Missing flight record
635 2 2018-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Karen Ritson Brenan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

hi, firstly I’m a beginner so sorry

I was flying my air on the beach on holiday & it disconnected, didn’t return home, flew around a bit (to the point my husband who was there and didn’t know it had disconnected thought I’d gone mad) then flew over the sea and that’s where it ended up.  I managed to retrieve it.

I’ve been speaking to DJI about what happened,  but the last flight record on my cloud has it landing (on land) there is nothing unusual.

DJI can’t investigate as they don’t have the flight record, but I can’t provide what isn’t there.

Any ideas? Where can I get it or how can it be missing.

I could claim on my holiday insurance but at the moment that’s going to mean lying and just saying I dropped it in the sea or something, which obviously I don’t want to do as that’s fraud.  

And I don’t really want to buy another without knowing what happened or what I did.

After my drone went down there was someone else flying, could it have been them trying to connect and accidentally connected to mine somehow. My other theory is that the gps was out somehow, although the home point is correct, but there was something like 16 satilites so unsure that could be it
2018-5-4
Use props
Jack Beans
lvl.2

United States

Did you do any pre-flight checks?  Set home point?  
2018-5-4
Use props
Karen Ritson Brenan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes, initialy I thought maybe my home point was wrong, but on checking it wasn’t.  The last flight recorded has the pilot (me) landing it, and DJI thought I’d landed it in the sea......

I did worry that was the case, until I realised that the GPS location of the home point and any photos taken on the flight were correct and where I saw it go down didn’t match where the gps shows landed

Also In the last flight recording there is no recording to reflect disconnected drone, and I know that happened.  I clearly remember it landing, I had a black screen saying disconnected and offering to cancel the landing, I kept trying to cancel but it didn’t respond

Dji offered me 15% discount off a new drone and battery, then 30%.  Which I was considering just accepting and chalking this one up as a one off.  But now as I can’t provide a flight of it disconnecting & landing in the sea  for them to analysis they have dropped the offer to 15% and say as I can’t provide the data I shouldn’t be getting any offer.  They mentioned 30% in writing to then change their mind is shoddy.

This worry’s me as it’s not my fault the data is missing, if they can’t tell me how to find it I have no hope, it shouldn’t be missing.  If I don’t know what happened, it could happen again.  It might have been my fault in some way, but if I can’t investigate I’ll never learn.  Maybe I did land it in the sea accidentally and the gps point recorded is just way off somehow, but I clearly remember it in front of me (over land) hovering and not reacting to my controls, then flying off.  I just don’t know.

I asked how can data / flight be missing, the reply was there are many reasons data can be missing.  That just makes me think they think I’m lying, but surely they have a way to verify I’m not and have access to my account.

Sorry I’m rambling, just thinking out loud really

Feeling let down by DJI to be honest, you kind of expect premium customer service with a premium product but dont get it.  At the moment I have a set of useless kit and I don’t know if I want to put more cash into it, knowing my experience with them over this.  And I’m annoyed at their backtracking over discount.  
2018-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules