1015 16 2021-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have problems with a green dot showing in the pictures or videos when the sun is present on the frame, mostly in the center. I have another 2 persons reporting the same issue.
Looks like is a problem with the coating from the lens. is anybody having the same issue?

Check in this video the minute 1:21 to show the problem. also, check this picture.  

1637086347255.png
2021-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Green spot never seen this before very strange. Nice zooming on the chopper.
2021-11-16
Use props
fans24813cfd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5913222 ft
United States

It looks like a weak lens flare or reflection of the sun (not a bad pixel or set of pixels).  Notice how it moves as you pan.  Same motion as a lens flare. Any dust on your lens? Might just show up at perfect angle to bright light source.
2021-11-16
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans24813cfd Posted at 11-16 11:10
It looks like a weak lens flare or reflection of the sun (not a bad pixel or set of pixels).  Notice how it moves as you pan.  Same motion as a lens flare. Any dust on your lens? Might just show up at perfect angle to bright light source.

The lens is clean. I have 3 more persons reporting the same thing.
I open a case with DJI and they are asking to return the drone for an exchange. But I am going to wait to see what is the real problem. I guess is a lens coating issue.
2021-11-16
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

This is perfectly normal lens flare. Nothing to do with dust, the colour does come from the properties of the internal lens coatings, but it's not a defect. It's just what you get with multi element optics. Light basically bounces around between the faces of the elements.

Try this, What is Lens Flare?
2021-11-16
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic 2 Pro does not make that or my Mavic Air 2.
2021-11-16
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

That doesn't surprise me a great deal. Lens flares are more of an issue as lenses get larger. It's only an issue pointing into the sun and is why photographers and cinematographers use lens hoods. If I needed to shoot into the sun and avoid flare, I'd be looking into getting or design/printing a "brim" shade for the camera. I suspect if it's a frequently disliked feature of the new camera, the aftermarket will step up.

The most important piece of information I'm trying to impart to you is that it is most likely, given the predictable appearance of that lens flare that any Mavic 3 would show exactly the same flare given the same conditions, so getting a replacement would unfortunately be of no value.

Hope that helps. Peace
2021-11-16
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It looks like you have been luck with your Mavic 2 Pro, others have had issues, and worked out solutions...

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=198228
2021-11-16
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 11-16 11:58
That doesn't surprise me a great deal. Lens flares are more of an issue as lenses get larger. It's only an issue pointing into the sun and is why photographers and cinematographers use lens hoods. If I needed to shoot into the sun and avoid flare, I'd be looking into getting or design/printing a "brim" shade for the camera. I suspect if it's a frequently disliked feature of the new camera, the aftermarket will step up.

The most important piece of information I'm trying to impart to you is that it is most likely, given the predictable appearance of that lens flare that any Mavic 3 would show exactly the same flare given the same conditions, so getting a replacement would unfortunately be of no value.

That is why I want to wait before sending the drone. I suspect is a problem that the only way to resolve is changing the lens design or an aftermarket thing.  
Thanks for your help !!!
2021-11-16
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicodema Posted at 11-16 12:00
It looks like you have been luck with your Mavic 2 Pro, others have had issues, and worked out solutions...

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=198228

Thanks for this info. I guess it is what it is.
2021-11-16
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

No worries. I'd hate to see you waste a bunch of time and effort and get no improvement. I hope the weather over there stays great for flying and you get some really stellar footage. Take care.
2021-11-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ZeuS-FL Posted at 11-16 12:33
That is why I want to wait before sending the drone. I suspect is a problem that the only way to resolve is changing the lens design or an aftermarket thing.  
Thanks for your help !!!

My Mavic 2 Pro does not make that or my Mavic Air 2.
That's because the other drones have different lenses with a different flare pattern.
There's nothing wrong with your lens.
The problem is that you are pointing the lens at the sun and that's just what happens with this lens.
Any camera lens will flare when you point it at the sun.

2021-11-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nicodema Posted at 11-16 11:58
That doesn't surprise me a great deal. Lens flares are more of an issue as lenses get larger. It's only an issue pointing into the sun and is why photographers and cinematographers use lens hoods. If I needed to shoot into the sun and avoid flare, I'd be looking into getting or design/printing a "brim" shade for the camera. I suspect if it's a frequently disliked feature of the new camera, the aftermarket will step up.

I'd be looking into getting or design/printing a "brim" shade for the camera.
A lens hood won't make a shred of difference when he's got the lens looking straight at the sun.
2021-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is the internal reflection of the sun hitting something shiny inside.
2021-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My iPhone (and my previous iPhones) have this too.
It's hard to make a lens system that does not have this.
2021-11-17
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-16 19:17
I'd be looking into getting or design/printing a "brim" shade for the camera.
A lens hood won't make a shred of difference when he's got the lens looking straight at the sun.

Very true. If the sun is in the frame, a hood can't do it's job, since you've already "let it in".  That was more of a general "If... then...", for if you get flare when the sun is just out of shot.

Since we're not seeing lots of shots with unexpected flare with the sun out of frame, then I'm guessing that the camera is actually pretty well shaded in the housing, just slightly more noticeable flare when the sun is in frame.
Like you said mate.
2021-11-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello, Glare is a kind of lens optical physical phenomenon, which will appear when the lens is being emitted directly by the light source at a certain angle in certain scenarios and is unavoidable. This may be able to optimize by removing the lens protector. If possible, you can adjust the shooting position and angle to avoid the phenomenon. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
2021-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules