Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mpapapetrou
New
Flight distance : 6329 ft
Cyprus

Hi,

Just wanted some flying advice.

I usually fly and I just look up at the sky and the drone to fly. However when visisibiliy isnt too good, (ie bright and sunny) I cant see the drone clearly anymore and it becomes more difficult to fly as you dont know which direction its facing anymore.

What is good practice in this case, should I learn to fly just looking at the camera? or am I missing something?

Thank you
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14754314 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to use the video feed to your device for composing the images and video you wish to record. If you are not doing that then the drone is nothing more than a model aircraft and you're in the wrong hobby. In the app FPV will also see vital telemetry data in real time such as your altitude, distance and speed in addition to the map to help with orientation. You are also expected to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) of the drone for added safety. So almost every drone operator will do both intermittently. You also have RTH if you become totally disorientated.
2020-11-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello there mpapapetrou. Thank you for reaching us regarding the inquiry about the DJI Mavic mini. What I can advise is to kindly practice flying the unit using the live view and the DJI Fly App, but still maintaining a line of sight when flying it especially if you are a new user. You may also refer to this link we have for you regarding our DJI Mavic mini beginners guide: https://store.dji.com/guides/mavic-mini-beginner-guide/ and I hope that you will also get the best recommendation from the experiences of our fellow DJI co-pilots who had purchased the latest products we currently have. Thank you for your support.
2020-11-5
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

A J Posted at 11-5 02:38
You need to use the video feed to your device for composing the images and video you wish to record. If you are not doing that then the drone is nothing more than a model aircraft and you're in the wrong hobby. In the app FPV will also see vital telemetry data in real time such as your altitude, distance and speed in addition to the map to help with orientation. You are also expected to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) of the drone for added safety. So almost every drone operator will do both intermittently. You also have RTH if you become totally disorientated.

well said.
2020-11-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 11-5 02:38

Great advice.  
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's a tough one knowing where to look when you start out - I recall it being quite a daunting feeling at first.
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks mate
2020-11-5
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I do both.  It depends on what I am doing.  For example, today I was shooting video and photos of a radio tower.  At times I was within a foot of objects on the tower - at times inside the tower structure.  I can assure you that I was looking at the drone and tower.  I was glancing at the phone to compose the video, but that close to the tower, I was spending most of my time looking at the drone.

On the other hand, a couple weeks ago I was shooting video of an object about a quarter mile away from 30 to 40 feet above ground level.  I was entirely watching the video on my phone.

2020-11-5
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The Compass on the DJI Fly app has an arrow that rotates to indicate the direction the Mini is facing.  Also the arc indicated the orientation of the controller antennas in relationship to the drone.  This is incredibly helpful to keep the remote antennas aligned with the direction of the drone to improve signal.
2020-11-5
Use props
fans1f6b2232
New
Flight distance : 6329 ft
Cyprus

A J Posted at 11-5 12:15
It's a tough one knowing where to look when you start out - I recall it being quite a daunting feeling at first.

Thanks for the advice and spot on, it is quite daunting at first...
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans1f6b2232 Posted at 11-5 21:15
Thanks for the advice and spot on, it is quite daunting at first...

You’re welcome - take your time and enjoy it
2020-11-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome.
2020-11-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-11-7
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

K6CCC Posted at 11-5 17:25
I do both.  It depends on what I am doing.  For example, today I was shooting video and photos of a radio tower.  At times I was within a foot of objects on the tower - at times inside the tower structure.  I can assure you that I was looking at the drone and tower.  I was glancing at the phone to compose the video, but that close to the tower, I was spending most of my time looking at the drone.
[view_image]

Great Shots!
2020-11-7
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

If you want an advice, always try to fly looking up to the drone and the phone's camera.
Get acquaintance with the terrain in the surroundings of the position of the drone, because you never know when the visual contact can be lost.
Try to exercise yourself navigating throughout the terrain, even if you momentarily lose sight of the drone.
Even if it crashes, you can survey the most probable place where it landed.
Have excellent flights!
2020-11-7
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Thank you.
2020-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now