Catastrophic crash data log
1160 10 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Patrack
New

Canada

Hi, I was flying my p3 and it started acting weird so I hit return home then after rising it just took off on me real fast toward the forest, so i killed the engine hoping the trees will brake the fall. Unfortunately the drone crashed onto bedrock destroying the gimbal. I realized after i should hit the switch s1 to try to regain control, everything went real fast. The drone still power on but the app does not connect anymore, wifi ok. So my question is if someone with experience could look at the data log if i did something wrong. From what i see i did a return home after it switched to ATTI but i dont know why it switshed mode or why it fly away. I talk to dji support and they want me to send it back but if its clearly my fault it doesnt worth sent it as the cost of repair are probably more than what the drone worth.

Thanks

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DQCT9JKF826J8945TYTX/
2017-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

At a height of 26 ft and only 6 ft away from the launch point, the drone is showing a constant Yaw Error.
That's a kind of compass error.
From then on you have the yaw error for the rest of the flight, together with some speed errors.
Once you have a yaw error or a compass error, the Phantom ignores GPS and you are in atti mode without you doing anything.
The reason the Phantom ascended was to avoid obstacles.
If there were no obstacles, it may have been fooled by the sun?

The most common cause of yaw errors soon after takeoff is launching from a steel (or reinforced concrete surface).
What can you say about where you launched from and when/where the compass might have been calibrated last?

If it wasn't a problem caused by launching from a (magnetically) bad location, it could be a malfunction that DJI would consider for a warranty claim (provided the Phantom is <12 months old)
2017-10-3
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

What place for take off did you choose? Was it a concrete surface or was any steel or iron or nickel near the Phantom? Nickel is also magnetic material. But if it´s so then how you started the Phantom???
2017-10-3
Use props
Patrack
New

Canada

It happened in the back country, a grass field in a forest no constructions of any kind near by. I just used the drone a few times for video project and i never found it very stable, it probably switching to atti, i have to look at the logs. The thing is the manual doesn't say anything of what the drone will do if you hit return home while on atti mode, just that obviously it can not return home, but im pretty sure it not supposed to take off on you at 30mph ??
2017-10-3
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Patrack Posted at 2017-10-3 10:59
It happened in the back country, a grass field in a forest no constructions of any kind near by. I just used the drone a few times for video project and i never found it very stable, it probably switching to atti, i have to look at the logs. The thing is the manual doesn't say anything of what the drone will do if you hit return home while on atti mode, just that obviously it can not return home, but im pretty sure it not supposed to take off on you at 30mph ??

I believe Labroides is correct
For whatever reason you either had an internal malfunction effecting your compass or there was a magnetic interference in the area.  Could you have been near an old iron mine or mining operation or maybe an iron ore deposit, this would have caused the same type of problem as being near reinforced concrete etc.  At 7m 7.4s in to the flight you got a "Magnetic Field Interference. Exit P-GPS Mode" error message, which supports Labroides assertion and my theory.  
2017-10-3
Use props
Patrack
New

Canada

This is earlier same day same location

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DQLKB87OLUCMX5U2UY2O/

That one is earlier this year different location, farm field close to town.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/G6Z4CZ7PBHSUBPRGWEG8/
2017-10-3
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Well it seems you either have or were inducing compass errors from bad compass calibrations or your bird was/is showing a constant and persistent compass problem.  Based on this new information, I doubt it is due to or caused by local effects.
I would guess it is from performing a bad calibration or something failed internally and has been going on for some time.
2017-10-3
Use props
Patrack
New

Canada

I guess it worth sending it back to dji as it less than 12 months old.

I would like to keep using aerial shots in my video but im scared to crash an other drone.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate
2017-10-3
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sometimes, gimbals on the p3s are fixable. I would post a pic to show the damage.
2017-10-3
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Looking at all three flights it does appear to be ac malfunction since the locations vary. Unless bad calibrations were performed.
What is your routine for calibrating? A good calibration should be done in a open area free of cars concrete preferably a grassy spot. Once a good calibration is done, you dont need to recal unless app tells you too, or your hundreds of miles from the previous calibration spot.
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to send it in for fully diagnosis and repair: http://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav.

As the drone is in warranty period, the local team will conduct data analysis to check the exact reason and offer you the corresponding solutions. Please tell us your case number once you got it, we'd like to follow up.
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules