BRAND NEW MANY DOUBTS
1049 7 2018-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
batrik
lvl.1
United States

Hi Fellas, first time owner of Mavic 2 Pro. I have an upcoming trip to Hawaii. Can I take this Drone in a plane? Do I have toregister it with FAA?
Any other valuable suggestions are highly appreciated , thanks
2018-12-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You do have to register with the FAA before flying anywhere outside in the US. If you're only flying as a hobbyist, you should register under Section 336 here.

You can take drones on a plane. See the website for the airline of your choice for any special restrictions for the drone batteries. All airlines make you carry the drone batteries in your carry-on bag. Some have limits to how many batteries you can carry.
2018-12-2
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

watch out for strong wind. Be very wary of high wind above hill tops - if it is breezy on the ground it will be blowing strong in the sky where your drone will be. do not be the sad victim of a fly away. avoid trees. resist flying over water until you have had some hours experience. Read the manual. Good luck and happy flying.
2018-12-2
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Make sure you drain your batteries to a few percent before taking on plane in hand luggage only. I expect some battery experts will materialise here telling you not to. But airlines insist they are drained as much as possible before taking onto a plane. If you are unsure write to whatever airline you are flying with and request their specific instructions for taking drone batteries on as hand luggage. You cannot put them in the hold luggage as they sometimes catch fire. I always drain mine down to 2% before flying and have had no negative effects on battery life or flying time.
2018-12-4
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 12-4 07:26
Make sure you drain your batteries to a few percent before taking on plane in hand luggage only. I expect some battery experts will materialise here telling you not to. But airlines insist they are drained as much as possible before taking onto a plane. If you are unsure write to whatever airline you are flying with and request their specific instructions for taking drone batteries on as hand luggage. You cannot put them in the hold luggage as they sometimes catch fire. I always drain mine down to 2% before flying and have had no negative effects on battery life or flying time.

Consider taking a car charger.  You might be away from the hotel when you most need a charge. Registration is not really a priority. You will be in the U.S. and nobody you meet, including security would have the slightest idea about registration. As mentioned, stay away from over water flights. READ the manual again.  I know it is popular to just read the quick start.  Have fun !!!
2018-12-4
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Tape over the battery contacts while transporting in the airplane. Or better, get the battery covers (about 3 bucks for 4)
Do not do any updates at this time if your AC/controller are working perfectly fine. Also, don't update "on the road", you may regret it.
Don't fly over the water, just yet.....and, if you cannot resist, turn of all landing protection, precision landing etc., the water does mess with those sensors.
Check out Verifly, on the go insurance, as long as you are within the rules, and not doing anything "illegal". Pay as you fly, rates depend on environment, length, location, location, and yes, location.  
Lookie here:
https://verifly.com/drone.html
And re-re-re-read the manual on the flight over......
2018-12-4
Use props
djl61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795810 ft
United States

Here's a video about flying on commercial airlines with a drone.  It's 17 minutes long but has good information.  Don't for get to register with the FAA, only $5.00 here's the link https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/.  
2018-12-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Aside from knowing the local policy in Hawaii about using the drone, you could also visit our website to see if the locations where you about to fly is restricted or not. You may refer to the link below. Thank you for the support and have a safe flight ahead!

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules