Thinking about getting an Air, help?
867 19 2018-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji_and_happy
lvl.2
Ireland

Hi,
So previously I owned a syma (dont laugh) drone - I enjoyed flying back and forth around the garden, risking high shots- but the poor little thing could never handle anything and never stood still. So now I am thinking about getting a Mavic Air - something quality that will last.

I want a the drone to enjoy flying, capture good pictures and video of altitude shots of my area, and go away and whip out the mavic and grab a cool shot. But after exploring this forum all I see are 4k edited videos of great shots -

I don't really have much interest in compiling footage and editing in 4k - nor do I own a computer cabable of it - 1080 is grand for me. I guess I am asking is the Mavic for me? It's fold up size, quality, reviews and future proofing appeal to me.

Can anyone give me some advice?

2018-5-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

The Air can make great footage at 1080p - really. Go for it.
2018-5-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Fully agree with FlyDK, if it meets your budget, clearly thumbs up! You can start at 1080p and be happy but soon will also experience the great advantages of up to 2.7K. 4K is not really needed most of the time.
2018-5-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have a Syma bundle of fun but spend my time crashing it, will have given you great experience, you are going to be pis#ing when you get a MavAir. Get it and enjoy take 4K footage, you never know you may have equipment someday to watch it, and everything can be scaled back. Good luck.......
2018-5-7
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Nothing wrong with a Syma, quite the contrary it is an excellent low cost quadcopter for having fun chucking it around and learning. Mavic air is great as long as you appreciate its limitations like range and noise level. But for me portability is the deciding factor. Otherwise the pro may be an option.
2018-5-7
Use props
dji_and_happy
lvl.2
Ireland

Thanks for all the above,
I guess I am also worried that the Air is overkill for a person that wants only nice footage, and fun flying - is the spark a better option? Or is the spark too much for so many limitations? compared to the small jump in price to the Air.

2018-5-7
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

You want the air- I shoot in 1080 and its great
2018-5-7
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The air without question, capable little drone of exceptional quality.
2018-5-7
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

I say mavic pro.
2018-5-7
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Good for near range good for speedy. Do not expect range over 300 m. in the neighbourhood.

2018-5-7
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Air over spark for sure.
2018-5-7
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh, man. The Air for sure. Now the Spark has some cool hand take off and landing features the Air doesn't but for range and, you've got to check out APAS, then your options open up wide!
2018-5-7
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The camera of Air is much better than camera and much stable on filming.
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

The Mavic air is a great drone. You will enjoy it.
2018-5-7
Use props
wjkrysak
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am a very happy owner of a Mavic Air. You will have loads of fun with this "copter". From your description (wants), this will fit the bill. Compact to carry, fun to fly and good camera. Enjoy your flying.
2018-5-7
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

+1 for the Air; will more than meet your photography/videography needs, and is super-portable. Get the FlyMore combo - extra batteries and an awesome little compact bag to store it all in   
2018-5-7
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Face-AcheNZ Posted at 2018-5-7 18:36
+1 for the Air; will more than meet your photography/videography needs, and is super-portable. Get the FlyMore combo - extra batteries and an awesome little compact bag to store it all in

Yes - the total individual cost of the 2 extra batteries alone is close to the FMC price difference so makes sense to buy it over the standalone version.
2018-5-7
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The combo come with 3 batteries. However, the charge hub and beg can support up to 4 batteries. You can have over an hour flight time with 4 batteries fully changed. You can consider get one more battery later.
2018-5-7
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I only shoot in 1080 with my MA.  

For me, as a hobbyist, 4k is just too cumbersome but it's really nice to know it's there if I ever have a need for it.
2018-5-8
Use props
JakeS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7287871 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Air for sure! I shot this with the Air and my iphone
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now