Does the Mini change remote control frequencies while flying?
4742 20 2020-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dk5ras
lvl.1
Germany

Hi all,
I wonder if the Mini does change remote control frequencies and bands while in the air, when interference shows? As a wireless communications engineer I know quite well that up in the air interference patterns are quite different from being on the ground, so for me such functionality would be a 100% must-have.

With best regards

Ralph.
2020-5-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Ralph,

The Mavic Mini does not change between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.  Some parts of the world do not allow 5.8 GHz and I am sure you are well aware of that.  These comments are for other Forum Members that may read this post.  But within 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz, the bands are changed to optimize transmission.  I get 5.8 GHz over here and it is working well so far.

Hope this helps!

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-7
Use props
Brucom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10171 ft
Italy

Hi
Good question, I had the same doubt but no reply till now.
2020-5-7
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Brucom Posted at 5-7 02:47
Hi
Good question, I had the same doubt but no reply till now.

no, they are not changed during flight, even channel stays the same i think.you can only change before take off.
2020-5-7
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

Did you mean to ask if he changes channels within the band? I do not know.
2020-5-7
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've wondered this as well however I noticed if I manually switch between 2.4Ghz & 5.8 Ghz I get a message about wifi rebooting, I doubt it would do this during flight so assume it stays with the one it picks when first switched on.
2020-5-7
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1226368 ft
United Kingdom

yes and no.

In auto mode the mini will swap between channels in the same band that you set at take off, it will not swap between 2.4 and 5.8.

If you use manual mode it will stay on the frequency and channel you select
2020-5-7
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Shame that it can't change band and frequency mid-air((( If you set frequency and band manually, you also can't change the band in air. If you set to Auto, usually it choose 2.4 but it flies only 500-600 meters in 2.4, and 1500-2000 meters in 5.8. All we have is to hope that selected band in 5.8 will be clear. I think it will be great to chose AUTO and manually select frequency so it will adjust band automatically.
2020-5-7
Use props
dk5ras
lvl.1
Germany

Thanks for clarification. I will pin the beast to 5.8 (I am in Germany, so 5.8 is available) and make tests if it is better then 2.4 GHz. Less power, but also less RF noise.
2020-5-7
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Pashi Posted at 5-7 04:53
Shame that it can't change band and frequency mid-air((( If you set frequency and band manually, you also can't change the band in air. If you set to Auto, usually it choose 2.4 but it flies only 500-600 meters in 2.4, and 1500-2000 meters in 5.8. All we have is to hope that selected band in 5.8 will be clear. I think it will be great to chose AUTO and manually select frequency so it will adjust band automatically.

You have that backwards

In CE drone 5.8Ghz has a range of 500m maximum

The drone will use 2.4Ghz if it can (max 2km range) but this is very susceptible to interference.

Basically of it picks 5.8Ghz your in an area that won't benefit at all from the 2.4Ghz potential extra range anyway so there's no point in it switching mid flight.
2020-5-7
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

This theme was discussed many times before and no one has confirmed that in automode the channel swaps. In midflight I have often check the channel and never have seen that the actual channel is different from the channel I had on start. For me it's clear : Automode means nothing more than that the channel is automatically set at the beginning ...and not midflight
2020-5-7
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

The only moment when the Mini actively picks a channel is at startup still on the ground. Past that moment you need to manually select a frequency and re-select AUTO to trigger the automatic selection again (this can only be done while on the ground).
2020-5-7
Use props
dk5ras
lvl.1
Germany

jonny007 Posted at 5-7 07:31
This theme was discussed many times before and no one has confirmed that in automode the channel swaps. In midflight I have often check the channel and never have seen that the actual channel is different from the channel I had on start. For me it's clear : Automode means nothing more than that the channel is automatically set at the beginning ...and not midflight

At least I have seen messages during flight, saying (not literally, just from memory) something like "weak signal, adjusting", and the picture got stable again.

I have the equipment to measure this, but this will make some efforts and will require a second person to operate the stuff

Ralph.
2020-5-7
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-7 05:26
You have that backwards

In CE drone 5.8Ghz has a range of 500m maximum

Nope. I'm flying CE in 5.8 more than 2000m and 2.4 less than 300.
2020-5-8
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Pashi Posted at 5-8 13:42

The specs are here - https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/mavic-mini/specs

Model MR1SD25
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)
2020-5-8
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

dk5ras Posted at 5-7 22:27
At least I have seen messages during flight, saying (not literally, just from memory) something like "weak signal, adjusting", and the picture got stable again.

I have the equipment to measure this, but this will make some efforts and will require a second person to operate the stuff

Because of minimal adjusting the antennas at the same time or you have moved yourself a few centimeters and then the connection was well again ? But these message as you have written, I noticed often too, but I must say that I don't have had a look to the connection menu whether there was another channel set compared to the start of flight. I must watch next time the message appears.
2020-5-8
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Pashi Posted at 5-8 13:42

in 5.8 more than 2000m

Seems this is only possible in russia...another guy from there has reported similar behaviour....very strange. Normally the range with 2.4GHz is double, 3 or 4 times further.
2020-5-8
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

dk5ras Posted at 5-7 22:27

Aloha Ralph,

If you have the equipment, you would be a great resource!  Feel free to take this bull by the horns.  We will all appreciate the benefit of your work in this area.  There is no manual for this yet.

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-9
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-8 14:19
The specs are here - https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/mavic-mini/specs

Model MR1SD25

This result I got with CE mavic mini in 5.8 GHz. In 2.4 connection breaks in less than 300  meters.

I'm using reflectors, BTW.
2020-5-9
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Pashi Posted at 5-9 14:26
This result I got with CE mavic mini in 5.8 GHz. In 2.4 connection breaks in less than 300  meters.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Hi,

There's nothing in your screenshots showing if its in 2.4 or 5.8 from what I can see?
Your results are opposite to the quoted manufacturer specs and most of the other feedback I have read from users. Would be really interested to know if you somehow have a different hardware version?
2020-5-11
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-11 02:23
Hi,

There's nothing in your screenshots showing if its in 2.4 or 5.8 from what I can see?

It's 5.8. I'm not flying in 2.4 so you only have to believe I switched it to manual 5.8 because my first ever flight straight out the box was only 250 meters away. It's not switching in air and always sets to 2.4 in auto mode so there is no choice except select 5.8 manually.
2020-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules