Photo folders and names on SD card
4189 6 2021-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quaxo76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479386 ft

Italy

Hello, I've been using my drone for some photogrammetry work. This means covering an area while taking LOTS of straight-down pictures (as in, way more than one thousand).

When downloading the pictures to the PC using the SD card, I see that the drone makes several folders under DCIM on the SD card, named 100MEDIA, then 101MEDIA, 102MEDIA and so on. Inside each folder, the photos are stored as DJI_xxxx.JPG with xxxx being a number from 0001 to 0999.
But this means that in different folders, there are repeated filenames. And when I try to copy the pictures onto a single folder on my PC (because the project needs all pictures in one folder) there are conflicting names.
I know I can use a batch renamer to just add a date/time tag to the name, or something like that, but this is inconvenient.
Is it possible to have the drone just store all the pictures in a single folder, with unique filenames? Or even if it has to split them into several folders, is there a way to just have them have unique names? My phone just names them with a date/time tag, and it works very well, also for sorting them. Is it possible at all?

Thank you
Cristian

2021-12-10
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Christian,

FAT32, the format used by the drone for 32GB Sd cards or lower, should be capable of storing 268.173.300 files. So technically it should be possible to store at least 9999 files.

Unfortunatly as far as I know there's no option in the Fly app to set the amount of files stored in one directory.

Maybe DJI has another technical reason to do so.
2021-12-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've been using my drone for some photogrammetry work
How do use a Mini 2 for mapping?
Apart from the retarded way DJI doesn't allow continuous file index for their DJI Fly drones, there's no SDK to enable you to run mapping apps.

No, there's no way to change the filenaming for the Mini 2.
2021-12-11
Use props
Quaxo76
lvl.2

Italy

Labroides Posted at 12-11 01:37
How do use a Mini 2 for mapping?
Apart from the retarded way DJI doesn't allow continuous file index for their DJI Fly drones, there's no SDK to enable you to run mapping apps.

I simply set it to take a picture every 2 seconds, with the camera looking straight down. Of course I 'explore' the area first, to find out the height of obstcles, then fly at a safe altitude, flying a pattern while looking at the map. Then the images are processed on a PC using dedicated software.

2021-12-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Quaxo76 Posted at 12-11 06:22
I simply set it to take a picture every 2 seconds, with the camera looking straight down. Of course I 'explore' the area first, to find out the height of obstcles, then fly at a safe altitude, flying a pattern while looking at the map. Then the images are processed on a PC using dedicated software.

For good mapping you need a consistent overlap of 70% or more and to be able to fly a precise pattern to achieve ful coverage.
You'd find things a lot easier and the results would be much better if you used a drone that's supported by one of the dedicated mapping apps.
2021-12-11
Use props
Quaxo76
lvl.2

Italy

Labroides Posted at 12-11 13:10
For good mapping you need a consistent overlap of 70% or more and to be able to fly a precise pattern to achieve ful coverage.
You'd find things a lot easier and the results would be much better if you used a drone that's supported by one of the dedicated mapping apps.

I know, but this is the drone I have, it will have to do And I have to say, with the timed shots (one every 2 seconds) I get excellent overlap when flying at 30km/h at 70m agl. Like, every feature appears in at least four consecutive shots. As for flying a pattern, I don't find that hard, I just put the map full screen, and fly looking at the blue path on the map. Very effective. Of course I fly at an altitude where I know there are no obstacles in the whole pattern area...
I know it would be easier to use a drone with automatic patterning. But it would be less fun. And the drone would be bigger, and so less convenient, and with way more paperwork. And the results we get are excellent anyway...
2021-12-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Quaxo76 Posted at 12-11 17:37
I know, but this is the drone I have, it will have to do  And I have to say, with the timed shots (one every 2 seconds) I get excellent overlap when flying at 30km/h at 70m agl. Like, every feature appears in at least four consecutive shots. As for flying a pattern, I don't find that hard, I just put the map full screen, and fly looking at the blue path on the map. Very effective. Of course I fly at an altitude where I know there are no obstacles in the whole pattern area...
I know it would be easier to use a drone with automatic patterning. But it would be less fun. And the drone would be bigger, and so less convenient, and with way more paperwork. And the results we get are excellent anyway...

I could see that working for small sites up to a couple of acres, but being completely unworkable for bigger sites where hundreds of images are taken.
The convenience of having an app plan and fly the mission as well as acquiring the images is necessary with larger sites.
2021-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules