2128 8 2022-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mediapal.de
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197851 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Not sure wether I unserstand the concept of USB mode.

The name however suggests an easy way to access to the built in SSD drive in order to download your footage very quickly.

But in orer to do so I have to turn on the mavic which causes the whole bootup procedure to happen with all the bell and whistles like motor checks, gimbal reset and so forth.

Because I'm lazy I do that with the harness mounted on the mavic, probably not healthy.

So what do you think about this guys, how do you handle the USB mode?
2022-5-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Don't think it's a good idea mediapal. Not only you don't gain anything from doing this, but you are also most likely overloading the gimbal motor, which might eventually just burn out on you breaking your whole done. I always remove the gimbal cover and also unfold the drone completely as with Mavic 3 design the bottom legs rub against the gimbal, restricting its movement. I think it's best to un-holster the drone and also unfold  it if you need to power it on for any reason, i.e. for usb transfer.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-5-29
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well I have to agree with Mzp on that I don’t think it’s a good idea to not take off the gimbal protector on start up. But with your second question as to what our experience over USB mode has been I actually  don’t have a problem with it at all. Granted, I don’t really use USB mode all that often as whenever I shoot video I tend to stick to 4k and so quick transfer is really practical for me to just simple download it to my phone and the quality comes out as it would through using USB and same goes with taking pictures but I only use USB whenever I shoot in 5.1k as I can’t really only view that on my iMac.
2022-5-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 5-29 10:40
Well I have to agree with Mzp on that I don’t think it’s a good idea to not take off the gimbal protector on start up. But with your second question as to what our experience over USB mode has been I actually  don’t have a problem with it at all. Granted, I don’t really use USB mode all that often as whenever I shoot video I tend to stick to 4k and so quick transfer is really practical for me to just simple download it to my phone and the quality comes out as it would through using USB and same goes with taking pictures but I only use USB whenever I shoot in 5.1k as I can’t really only view that on my iMac.

I actually used to record on micro SD card before, but recently switched to recording to internal SSD on Mavic 3 Cine. To me, one advantage is that the whole footage gets saved as one large file. Also I switched to using ProRes and find it less noisy than D-log. I used to get more noise in the sky after transforming D-log H.265 to HLG. I seems to get less noise if I shoot in ProRes and then transforming to HLG in post. Since I switched to using internal storage, I started using USB transfer mode and it works really well for me, no issues at all. I get about 600 MB / s transfer speed, but I am using my own USB-C cable as DJI one is too short for me.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-5-29
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 5-29 18:35
I actually used to record on micro SD card before, but recently switched to recording to internal SSD on Mavic 3 Cine. To me, one advantage is that the whole footage gets saved as one large file. Also I switched to using ProRes and find it less noisy than D-log. I used to get more noise in the sky after transforming D-log H.265 to HLG. I seems to get less noise if I shoot in ProRes and then transforming to HLG in post. Since I switched to using internal storage, I started using USB transfer mode and it works really well for me, no issues at all. I get about 600 MB / s transfer speed, but I am using my own USB-C cable as DJI one is too short for me.

Thanks, Mike.

I agree on D-log being to noisy, only a few days ago did I actually try D-log but when I compared it to regular footage I could see a difference in noise so I just stick with that but as for me I wish I could shoot in ProRes but I didn’t spring for the Cine version.
2022-5-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mediapal.de. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For reference The DJI Mavic 3 Cine supports USB mode, enabling pilots to copy footage when the battery level of the DJI drone is low. Enable USB mode, power on the drone, and connect to a PC to use USB Mode. During this time, the internal storage of the DJI drone can be accessed but the microSD card can not. Restart the DJI drone and disable the USB mode in the DJI Fly application to exit USB mode. USB mode will be enabled once again when the DJI drone is restarted via the DJI Assistant 2. Just a reminder that in USB mode, the DJI drone will disconnect from the remote controller, the frame arm light will turn off, and the fan inside the DJI drone will stop. Thank you.
2022-5-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 5-29 21:25
I agree on D-log being to noisy, only a few days ago did I actually try D-log but when I compared it to regular footage I could see a difference in noise so I just stick with that but as for me I wish I could shoot in ProRes but I didn’t spring for the Cine version.

Hey Fred,

Sorry I actually meant that I still shoot in D-log but in ProRes. It seems to be cleaner / less noise for me when doing that. I need D-Log because it's 10 bit and I use it to transform to HLG 10 bit HDR. When I shoot in Normal 8 bit (Micro-SD) I get banding if I transform it to HLG 10 bit HDR. I have an interesting experience with Normal ?10? ?bit? ProRes, I think it might be 10 bit when doing Normal ProRes, but when I transform it to HLG 10 bit HDR, I don't seem to get the deep shadows and bright vivid highlights that I get from using D-log to HLG 10 bit HDR, but I don't seem to get banding though.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-5-30
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oh sorry, my mistake for misunderstanding what you said.
2022-5-30
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Fred Fred Fred Posted at 5-30 06:44
Oh sorry, my mistake for misunderstanding what you said.

Nw Fred, sorry I think I did not explain myself correctly.
2022-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules