Mavic Air with Samsung Tab A 8"
7808 20 2019-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveBurns
lvl.1
Australia

Hey everyone,

I have just purchased a Mavic Air and would like to go with a larger screen than my phone.
I already have this Tablet so wondering if the specs will be OK to do the job.

Screenshot (12).png
Screenshot (11).png
2019-3-29
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

A DJI moderator will come back with this list...and say if its not on the list etc etc... hopefully somebody else will be using one and give some info..
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.
2019-3-29
Use props
Knuckles Nuclear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 458025 ft
United States

I bought the Wi-Fi  only version of this tablet and have had no problems flying with it. I also have not installed any other apps. It is used strictly for flying.
2019-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DaveBurns. Thank you for purchasing the DJI Mavic Air and thank you for reaching out. Upon checking the mobile device Samsung Tab A 8. I am sorry to say that the mobile device is still not recommended for your DJI Mavic Air as of the moment. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Samsung Tab A 8 will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Mavic Air and with the DJI Go 4 application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the Samsung Tab A 8 when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. Thank you.

2019-3-29
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Tomcatuk Posted at 3-29 02:49
A DJI moderator will come back with this list...and say if its not on the list etc etc... hopefully somebody else will be using one and give some info..
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

And as if by Magic... lol.

2019-3-29
Use props
Aussierob78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740476 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I had the Tab A with my old P4 Advanced and Pro, and had nothing but issues with it. Often it would disconnect during flight, if it was recognised at all. IPad is definitely the best option
2019-4-1
Use props
smirnoff9969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

my samsung galaxy tab 3 (10") can`t even install DJI GO app (for my Phantom 3)...aldo all other apps I`v tried works well...
so I struggle now with 5ˇscreen of HTC...

but iPAD is too expensive in Cro...even lite versions....
2019-4-1
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Ken Storm Posted at 3-29 09:31
And as if by Magic... lol.

2019-4-4
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

Hey Dave,

Have you tried this tablet yet?  I have (almost) the same one and I'd be interested in your experience.

I took one 5 min flight but it was windy so I bought it down, the tablet did fine.  Although this particular rendition of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A isn't on the official list, it's OS, processor speed and RAM meet the standards of other devices that are on the list.

The model number of mine is SM-T387V and it was manufactured for Verizon customers.  

If anyone else would like to chime in, my specs are as follows:

- OS - Android 8.1 Oreo
- Processor - Processor Speed, Type - Qualcomm MSM 8917 (aka Snapdragon 425) -
   four 64-Bit Cortex-A53 CPU cores (quad-core) speeeds up to 1.4 GHz
- Camera resolution (Front) 5.0 MP
- RAM 2GB
- Disk 32GB

Thank you, friends.
2019-4-8
Use props
kaus
lvl.3
Chile

I used the SM-T380 (I guess is the same one) with my Mavic Air.
No issues at all.
2019-4-8
Use props
DaveBurns
lvl.1
Australia

Bluehook Posted at 4-8 10:38
Hey Dave,

Have you tried this tablet yet?  I have (almost) the same one and I'd be interested in your experience.

I did not get a chance to try it with the tablet as the mount has not turned up as yet.
I did take it for a flight though.
2019-4-9
Use props
DaveBurns
lvl.1
Australia

2019-4-9
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

kaus Posted at 4-8 11:33
I used the SM-T380 (I guess is the same one) with my Mavic Air.
No issues at all.

Yes kaus, that is virtually identical to mine.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.  Much appreciated.

2019-4-9
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

Awesome Dave!

Where was that taken?

2019-4-9
Use props
DaveBurns
lvl.1
Australia

Bluehook Posted at 4-9 09:57
Awesome Dave!

Where was that taken?

A place called Pebbly Beach near Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia
2019-4-10
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

DaveBurns Posted at 4-10 02:35
A place called Pebbly Beach near Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia

Hey Dave - I've used my Samsung Tab several times now and here's my review;

It's nice to have the bigger screen but with that only comes a LOT more glare.  I even purchased the DJI Sunshade but it didn't make a big difference, I still see my big, dumb ugly face staring back at me and need to tilt the device/remote to see specific parts of the screen.

Maybe it's just this model tablet, I'm not sure?  But now, each time I go out to fly, I find myself instinctively grabbing the cell phone because, for my uses, it's more useful and "comfortable" than the tablet.

My conclusion - a bigger screen isn't always an advantage or more useful.

2019-6-14
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
2019-8-2
Use props
KenDuke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50837 ft

I just purchased one of these for my Mavic Pro.  I've got a mount that fits.  So, here's for the hope!
I also have a iPad Mini 4, but, its in the shop.  It kept shutting down in the middle of flights, or anything else I was trying to do.
So, if they don't charge a arm and leg to fix it.  I'll be using that instead.  
2019-10-12
Use props
djiuser_dgbggVMswLVE
New

United States

Hello All,
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 - it works like a charm with my Mavic Air. I wasn't sure, but took the leap and was pleasantly surprised!
2020-4-13
Use props
tulcakgmail.com
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_dgbggVMswLVE Posted at 4-13 18:14
Hello All,
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 - it works like a charm with my Mavic Air. I wasn't sure, but took the leap and was pleasantly surprised!

I just ordered one.... gulp!...
2020-5-17
Use props
Liver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4360 ft
United States

I just got the new samsung galaxy tab a SM-T290. so far it works good. To rainy here now to try much. I had to download the DJI Fly app file from the DJI website to get it to load though. Every other app I use for flying loaded and works no problem.
2020-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules