Initial Thoughts on the DJI FPV Combo
397 1 2021-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peccator
lvl.1

United States

I really really like my DJI FPV. It was expensive and I don't have a lot to throw around, but WOW!!! I'm glad I got this. Thanks for making this thing so usable for people just getting into drones like I am. I've had it for about a week now and have logged a good amount of time, mainly in N and S but a fair bit in M as well. The air-brakes, HUD indicators, RTH, training-wheel like approach to M mode, simulator, and more help me get into a thing that I otherwise would have no real access to. You really have something here. So much attention on making this accessible. Well done.

That's mainly what I wanted to say.

I only know about DJI because a relative got a Mini 2 a couple of weeks ago and it super intrigued me. But I decided I wanted the FPV experience because I like mastering new skills, and this seemed like there would be more to master.

One extra bit of feedback. I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't have practiced in the "DJIVirtual Flight" sim first. It was too big of a purchase to just try it out and see if I liked it, so that helped me pull the trigger. I would suggest making this pathway even easier by offering to sell the controller seperately and making the controller able to connect to an iPhone without the goggles. Then have an offer to upgrade to the full combo (sans controller) for the same total price as it would have been if they bought them all at once. This gives people like me a fair way into the sport. As of right now, it's difficult (or maybe impossible) to get the controller activated and connected without having a drone and a set of goggles. I had planned to not even turn on the goggles/drone for awhile after I bought them because I just wanted to practice for a good bit with the controller. I couldn't get this done. This could be better, but is a small gripe given how much I like my drone : )

In case your taking suggestions, here's my list of extra things:
  • Controller2 to sim (DJIVirtual Flight) without goggles
  • Controller2 to DJI Fly app without goggles (let me fly it like I've seen others fly the Mini2 ... at least in 'N' and 'S' modes)
  • Things to practice chasing in flight-sim. (I’d like a downhill mountain bike on the hill and a wakeboarder on the lake in the "Factory" level. My main use for this drone is to try and get movies of action sports, I'd like a safe way to practice getting very dificult shots in 'M' mode)
  • A better cover for the goggles. The goggle's foam cover contacts my face on 2 points (nose and forehead). It's not about light leakage for me, it's about not having the entire weight of the goggles resting on my big nordic nose bridge.
  • Adding a 2nd drone. I think it'd be cool to add in another drone to use with my existing controller and goggles. Maybe a small one like the mini 2, but with 'M' mode. Or maybe a more durable carbon-fiber racing drone (something meant to be crashed and repaired).
  • Floats. I'm getting fantastic wakeboard shots, but I'm terrified it'll go down to the bottom of the 150' deep lake. I believe DJI Care needs a physical unit to return and I wont have it. I don't need floats for water landings. I need floats for water crashes. Just enough to where I can pick it up and ship it back to DJI Care if needed.
  • A toggleable artificial horizon / attitude indicator in HUD (maybe I'd use this, maybe not)

2021-7-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Peccator. Good day and thank you for sharing these wonderful positive feedback for DJI and for the DJI FPV. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again, thank you for your valued support and keep flying.
2021-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules