How hard was it to land?
2019-12-16
Use props
Shawn.Tom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23570935 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Why is hard? I think it is pretty easy.  manualy control and land. I rarely used a auto landing
2019-12-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive flown at night, landing is the same,  but I assume you mean how hard is it to get back to the landing spot?
2019-12-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Getting back to landing spot can be a bit tricky but it sure is easier to see your phone or tablet after the sun goes down.  
2019-12-17
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10400463 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can hardly see during the day time.

2019-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day trader766. Thank you for reaching out and I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this inquiry. In addition with regards to flying your DJI Mavic Mini at night time. I would recommend flying the drone  in your line of sight, because the said drone, does not support obstacle avoidance. Please use the DJI Mavic Mini with the 360 degree propeller guard to fully protect the drone and it's propeller and to improve flight safety. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2019-12-17
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not carried out any night time flights. Although I do want to. I have an area that has a decent Christmas light display that I've been wanting to capture. The weather here has not been cooperative for the last few days though.
2019-12-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

that is the easy part. as closer it is, as better you can see it ;-)
2019-12-17
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

You might want to think about installing a couple of the CREE strobes on your AC
Aids in visibility/orientation for you and other aircraft.
2019-12-17
Use props
tcg550
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

I was out taking our Christmas card photo this evening when I came across this in our local grocery store parking lot. We had something to eat waiting for it to get dark so I could capture this. Yup, those are shopping carts.

2019-12-17
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Clever use of shopping carts. I like it. Good photo, by the way.
2019-12-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have flown the mini a couple times at night with three strobes, red and green in front and white in the rear.  you can see it at all times.  you would be shocked how beautiful this thing flies since you pretty much cannot fly it out of sight at night with strobes on full blast.
2019-12-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

tcg550 Posted at 12-17 17:03
I was out taking our Christmas card photo this evening when I came across this in our local grocery store parking lot. We had something to eat waiting for it to get dark so I could capture this. Yup, those are shopping carts.

[view_image]

Nice shot.
2019-12-17
Use props
frafri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489314 ft
United States

I tried landing but didnt land then caught it with my hand and it caught my hand
2019-12-19
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Good question, seems tempting but I think you have to be aware of your envrionment and most important foreground.
If you are in a well lit area may be ok, but in a non lit area you may run the risk like me of returning too dark,is hard to see it and downward vision is gone.

I'm adding a Vifly Beacon to mine for this purpose, other than finding it, the LED is super bright, and the buzzer loud.
2019-12-19
Use props
69th Drone Detachment
lvl.2

United States

The Saint Posted at 12-17 18:15
i have flown the mini a couple times at night with three strobes, red and green in front and white in the rear.  you can see it at all times.  you would be shocked how beautiful this thing flies since you pretty much cannot fly it out of sight at night with strobes on full blast.

what type of strobes?
2019-12-21
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

when landing  at nite time in a dark place the (at least this is the case with my mavic pro) due to insifficient ambient light the sensors switch off which results that manual landing must be controlled nicely or the drone will fly fast downward and into the ground.
2019-12-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i only use strobes from firehouse technology.
2019-12-21
Use props
Bal00
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
France

I use a strobon cree standalone white for rear plus a red and a green pad for front left and right (you have to add a 2.7 Ohms 1/4 W resistor to the red pad + wire)
It complains fcc rules, seen from 3 miles away , just great ! price is +/- 40$€
2020-5-2
Use props
GA92
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Wouldn't dare fly it at night!
2020-5-2
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

I used to have a really nice JJRC X9P with position lights...yes, I've flown at night but just for the kick of it and loved it
2020-5-2
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

The Saint, I also have the strobes from Firehouse Technology, red (port to front) green (starboard to front), white on top pointed up, another white from craft belly pointed down.  They work very well an last quite some time.  I have not YET flown at night though, waiting for right circumstances.
2020-5-2
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

I have flown at night. 400 feet up even. The light on the bottom is pretty easy to see. Easier than in the day. I wouldn't fly far out though. The camera on the other hand doesn't like low light. You can play with the shutter speed. I find 1.6 sec to be a good compromise. Longer and camera shake takes over. Shorter and it is just too dark.

2020-5-2
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

No problems. In a completely dark area I may bring a flashlight.
2020-5-2
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

Deucalion Posted at 5-2 13:59
I have flown at night. 400 feet up even. The light on the bottom is pretty easy to see. Easier than in the day. I wouldn't fly far out though. The camera on the other hand doesn't like low light. You can play with the shutter speed. I find 1.6 sec to be a good compromise. Longer and camera shake takes over. Shorter and it is just too dark.

[view_image]

Very nice...thank you.

2020-5-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum Posted at 5-2 13:42
The Saint, I also have the strobes from Firehouse Technology, red (port to front) green (starboard to front), white on top pointed up, another white from craft belly pointed down.  They work very well an last quite some time.  I have not YET flown at night though, waiting for right circumstances.

good deal.  that's a lot of light for the mini.  especially the white which is extremely bright.  which I why I use one white in the rear in place of one on top and one on the bottom.  it's overkill but fly at night and see how it looks.  the plus with multiple colors is you can see the direction and easily identify.  if you have too much white, it's going to be hard to see green/red.  you'll be flying across or coming back and still see white when for me, I should only see white from the rear.

at nearly a mile out, I can spin my drone in a circle and clearly see it pointing to me (green/red) or pointing away (white) without the white washing out the green/red.  it's awesome.  these are the tiny strobes.  the full size strobes on my m2p, I can see them 2+ miles.
2020-5-2
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-2 14:19
good deal.  that's a lot of light for the mini.  especially the white which is extremely bright.  which I why I use one white in the rear in place of one on top and one on the bottom.  it's overkill but fly at night and see how it looks.  the plus with multiple colors is you can see the direction and easily identify.  if you have too much white, it's going to be hard to see green/red.  you'll be flying across or coming back and still see white when for me, I should only see white from the rear.

at nearly a mile out, I can spin my drone in a circle and clearly see it pointing to me (green/red) or pointing away (white) without the white washing out the green/red.  it's awesome.  these are the tiny strobes.  the full size strobes on my m2p, I can see them 2+ miles.

The ones I have are the ones with 4 leds on the board, would rather have a 360 degree red in the rear, but can not use these for 360.  Got advice from FHT to always have some charge in those batteries, never run them all the way down.  Will get it up one of these days.
2020-5-4
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always hand catch day or night.
2020-5-4
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

The challenge with the Mini at night is mostly during landing.

During launch you have no problem since you should be able to climb vertically knowing perfectly where you are coming from. During landing instead, even if you guided little Mini with the map (let's say it's pitch dark) the challenge is knowing exactly where it is in the sky. You may happen to be near something that might interfere like wires, a fence, a mast, a wall... something that you wouldn't want your Mini to smash against. In that moment you could really find good use of some marking on the drone.

This is my experience with it. For now I am experimenting with glow in the dark stripes.
2020-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules