3004 27 2018-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just tried some long exposure night shots and WOW there are to many hot pixels. Is everyone else seeing a significant amount on thier m2p? this is a stitched image. I have the cluster of 3 on the top which you see repeating in the panorama stitch so I know they are not stars.

hot pixels mavic 2 pro

hot pixels mavic 2 pro
2018-11-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we do appreciate reaching us with your query. Would it be possible to share your camera settings when you took the shot? Also can you share some photo in a different perspective? Thank you.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That does not look nice.
BTW, I'm not sure if M2P has a Hasselblad sensor.
I believe it has a Sony sensor with a expensive brand name printed on the front of the camera.
2018-11-15
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Poland

There's no such thing as a “Hasselblad sensor”. Hasselblad does not make any sensors. Their MF cameras all use Sony sensors.
2018-11-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

El Diablo Posted at 11-15 06:22
Really???? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Hahahahahahahaha.
Selling my M2P today on eBay
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

El Diablo Posted at 11-15 06:26
I believe you are asking a little too much from a tiny 1" sensor drone. Mind that modern DSLRs have a Noise Reduction option when doing long exposure photography meaning that practically, the camera takes as much time to process the photo as it took to take it in the 1st place. If you chose not to use this feature to save time, often you get results like the one you've posted. I don't think (haven't tried it so I am just speculating) that DJI has implemented a Noise Reduction option for night photography to save battery life. Also, I would bet that you got that many hot pixels after several trials and not on the first attempt right?

The sensors on DJI camera's have the tendency to overheat quickly.
Maybe that won't help too.
2018-11-15
Use props
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-15 05:07
Hi there, we do appreciate reaching us with your query. Would it be possible to share your camera settings when you took the shot? Also can you share some photo in a different perspective? Thank you.

yes iso 200, f2.8, 1' exposure.
2018-11-15
Use props
fans589cba4b
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 11-15 06:26
I believe you are asking a little too much from a tiny 1" sensor drone. Mind that modern DSLRs have a Noise Reduction option when doing long exposure photography meaning that practically, the camera takes as much time to process the photo as it took to take it in the 1st place. If you chose not to use this feature to save time, often you get results like the one you've posted. I don't think (haven't tried it so I am just speculating) that DJI has implemented a Noise Reduction option for night photography to save battery life. Also, I would bet that you got that many hot pixels after several trials and not on the first attempt right?

right but the last 2 phantom 4 pro's I've had contained 0 hot pixels which was amazing because my canon 5dsr and 5d4 contain many hot/dead pixels and thats a ff sensor.
2018-11-15
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
United States

Not nice indeed. And no, I don't have that.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans589cba4b Posted at 11-15 07:12
right but the last 2 phantom 4 pro's I've had contained 0 hot pixels which was amazing because my canon 5dsr and 5d4 contain many hot/dead pixels and thats a ff sensor.

Even in raw shooting?
All camera's that I have had have hot pixels when shooting raw and long exposures.
Even my FF Nikon D610 has that after some time.

Now remember, Phantom's have a larger housing (camera) that don't overheat as quickly.
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans589cba4b Posted at 11-15 07:12

PS, I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with your M2P.
I am just saying that with long exposures I also have it on my other camera's after some time.
2018-11-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

To be certain, use normal method of checking for hot pixels, cover lens with a cap then take long exposure.
2018-11-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-15 06:34
The sensors on DJI camera's have the tendency to overheat quickly.
Maybe that won't help too.

You are supposed to carry a can of Super Freeze spray to keep sensor below 6,000° Celsius...
2018-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-15 10:41
You are supposed to carry a can of Super Freeze spray to keep sensor below 6,000° Celsius...

Hahahahahahaha.
LOL
2018-11-15
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

El Diablo Posted at 11-18 23:59
It is actually a Sony sensor and YES, they tend to overheat really quickly. that is the main reason 1-2 years ago, DSLRs couldn't film more than 20-30mn of 4k video at the time...

Exactly.
I even have this on my Nikon D610 after multiple long exposures (20s+)
2018-11-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-11-19
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 11-18 23:59
It is actually a Sony sensor and YES, they tend to overheat really quickly. that is the main reason 1-2 years ago, DSLRs couldn't film more than 20-30mn of 4k video at the time...

Thats not the reason El Diablo... Its a software limitation in most cases

Quote:
''Back in 2006, the EU controversially decided to classify high-end digital cameras as video recorders, which attached a customs duty of 5-12% for digital cameras imported into Europe....
The tax's consequence, though, has been felt in every digital camera user looking to use a DSLR in place of a camcorder, as camera manufactures would rather limit recording capability in software than raise the price of its cameras (or lower their margins)...''

But its true about sony... as they had a tendency to overheat after few minutes of recording in few of their cameras  
2018-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Crio Posted at 11-19 01:35
Thats not the reason El Diablo... Its a software limitation in most cases

Quote:

Limit on recording is continuous 30 minutes, I know this because I had to prove time capacity when I imported my P4Pro.
2018-11-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-11-19
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 11-19 02:31
Sorry Crio but I tend to disagree with you. 1-2 years ago, small sensors trying to record in 4K, specially in the Sony cameras were overheating like crazy and manufacturers limiting the record time. I am not aware of that law you've mentioned but nodaways, today those heating issues are more or less solved and if the law remains the same it simply doesn't make any sense...

Again, thats not the cause why they limited recording times but yes every camera sensor will overheat quicker or faster depending on manufacturer.
2018-11-19
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-19 02:19
Limit on recording is continuous 30 minutes, I know this because I had to prove time capacity when I imported my P4Pro.

I was reffering to DLSRs, I should mention this, sorry...
2018-11-19
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Yes, same case here but slightly worse https://forum.dji.com/thread-173920-1-1.html
2018-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

El Diablo Posted at 11-19 00:15
If I may, i would like to give you an advice from a Photographer's perspective. You could try to reduce that amount to max. 20-25sec so try bumping your ISO to 800 (or 1600 although noise will obviously increase) instead. A 1 minute long exposure for a drone is a little too much, i am surprised you aren't introducing any blur...

The below photo was shot with a little Pentax Q-S1 (1/2.3" sensor) at ISO 800, 25sec. just give it a try

Man oh man!   Your poor Pentax.  It must have Billions and Billions of Hot Pixels!  
2018-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

For OP.  Found this Windows Hot / Dead Pixel checker for another Thread.
May help you to get an idea of how many of each.

Dead Pixel Test StarZen Technologies

2018-12-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules