The new Platinum props won’t be more quiet if apply on normal M...
3657 39 2017-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

There is a already test the new Mavic Pro Platinum and compare the db level with normal Mavic, the noise level is obviously more quiet.  But when switch the new props to normal Mavic, the noise level isn't much improve with just 1db less different.

2017-9-25
Use props
William Yuandi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 474357 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

wow thank you... so we have to buy Mavic Platinum then for quiter flight
2017-9-25
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Interesting...but not exactly precise.
And DJI has already said that the the level noise on MP with new propellers is lower, but not as with the Platinum.
2017-9-26
Use props
Jinxie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3415 ft

Sweden

I have ordered them, and are just wating for them to come, existed on how low the are
2017-9-26
Use props
Jinxie
lvl.1

Sweden

William Yuandi Posted at 2017-9-25 22:10
wow thank you... so we have to buy Mavic Platinum then for quiter flight

I have heard that you can use the platinum propellers on Mavic pro , and then it will be a bit quieter , and they should be compatible with Mavic pro.
2017-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hmmm. Interesting for sure.
It was a bit hard to understand
Looks like the props were only half of the deal with the Platinum.
2017-9-26
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10400463 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the vid. Guess some including myself, will still try out the props.  
2017-9-26
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

The other half of the equation is the firmware for the ESC's.
2017-9-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not very scientific to say the least, the background ticking noise was driving me nuts and what's up with the face cover?
2017-9-26
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-26 11:12
what's up with the face cover?

He's the infamous Mavic Pro Platinum Bandit.  Since DJI isn't shipping them on time, he has to keep stealing them for his videos.
2017-9-26
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

I'll still go with the new props on old Mavic...whenever they are in stock....
2017-9-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-26 11:15
He's the infamous Mavic Pro Platinum Bandit.  Since DJI isn't shipping them on time, he has to keep stealing them for his videos.

I liked how he mimicked the shape of the new prop with his finger....
2017-9-26
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I shall know once DJI decide to ship out the Platinums
2017-9-26
Use props
William Yuandi
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

Jinxie Posted at 2017-9-26 07:25
I have heard that you can use the platinum propellers on Mavic pro , and then it will be a bit quieter , and they should be compatible with Mavic pro.

but the video says it's only 1 Dbm?
2017-9-26
Use props
Jinxie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

William Yuandi Posted at 2017-9-26 23:39
but the video says it's only 1 Dbm?

I want to try them any way, so I can se for my self.  
2017-9-27
Use props
William Yuandi
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

Jinxie Posted at 2017-9-27 10:28
I want to try them any way, so I can se for my self.

please do... i want to know it too..
2017-9-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

1dmb makes perfect sense and very plausible.  The platinum under ideal conditions is up to a maximum of 4db quieter than the mavic for some flight phases.  The new ESC driver firmware and props combined do this.
Simply changing the props on a mavic with older ESCs isn't going to turn it into a platinum.  1dbm seems pretty much in line with whats expected from a partial upgrade.

FWIW 1db is a 20% reduction although the way the human ear works that isn't noticeable.  Even the claimed 4db in reality isnt going to make it SOUND a lot quieter with the human ear needing about 10db to notice a halving or doubling of volume (ie loudness not power).

2017-9-29
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

As I thought ... some improvement but not really noticeable.

Why are we seemingly getting hung up on the noise levels of the MP anyway? it's not a loud drone at all and once it gets up to a few hundred feet its difficult to hear at all. It's like DJI has tried to improve a problem that didn't really exist and then they make a big thing about it.

People tend to buy benefits, they don't tend to buy features ..... A feature is only worth buying if there is a benefit and to my way of thinking dropping a few decibels in noise levels does not constitute enough of a reason to lay out for the MPP .... laying out £30 however on some funky looking new props is most likely worth it if only to try the new props on an old drone.
2017-9-29
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Why new props?? I heard nobody complain in the past there was too much noise....... Waste of money imho. Let's wait for the Magic Pro 2. Will be here around Christmas. I think
2017-9-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Bigga J Posted at 2017-9-29 02:00
As I thought ... some improvement but not really noticeable.

Why are we seemingly getting hung up on the noise levels of the MP anyway? it's not a loud drone at all and once it gets up to a few hundred feet its difficult to hear at all. It's like DJI has tried to improve a problem that didn't really exist and then they make a big thing about it.

Its handy from DJIs point of view.  Clearly their R&D department is at work on the next generation drones.  One of the things they've worked out is to give a small upgrade for minimal outlay on existing products now.  It also serves as a really good beta test.

4db reduction on the platinum from a engineering point of view is impressive (although from a perceived loudness point of view its not that much).

The platinum might or might not have new ESC hardware or driver boards.  Whats likely id say is new production mavic standards probably have the exact same hardware as the platinums but are restricted to "pro" via firmware somewhere.  From a manufacturing point of view its much easier to produce 1 hardware built than 2.

By the same token though you wouldn't expect DJI to enable all the new mavics to have platinum firmware even if they did all have the same hardware as they wouldn't sell any platinums that way.

The fairly silly craze of people trying to get new props just means they can make more money on this R&D development with no extra outlay to them.  Its good business sense.
In Mavic world, people always want gadgets and accessories even if those addons dont improve the actual product at all (or in some cases, harm it).  Theres money to be made selling snake oil as all the 3d printing people have realised for mavic.

Ultimately the mavic is a drone, it does make an annoying noise and can be heard up to about 500ft away so people get upset.  A truly quieter drone would be great but simply putting platinum props on the mavic isn't that way.  Neither most likely is the platinum with its 4db reduction in certain flight phases only.

Id love a mavic that couldn't be heard and therefore annoy the public over a 400ft or so radius but it doesnt exist and is unlikely to for some time.
2017-9-29
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-29 02:37
Its handy from DJIs point of view.  Clearly their R&D department is at work on the next generation drones.  One of the things they've worked out is to give a small upgrade for minimal outlay on existing products now.  It also serves as a really good beta test.

4db reduction on the platinum from a engineering point of view is impressive (although from a perceived loudness point of view its not that much).

Thanks .... I get what you are saying yet as a graduate Aeronautical Engineer I genuinely feel while noise is something they can look at it's not the be all and end all and to me is something that comes as a result of making huge strides in other areas ....

We all know the camera is the weak link in the MP chain, it's flying performance the major strength ... so what do they do? they produce a slightly upgraded drone in the MPP that marginally (very marginally) moves the game on in an area the MP was already excellent in, given it's dimintutive size it flies way better than it ordinarilly should!

I understand that harmonics (from the props) and electrical interference (from the motors/ESC's) etc. can play on the efficiency of the camera but come on, if we are going to improve things and really move the game on its the camera that needs the real input from the tech guys at DJI. And lets face it, the camera's in the Phantom are already in existence, they just need to find a way of incorporating that into the MP.
2017-9-29
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-9-29 02:07
Why new props?? I heard nobody complain in the past there was too much noise....... Waste of money imho. Let's wait for the Magic Pro 2. Will be here around Christmas. I think

Why new props?? I heard nobody complain in the past there was too much noise ..... Exactly my thoughts
2017-9-29
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Either way the new props do look better cosmetically on the Mavic Pro ....reminds me little like the props on the Comanche stealth heli - comanche.jpg
2017-9-29
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Australia

sry bout dbl photo..
2017-9-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Bigga J Posted at 2017-9-29 03:32
Thanks .... I get what you are saying yet as a graduate Aeronautical Engineer I genuinely feel while noise is something they can look at it's not the be all and end all and to me is something that comes as a result of making huge strides in other areas ....

We all know the camera is the weak link in the MP chain, it's flying performance the major strength ... so what do they do? they produce a slightly upgraded drone in the MPP that marginally (very marginally) moves the game on in an area the MP was already excellent in, given it's dimintutive size it flies way better than it ordinarilly should!

I would suspect the substandard camera is in part a deliberate choice.  Improving that would kill the P4 (and P4P) business and depending how much improved, possibly even the inspire market.  You don't want to make your entry level product too good until you've improved your professional models well above that level.

Agree the mavic is an excellent aerial platform, even more so for its size and the camera is by far the weakest bit of hardware in it.  Some of that is a size and weight constraint of the hardware but a lot of it isnt.  They could if wanted vastly improve the camera whilst keeping the same form factor.  Id venture its not in their overall business interests to do so though.

People like pointless gimmicks though - look at the clamour amongst owners just to change to these wonder props despite on paper the full upgraded model reducing noise by a barely noticeable level and the mavic itself substantially less.  It makes money, people pay money for hype.  DJI knows it.

As per usual the devil is in the detail too.  Overall noise isnt the issue, the frequency of the noise the harmonics and at what RPMs this noise occur is more important.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Australia

This test video test is bit more thorough just for comparison reasons -

Test results -Platinum w/ 8331 (new): 68. vs Mavic Pro w/ 8331 (new):  71.
Platinum w/ 8330 (old): 73. vs Mavic Pro w/ 8330 (old): 74.

Platinum without props: 63. vs Pro without props: 73. New ESC/motors significantly quieter.
2017-9-29
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-29 04:30
I would suspect the substandard camera is in part a deliberate choice.  Improving that would kill the P4 (and P4P) business and depending how much improved, possibly even the inspire market.  You don't want to make your entry level product too good until you've improved your professional models well above that level.

Agree the mavic is an excellent aerial platform, even more so for its size and the camera is by far the weakest bit of hardware in it.  Some of that is a size and weight constraint of the hardware but a lot of it isnt.  They could if wanted vastly improve the camera whilst keeping the same form factor.  Id venture its not in their overall business interests to do so though.

MP/MPP v Phantom v Inspire

I would argue the MP/MPP is a totally different proposition to the Phantom ... hence they cater for different markets. While the MP/MPP is one up from the entry level product from DJI it is way ahead of it's time compared to what others offer on the market at present. The whole point of the MP/MPP is portability, throw it in a rucksack and take it anywhere, they gave it incredible flight characteristics for its size and therefore, it is a match in terms of performance in most respects for the larger Phantom (yes I know the phantom is faster etc. but pro-rata the MP/MPP is up there with it.

What the Phantom gives you is a larger platform hence supposedly superior stability in rougher weather.

Adding an improved camera to the MP/MPP or whichever version comes next is not really going to hurt Phantom sales ..... if it does then I am sure DJI have things in hand ....

The problem with producing great products as DJI do is that they create their own problems when the time comes to improve them ... how do they do it must be a question they constantly ask themselves.

The MPP to me though is a half hearted attempt to update an already great product that was only 12 to 18 months into its life and way ahead of the competition.

I will wait for the real upgrade.

As for the props ... I agree with others in that they look great and as such may find their way on to my MP in the future but I wont be hell bent trying to be the first to put them on an MP
2017-9-29
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was going to order a pair, mostly cause they looked nicer, and wasn't expecting much of a noise reduction anyway.

Tho, my take on noise reduction, if it was a lot quieter is that it's going to cause a lot more trouble for us. Some will start using their quiet drones to avoid detection (terrorist use, illegal delivery...) or try to spy on people and we'll get even more enforced rules... Honestly, they should just make the drones a lot louder, so it's pretty clear when you're using your drone from "illegal" purpose.
2017-9-29
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-26 11:33
I liked how he mimicked the shape of the new prop with his finger....

HaH! Yea my buddy was super double jointed like that and it used to freak me out!
2017-9-29
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2017-9-29 05:58
MP/MPP v Phantom v Inspire

I would argue the MP/MPP is a totally different proposition to the Phantom ... hence they cater for different markets. While the MP/MPP is one up from the entry level product from DJI it is way ahead of it's time compared to what others offer on the market at present. The whole point of the MP/MPP is portability, throw it in a rucksack and take it anywhere, they gave it incredible flight characteristics for its size and therefore, it is a match in terms of performance in most respects for the larger Phantom (yes I know the phantom is faster etc. but pro-rata the MP/MPP is up there with it.

I agree, I also will wait for the real upgrade. The slight improvements are nice and all but I also thought that there shouldn't have been the price increase. I mean, the MP is now an older model that will stop being produced, right? so it should have been reduced in price and the MPP should have stayed at original MP price. Or if I walk into BestBuy am I really going to see both these models side by side?

There never was a noise issue I guess because everyone just accepted it as a given. I've been really surprised myself that I haven't seen 1 dog freak out over the buzzing device, that's a relief. These new props on MP though, for me, is just to take the edge off when it's taking off and landing. In the areas I fly by the ocean, 50' up and it's barely noticeable or I'll be where there are no people at all so yea, noise is of no concern.
2017-9-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Thank you for posting this.  Now I will get my low-noise props sooner.  
2017-9-29
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-9-29 02:07

On the contrary; I have always thought the Mavic too noisy... better than the Phantom, but still a noisy craft.... anything that can reduce its noise is a good move I think.
I've ordered a new set (and am still waiting ), and I have a digital sound meter so I'll be testing them properly and comparing when I get them.... (which may not be anytime soon judging by the shipping delays.. Takes me back to the old 'When is my Mavic shipping?' threads on here a year ago

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon
2017-9-29
Use props
uasflightops
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273983 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the new props they seem quieter HOWEVER!! BE WARNED THE GIMBAL BOUNCES UP AND DOWN VIOLENTLY ON THE MAVIC PRO IF YOU USE THESE Ive tried it on 2 separate craft.
2017-11-2
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-26 03:38
Interesting...but not exactly precise.
And DJI has already said that the the level noise on MP with new propellers is lower, but not as with the Platinum.

Definitely quieter as had mine a few weeks now and can hear the difference a lot. Handles the same in normal mode and in sport mode. If anything, sport mode seems a little more aggressive - different shaped props probably do that. Had her out last night before dark and was zipping around very well indeed.
2017-11-2
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Did antifa make this video? I joke, I joke.
2017-11-2
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

uasflightops Posted at 2017-11-2 06:18
I have the new props they seem quieter HOWEVER!! BE WARNED THE GIMBAL BOUNCES UP AND DOWN VIOLENTLY ON THE MAVIC PRO IF YOU USE THESE Ive tried it on 2 separate craft.

No bouncing or any other problems on my MP with the latest firmware.
2017-11-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Wrong!  You have defective props.  If you had properly manufactured props (these ARE plastic, after all), your gimbal/aircraft would fly nominal.

Look closely at the ones marked with the CW.  The trailing edge is warped.  Also check the tips on all of them.  
2017-11-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

You probably have a bad set, many posts about the same problem, me I was one of the lucky ones, 2 sets, no defects no Gimbal or Video issues, mine fly fine.
2017-11-2
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Australia

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-2 12:40
You probably have a bad set, many posts about the same problem, me I was one of the lucky ones, 2 sets, no defects no Gimbal or Video issues, mine fly fine.

Same 6 boxes all ok no defects
2017-11-2
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-11-2 06:27
Definitely quieter as had mine a few weeks now and can hear the difference a lot. Handles the same in normal mode and in sport mode. If anything, sport mode seems a little more aggressive - different shaped props probably do that. Had her out last night before dark and was zipping around very well indeed.

Thank you for your explanation,.
2017-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules