Please give us an option for 16:9 photos!
3847 17 2021-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KostasVls
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3137395 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EDIT: This is thankfully already supported, see below. Sorry for the ..noise
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give us an option for 16:9 photos! Just a simple software crop. The Phantom 4 and the Mini both support this (possibly all the way to Air 2S?), so why not the Mavic 3?

No, I don't care about 'wasting what the sensor can do', and all that blah blah. All that matters to me is where the photos will be displayed, and that's NOT on a 4:3 monitor (who even has one!?), or on expensive glossy printed paper, or anything else! 16:9 aspect ratio for photos is simply a must, same as it is for video.

I'd also welcome options for even wider aspect ratios, but perhaps the upcoming panorama feature will cover that scenario.

I repeat: I'm only asking for an option, so there is nothing to lose.

Please DJI Why do we have to beg to get some basic functionality back?

Thanks

2021-11-20
Use props
CGPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is an option for 16:9 stills under camera in the DJI fly app. I would like to see them add 3x2.
2021-11-20
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand. You have that option already... It's right there in the camera settings, current choices are 4:3 or 16:9.
Am I missing something?
2021-11-20
Use props
KostasVls
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Argh, sorry, you are right! I expected the option to be down in the bottom right corner for some reason (too used to the P4 perhaps?). I swear I had fully explored every corner of the Fly app's UI, but it never occured to me to re-explore the menu while in a different mode... Now I wonder what else is hiding there (eg while in Explore mode, Slow motion mode, etc). I'll go check.

Thanks!
2021-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That's completely pointless.
The way you get 16:9 is by cropping off the top and bottom of the full-size image.
Why cut it off before you even take the photo?
It makes a lot more sense to shoot at maximum size and preserve your options for cropping later.
Then you can crop wherever you choose.
Why would you want to throw your options away before you even start?
2021-11-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-20 18:07
The way you get 16:9 is by cropping off the top and bottom of the full-size image.

That's all very true. But there is one small advantage to using the 16:9 setting. It usually allows a 16:9 (or higher) device screen to fill with the image instead of having larger black bars on each side, unless you have a 4:3 screen size. I use the 16:9 setting just so the image is larger on the screen while flying with the Galaxy S9 (18.5:9). For my ASUS tablet (4:3), I use 4:3.

4-3 setting.jpg
16-9 setting.jpg
2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Dji Susan can you please comment on the thread “Purple areas in image”

Apoligies for posting in this thread.
2021-11-21
Use props
KostasVls
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-20 18:07

Seeing it pre-cropped before you take the photo helps with framing. 16:9 is how it's going to be displayed at all times (same screen as the one I'll be watching the videos on), and I would never want to waste time doing anything other than an automatic crop of the top and bottom of the picture anyway.

I'm clearly not a professional. I like to come back from a trip, watch my videos and photos (all shot in automatic mode), and then..., simply plan the next trip , instead of spending hours/days cropping or colour grading. I understand and respect those that need to do these things, of course. You might say that the M3 is overkill for people like me, which would be fair... Still, all I was asking for was an option for 16:9. Which turns out is actually there . You can keep your 4:3 or 3:2.
2021-11-21
Use props
KostasVls
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 11-21 00:52
Hi there, your request has been noted and forwarded to our engineers. Hopefully, this ratio will be supported.

Hi Susan. 16:9 is actually supported - see the rest of this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Please ask your engineers to consider expanding the "Camera" page in the settings, so it displays both video and photo settings at the same time. It currently hides one or the other, based on whether you are in photo or video mode. Which is very confusing, causing people like me to miss the setting we are looking for, and then create unnecessary forum threads . Thanks.
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

As long as you get the best resolution (like the whole frame) you can always crop in post right?
It can even be done automatically with a simple batch job.

And BTW who uses 16:9 photo's?
All DSLR's I know shoot 3:2 .
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh wait, you mean other aspect ratio's
Sorry.
2021-11-21
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 06:40
As long as you get the best resolution (like the whole frame) you can always crop in post right?

Since the OP issue is resolved and we’re just talking ;)
I completely understand that 16:9 just uses central band of a censor, thus discarding potentially valuable top and bottom.
And yes, you can totally do it in post and in batch, probably with better results.
And yes, normally you wouldn’t even take a single frame, but do a grid pano instead to obtain a larger image, at which point the ratio of the individual frames become completely irrelevant.
But *sometimes* you just want to take a single nice looking frame for a quick reference/share, and IMHO a 16:9 frames normally look much more impressive on social media than 4:3.

Now, since I can’t even figure out the way to do a quick share from RC Pro, the whole discussion is purely academic, at least for yours truly ;)
2021-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 11-21 09:20
I completely understand that 16:9 just uses central band of a censor, thus discarding potentially valuable top and bottom.
And yes, you can totally do it in post and in batch, probably with better results.

Or it would be nice to frame and shoot 1 to 1 square if we had the option.
2021-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 06:40

Mine shoots more than 10 aspect ratios, and I would like to be able to frame a Square 1 to 1 ratio because sometimes you need to see it to know if its going to work. Yes using all the sensor and getting as much into the frame is best. But hoping its going to look ok as a square or 19x9 does not always work.
2021-11-21
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-21 09:25
Or it would be nice to frame and shoot 1 to 1 square if we had the option.

That too. But again, the censor itself is 4:3, so if we using it to the hilt, we gotta stay in 4:3. Anything else can be cropped out of it later.
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 11-21 09:33
Mine shoots more than 10 aspect ratios, and I would like to be able to frame a Square 1 to 1 ratio because sometimes you need to see it to know if its going to work. Yes using all the sensor and getting as much into the frame is best. But hoping its going to look ok as a square or 19x9 does not always work.

I guess we are spoiled by all the options we have.
In the 'good old days' I used my hands to see if a composition would work.
But that took ages.
And every shot was money, so you had to be careful that everything lined up before pressing that button.
2021-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DarthSLR Posted at 11-21 09:20

Hahahahahahaha.
So many options.
We would almost forget how it used to be done.
2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

hallmark007 Posted at 11-21 02:36
Hi Dji Susan can you please comment on the thread “Purple areas in image”

Hi hallmark007, thank you for your reminder, I had replied to that post.
2021-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules