gimbal lock
2298 13 2015-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
korling
lvl.1
United States

I absolutely hate the gimbal lock that comes with the P3. It seems to be a lot less secure than the one on the P2V+. That's why many owners received P3's with the gimbal lock loose inside the box. On several occasions it has come loose inside my backpack during short trips to the field. What is the best and easiest option out there for a safe and secure gimbal lock? I saw a British P3 owner with a gimbal lock that secures itself to the gimbal mount above. I would think that a rubber version would be better and last longer than a 3d-printed plastic version. Thanks in advance for your opinion.
2015-6-18
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

I bought a 3D printed rubber one which also doubles as a lens cap. Much happier with it than the stock one.
2015-6-18
Use props
jlewis99
lvl.1
United States

I am using one of these... So far so good...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2436458

It is 3d printed but still seems nice.

Where can the rubber one be had?
2015-6-18
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you install the gimbal lock as shown below, it should not fall off. The important part is to squeeze the lock into the notch on the gimbal after it's lined up properly.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-18
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

A strip of Velcro Strap works for me, had one sitting around, I wrap it around the Gimbal lock.  Cheap too.
2015-6-18
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-18
Use props
todd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1063389 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recommend a lock that goes over the lens and slides onto the front of the gimbal. They are _SO_ much easier to put on and take off. They also fit much better and protect the lens. I bought the hard plastic one from Taco which connects to one leg of the landing gear and I _don't_ recommend it. It does not fit that good. I've since bought one of the rubber type locks and it works very well. Do yourself a favor and trash the stock lock. I'll work on getting up a review video shortly.
2015-6-19
Use props
korling
lvl.1
United States

todd@copelandho Posted at 2015-6-19 21:04
I recommend a lock that goes over the lens and slides onto the front of the gimbal. They are _SO_ mu ...

Where can I get one here in the USA? Thanks for the feedback!
2015-6-29
Use props
todd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1063389 ft
  • >>>
United States

korling Posted at 2015-6-30 00:01
Where can I get one here in the USA? Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry for the delay.... search on ebay for Gimbal Lock.
2015-7-5
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

todd@copelandho Posted at 2015-7-5 23:43
Sorry for the delay.... search on ebay for Gimbal Lock.

I just ordered this one, also has a camera lens cover built in: This is Version 2 of the TACO model.
http://taco-rc.com/taco-3dpower- ... -for-dji-phantom-3/
2015-7-5
Use props
dkyacht
New

United States

If my p3p is just sitting on my counter top how important is it to use the gimbal lock?  I can see if it's in the case and your driving/flying somewhere to secure it.
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i got one from uavbits.net and it works fine but i would agree that if the top clamp part had rubber it may work smother. but it may not clamp as good as the plastic 3d at which time we would be back at square 1 and find the clamp loose in the case.
2015-8-19
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/droningon                             pricey but both my birds are dressed
2015-8-19
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-6-18 23:20
If you install the gimbal lock as shown below, it should not fall off. The important part is to sque ...

I completely agree with this video, if you do it correctly and give it a tiny squeeze, this thing won't come off.
2015-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules