Motor obstructed and crashed in water - help
634 9 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveFra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149012 ft

I had a phantom 3 pro and have about 3 hours on it.  Never crashed it before and always kept it up to date.  Was flying it the other day and while bringing it back toward me it started spinning out of control and crashed into a lake (right in the middle).  Was at 500+ feet and didn't hit anything (was over water).  I have never had any issues with the drone.

Since it is at the bottom of the lake I have been unable to recover the drone.  

I have a couple questions;

1.  Will DJI replace a faulty drone that gets lost due to mechanical failure?
2.  If they will replace it, how do you go about the process?

I uploaded the flight log at; http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T5TGQY12PGM6PNLSADAK/#

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Since the Drone crash-landed into the lake please contact DJI Support. I will post the DJI online repair request link ( www.dji.com/support ) for you to create a ticket for your DJI Phantom 3 Pro for us to know the real reason why the Drone acted that way. Please sync the flight records as well using the DJI Go application. Thank you.
2018-7-15
Use props
DaveFra
lvl.1

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-15 11:15
Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Since the Drone crash-landed into the lake please contact DJI Support. I will post the DJI online repair request link ( www.dji.com/support ) for you to create a ticket for your DJI Phantom 3 Pro for us to know the real reason why the Drone acted that way. Please sync the flight records as well using the DJI Go application. Thank you.

Thank you.  I went to the DJI Go app and under the flight list, I clicked on the sync icon.  From there it asked me to "Sync your flight records".  I selected "ALL".  It appears to have sync to something, having passed through 100%.  Is that what you mean by "syncing the flight record with DJI servers?"

Also, do you have the phone number to contact support?

Thank you for the quick reply and the help.
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

DaveFra Posted at 2018-7-15 11:18
Thank you.  I went to the DJI Go app and under the flight list, I clicked on the sync icon.  From there it asked me to "Sync your flight records".  I selected "ALL".  It appears to have sync to something, having passed through 100%.  Is that what you mean by "syncing the flight record with DJI servers?"

Also, do you have the phone number to contact support?

Hi. Thank you for that information. Yes, that is the correct way on how to sync the flight records of your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I will be providing you the list of contact numbers and office hours of DJI for your reference.

2018-7-15
Use props
DaveFra
lvl.1

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-15 11:28
Hi. Thank you for that information. Yes, that is the correct way on how to sync the flight records of your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I will be providing you the list of contact numbers and office hours of DJI for your reference.

[view_image]

Is there a way to find the serial number in the DJI Go app?  I don't have the drone or the original box.
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Unfortunately, the DJI Go application does not have the serial number of the Drone. The best thing you need to do if you do not have the serial number of the Drone is to call DJI Support and the agent that you need to open a ticket for the Drone that went under the lake but you do not have the serial number information with you.
2018-7-15
Use props
DaveFra
lvl.1

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-15 11:42
Hi. Unfortunately, the DJI Go application does not have the serial number of the Drone. The best thing you need to do if you do not have the serial number of the Drone is to call DJI Support and the agent that you need to open a ticket for the Drone that went under the lake but you do not have the serial number information with you.

Found the original box!  Thank you for the help.  Going to put the ticket in right now.
2018-7-15
Use props
DaveFra
lvl.1

DaveFra Posted at 2018-7-15 12:10
Found the original box!  Thank you for the help.  Going to put the ticket in right now.

While I wait to put the ticket in with DJI (don't open until 9 am pst)....

Does anyone have an idea why my drone just spun out of control and crashed?  Was flying fine and then just suddenly spun and down it went.  

see; http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T5TGQY12PGM6PNLSADAK/#

Thanks in advance.

2018-7-16
Use props
Drycatoh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1172723 ft
France

Hi, first, I'm not a proffessionnal, but I have some ideas on what may have caused the crash

It may have something to deal with an insect which get inside a propeller or a motor, but since the motor error popped seconds before the crash, I don't really think it's related...
But you can see on the flight log that many errors related to GPS and compass popped too (and they made the drone to go ATTI-mode), so it may mean that something was doing interferences with the drone, which disoriented him, but still, I'm not a professionnal, just a geek and drone-fan ^^'
Also the problem began when you went over the water, it may also be VPS-related, like if this piece had a malfunction, it may have disoriented the drone itself, making conflicts between GPS/Compass and VPS data... Or just the fact that you flew over water may have disoriented the VPS system, since the P3-series VPS wasn't as accurate as P4's.
Oh, and I just realised that the battery had a voltage drop at 7m 8s for a whilew chich caused the motor to overload (not sure what this message means, except that they spin too fast), which may say that the battery had a malfunction too...
So much possibilities, and no answer for now ^^'

Hope DJI will be nice with you, and you'll get something from the support, I can feel your disappointment too
EDIT : don't mind about my english please ^^

2018-7-17
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft

To me......it looks like after the warning about interference....@ 7.16 min motor overload.   I'm not sure if a warning appeared on device or not.  I think that @ this point is where the drone ether
hit a bird, leaves or huge bug..   There was an indication that the drone would drop altitude...This is where the drone should have been brought back.

From that point on the motor just kept getting worse.  I think the other warnings were a result of the drone trying to correct itself.

From this point on the problem just got even worse until the motor just burnt out and dropped into the lake.

Just a beginners guess..   

from what I can see...the lake is only about 500-800 feet across.   If you check the scale of housed in the area....

I can't believe that this lake is 500 feet deep.   It would be as deep as it is wide...?

My guess is DJI will say first motor warning was ignored and fault lies with operator.
That's my guess here.

Best of luck with your case.
2018-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules