Giant Wasp spotted in Alberta, Canada!
706 8 2020-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony D.
lvl.4
Canada

giant_wasp.jpg

Well, at least the Mavic Mini Yellowjacket variety anyway...

My initial idea for this skin was something that looked threatening or dangerous to birds as I have had too many encounters with them lately and it is just a matter of time before something bad happens.

I started with a base skin, black carbon fiber (vinyl) cut from a template and then I added colored trim sheet. The adhesion on both of these is amazingly strong so I am not concerned with something peeling and getting into the props during flight.

The weight of the base skin is 5.6 grams and the trim is 1.2 grams for a total of 6.8 grams. Yes, I registered my Mini with Transport Canada before flying! It was only $5 (the price of a large cup of coffee and a bagel), and you still have to fly by the same rules as the larger drones regardless if it is registered or not. Besides, I had my Mavic Pro Platinum registered already.

During the subsequent flights after adding the skin there have been birds fly near the mini (even a hawk), but they continued on and showed no interest in it at all. Time will tell.

I have started something similar on my MPP, but I have not decided on a pattern yet. I was leaning towards orange on black with large angry owl eyes...

mm01.jpg mm02.jpg
mm03.jpg mm04.jpg
mm05.jpg

If you watch the video, please ignore the generally poor quality (over saturated, over exposed at times, WB off, ...etc.). I was concentrating more on the skin than getting great video.

2020-6-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14754314 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-6-28
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

Looks great!
2020-6-28
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2308091 ft
United States

You have your own pet MURDER HORNET!

2020-6-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2020-6-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hahahaha I was expecting a massive wasp but its a "mini mosquito"
2020-6-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-6-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It's a nice idea... looks like a very threatening beast.
2020-6-29
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Great skinning job, looks scary, that should keep the birds away, Thanks for sharing!
2020-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules