this thread, then go blow off your steam on a simulator!

I came here help some peeps, and learn from some peeps,  good day to my fellow flyers
2015-3-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Dare I ask without a backlash: what would you recommend as a good inexpensive learning drone which would translate well to the Inspire flight characteristics in ATTI mode?
2015-3-23
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 08:23
kneverett, I stopped reading after you told me to calm down.
whatever you wrote will go unread by  ...

LOL.  Nice response.  My time was well rewarded.
2015-3-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dgmultimedia@me Posted at 2015-3-24 05:39
Basic answer - Exponential curve is available from the APP for Throttle and YAW only.
Mechanical sen ...

IMO, the issue with the DJI remote controllers at this point, would be that it is lacking some of the standard programing features seen on the Big name brands. Full computer programmability with dedicated dual rate switches and extended expo adjustments on every flight control. Heck you can assign on of the switches to kill the power..  These can be too complicated for novice pilots but are very necessary for advanced pilots.

What do you guys think?
2015-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules