2033 43 2022-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just pulled my Mini 3 Pro out of its case to do the 1/July/22 update.
What was most concerning is I fully charged all 3 batteries prior to the last update just in case it required a battery update.

The 2 that were left in the charge case discharged down after the 9 days to 30%

The one I left in the drone was still 100% I guess I can kiss that battery off now. It will be damaged.

The new update does update the FW on the batteries. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Now off to buy a replacement, Oh thats right there arnt any at the moment. Expletives...........  

2022-7-2
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

deleted due to misreading post
2022-7-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6262736 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How do you conclude that the battery left in the drone might be damaged?  Have you tried a flight with it perhaps?  It may be OK and discharge in the normal way during use. In which case it should be possible to recharge it.
2022-7-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The one I left in the drone was still 100% I guess I can kiss that battery off now. It will be damaged.

So a battery that was left in the drone for 9 days hadn't discharged and you guess that it's wrecked?
Don't be such a  princess.
It's probably fine.
Do a little testing before you write it off.
2022-7-2
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

The battery is fine. New batteries can handle 9 days at full charge easily. Just don't do it all the time. I wouldn't leave them fully charged for longer periodes of time when they get older and the inner resistance rises.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 7-2 22:28
How do you conclude that the battery left in the drone might be damaged?  Have you tried a flight with it perhaps?  It may be OK and discharge in the normal way during use. In which case it should be possible to recharge it.

You didn't read or understand the post.

All batteries were charged at the same time.

The ones in the charger case discharged over the 9 days.

The one in the drone was still 100%. It will be damaged as it sat at 100% for over a month.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-2 22:31
The one I left in the drone was still 100% I guess I can kiss that battery off now. It will be damaged.
So a battery that was left in the drone for 9 days hadn't discharged and you guess that it's wrecked?

Read the post and also what you copied.

All the batteries charged at the same time.

2 of the 3 Discharged after the 9 Days. The one in the drone was at 100% for over a month.

And don't say you can leave a lipo at 100% for a month. You cant.

You cant leave it for 9 days at 100%

Read and Learn.

DJi drop the charge on the batteries to 90-95% after 24 Hours then slowly reduce them down to 30% over the 9 day period.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Falcoc Posted at 7-2 22:41
The battery is fine. New batteries can handle 9 days at full charge easily. Just don't it all the time. I wouldn't leave them fully charged for longer periodes of time when they get older and the inner resistance rises.

That is not correct. I will find a decent "how to look after lipos" and post here.

Batteries left at 100% have a high possibility to vent and start a fire.
2022-7-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-2 22:53
You didn't read or understand the post.

All batteries were charged at the same time.

I understood just fine.
It doesn't follow that the battery is ruined.
Min One batteries for example stay at 100% for ages withjout discharging, and they are fine.
If you haven't tried a flight with that one you won't know if it's a dud or not.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 7-2 22:28

The battery is damaged. Read the post below about the DJI discharge process.

This battery will have at least one damed cell. To fly the drone the damaged cell will collapse.. All cells are in series. This results in 0V and a sudden fall from the sky. The reason a lot of drones are lost.  
2022-7-2
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
United States

bjr981s Posted at 7-2 22:59
That is not correct. I will find a decent "how to look after lipos" and post here.

Batteries left at 100% have a high possibility to vent and start a fire.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Throw it away if you believe it's shot and move on. No need to come on here whining around. If your vent and fire story was true, there'd be constantly homes burning down. How many folks who know nothing about these batteries leave their cell phones, laptops, Teslas and god what else on the charger for days and even months? I have been using hundreds of RC lipos and lions since the dawn of them in the early 2000's. Never had one vent and start a fire.
Yes, a physically damaged or a battery with funky internal wiring and connections can cause a fire. But that's exetemely rare.
2022-7-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-2 23:02
The battery is damaged. Read the post below about the DJI discharge process.

This battery will have at east one damed cell. To fly the drone the damaged cell will collapse.. All cells are in series. This results in 0V and a sudden fall from the sky. The reason a lot of drones are lost.

You really are creating a storm in a teacup.
You think a battery that is showing 100% charge won';t fly the drone?
If you don't want it. chuck it away.
Or better still - I'll have it.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Falcoc Posted at 7-2 23:06

You have no clue what you are talking about. Throw it away if you believe it's shot and move on. No need to come on here whining around. If your vent and fire story was true, there'd be constantly homes burning down. How many folks who know nothing about these batteries leave their cell phones, laptops, Teslas and god what else on the charger for days and even months? I have been using hundreds of RC lipos and lions since the dawn of them in the early 2000's. Never had one vent and start a fire.

You see you are the one that knows nothing. All the batteries that you are describing are Lithium Ion Batteries. They can be left fully charged and drained to zero and recharged. Ni Issues

These batteries are lithium polymer batteries.  and they have brought down at least 2 aircraft in cargo holds. So learn something. LiPos are used in Drones as they are extremely volatile and require safe handling. Thats how drones can have such long flight times.

2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 7-2 23:29
You really are creating a storm in a teacup.
You think a battery that is showing 100% charge won';t fly the drone?
If you don't want it. chuck it away.

Look a LiPo (Try looking up LiPo batteries with Google) cannot be left fully charged they can also not be fully discharged. It damages them. The can only survive any length of time at Storage Charge. That is the nominal voltage of the LiPo Cell. 3.7V

A Lipo left at 100% charge for a month is toast.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Falcoc Posted at 7-2 23:06

You have no clue what you are talking about. Throw it away if you believe it's shot and move on. No need to come on here whining around. If your vent and fire story was true, there'd be constantly homes burning down. How many folks who know nothing about these batteries leave their cell phones, laptops, Teslas and god what else on the charger for days and even months? I have been using hundreds of RC lipos and lions since the dawn of them in the early 2000's. Never had one vent and start a fire.

I see a typical American.

Try looking at this and learn about LiPos.

https://www.thedronegirl.com/2015/02/07/lipo-battery/
2022-7-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-2 23:45
Look a LiPo (Try looking up LiPo batteries with Google) cannot be left fully charged they can also not be fully discharged. It damages them. The can only survive any length of time at Storage Charge. That is the nominal voltage of the LiPo Cell. 3.7V

Have it your way.
2022-7-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Its not about my way. I posted this here so there would not have their batteries damaged asa mine has.
2022-7-2
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
United States

bjr981s Posted at 7-2 23:41
You see you are the one that knows nothing. All the batteries that you are describing are Lithium Ion Batteries. They can be left fully charged and drained to zero and recharged. Ni Issues

These batteries are lithium polymer batteries.  and they have brought down at least 2 aircraft in cargo holds. So learn something. LiPos are used in Drones as they are extremely volatile and require safe handling. Thats how drones can have such long flight times.

The Mini 1 and other consumer drones use lion batteries. Lion batteries don't like a full charge for longer periods of time either. And no, lions cannot be drained to zero. 2.5V is absolute minimum for lion cells. Lipos can be drained to 3.3V but I wouldn't drain both types that low on every use because it will reduce their lifespan. Lion cells, if damaged or overcharged to above 4.3V per cell can also cause a fire.
2022-7-3
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Falcoc Posted at 7-3 00:00
The Mini 1 and other consumer drones use lion batteries. Lion batteries don't like a full charge for longer periods of time either. And no, lions cannot be drained to zero. 2.5V is absolute minimum for lion cells. Lipos can be drained to 3.3V but I wouldn't drain both types that low on every use because it will reduce their lifespan. Lion cells, if damaged or overcharged to above 4.3V per cell can also cause a fire.

Yes you are correct. The Mini and the Ryze Tello use LiOns but they are the only ones I know. The rest of the small drones I have all use LiPos right down to single cell 180mah for the 911 Fixed pitch heli.

Yes 3.3V is the minimum for a LiPo cell but with my Electric model Planes and Ducted Fan Jets, we at the club never fly them below 3.6V It shortens the life and the number of cycles that can be performed.

For my large scale Multi engine Prop and Turbine jets I use LiFe batteries they are vary stable and require little maintenance.

My Heli Collection that I use for my Padawan's Im trying to get youngsters interest in RC.

And my Biggest Twin Turbine as it was constructed at the factory.

Cheers

2022-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 7-2 23:45
Look a LiPo (Try looking up LiPo batteries with Google) cannot be left fully charged they can also not be fully discharged. It damages them. The can only survive any length of time at Storage Charge. That is the nominal voltage of the LiPo Cell. 3.7V

Where was there anything in your initial post to say that the battery was left for a month?

And despite your usual aggressive remonstrations, I'd still recommend testing before deciding the battery is toast.
Of course you'll ignore that because you always know better than anyone else on the planet.
You are so predictaby arrogant and surprising ignorant on some aspects of droning.

2022-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 7-3 00:40
Yes you are correct. The Mini and the Ryze Tello use LiOns but they are the only ones I know. The rest of the small drones I have all use LiPos right down to single cell 180mah for the 911 Fixed pitch heli.

Yes 3.3V is the minimum for a LiPo cell but with my Electric model Planes and Ducted Fan Jets, we at the club never fly them below 3.6V It shortens the life and the number of cycles that can be performed.

Wonderful .. you have some impressive r/c craft and drive a porsche and mercedes, ergo you must know all there is to know.
That's rather faulty logic.
2022-7-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would be more concerned about the 2 that were discharged to 30%, that's not right, i thought its meant to be about 70%

The one that didn't discharge at all might need updating, turn it all on and go to the firmware page and refresh it to see what happens?
2022-7-3
Use props
Meuhbat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225210 ft
France

Do we know if DJI 100% = real 100% of the battery ? maybe they keep a safety margin and don't charge to the max voltage ?
2022-7-3
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Meuhbat Posted at 7-3 05:24
Do we know if DJI 100% = real 100% of the battery ? maybe they keep a safety margin and don't charge to the max voltage ?

DJI charge LiP0s to 4.2 volts per cell. Max Charge. They charge LiHvs to 4.4V. LiHV are high voltage LiPos found in the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom plus some others.

I have tested the battery in Question and the 2nd cell is damaged. (Reading .03V per cell lower after balancing) I am, now determining the degree of damage. It may just go into fault state but I am going to cycle a couple of times to determine the degree of damage if the charger will let me.

2022-7-3
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

This post was exploding in aggressive things....

But still, one question remains: WHY the battery in drone was not discharging? The discharging should work even without FW update, as this are Smart batteries that from factory should have implemented the discharge option....

I admit I have not checked my batteries, I load them 1 day before take-off and not sooner, use up to 25% then put next battery, if is raining I just use them next day....so I cannot say I have seen how discharge works on a battery in a MINI 3 drone and not on charger....
2022-7-3
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 7-3 05:17

I would be more concerned about the 2 that were discharged to 30%, that's not right, i thought its meant to be about 70%

No 30% is the end state. And it is a bit low but should be higher. But that is the international transport level for LiPo batteries for shipping.

You need to charge your DJI batteries every 3 months as the circuitry of the "Smart" will slowly deplete the battery down to zero.

Next time you go to charge your batteries check the battery level it will show 2 lights with a 3rd either on or blinking. According to this it means the battery has 50>=75 % remaining. It lies.

Connect it to the charger and it will have 1 light on and one blinking. The charger is saying 25<50%

Roughly 30% Charge.
2022-7-4
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-3 02:24
Where was there anything in your initial post to say that the battery was left for a month?

What was most concerning is I fully charged all 3 batteries prior to the last update just in case it required a battery update.

See above. Thats the first update of the Mini 3. i.e. When it arrived. That was oh a little while ago. Why don't you work it out?
It didnt require a battery update, so all batteries were at 100%

The new update does update the FW on the batteries. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Now off to buy a replacement, Oh thats right there arnt any at the moment. Expletives...........  

2022-7-4
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geo_Drone Posted at 7-3 23:30
This post was exploding in aggressive things....

But still, one question remains: WHY the battery in drone was not discharging? The discharging should work even without FW update, as this are Smart batteries that from factory should have implemented the discharge option....

Thank you.

This is the reason I started this thread. To advise people that the battery would not go through its scheduled drain if left in the drone. A similar problem existed with the original Mini. That was subsequently fixed. This last update did require a battery Firmware upgrade so maybe to fix this issue. I will use the same battery that is damaged to test. I will advise.
2022-7-4
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-3 02:26
Wonderful .. you have some impressive r/c craft and drive a porsche and mercedes, ergo you must know all there is to know.
That's rather faulty logic.

So what? Are you stalking me now.

I drive a Mercedes, I race a Porsche, and I cruise in my Motor-yacht. What has that got to do with you.....
You keep chasing me across this site being quite rude about everything I say.

What is your problem? Jealousy?

My wife and I started out in marriage with $400 and an old beat up Ford Cortina. We earned our wealth as we are both extremely bright people.

If I am rude to you it's because I do not suffer fools lightly.

Go find someone else to troll.

Please........
2022-7-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-4 01:26
No 30% is the end state. And it is a bit low but should be higher. But that is the international transport level for LiPo batteries for shipping.

You need to charge your DJI batteries every 3 months as the circuitry of the "Smart" will slowly deplete the battery down to zero.

Not sure where youre getting your figures but this does not apply to my Mini 2. The Mini 2 1st drops to 94 or 96% after about 24 hours,  and then drops to 70% after 9 days and stays there (for mine), been like this for the last year and still has its original batteries and all are working fine.

To be fair, it does get charged at least once every 2 weeks, so I'm not sure how much charge will be left in it after 2 or 3 months of no usage.

The Phantom 4 Pro drops to 3rd flashing, prob longest its ben left was around 2 months, then i normally recharge and let it drop off again, done that since owning the P4P, 3 or 4 years now, still has its original battery, that's my goto battery, its always used 1st, i should rotate them but i dont lol

2022-7-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 7-4 01:31

See above. Thats the first update of the Mini 3. i.e. When it arrived. That was oh a little while ago. Why don't you work it out?

Why don't you work it out?
Of course
When you don't put the relevant information in your post and readers can't make sense of it, it's obviously their fault?
2022-7-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 7-4 01:44
So what? Are you stalking me now.

I drive a Mercedes, I race a Porsche, and I cruise in my Motor-yacht. What has that got to do with you.....

What is your problem? Jealousy?
Not at all.
I thought your extravagant display of high level r/c planes had nothing at all to do with the post you were responding to.
Otherwise it was just responding to the aggressive and dismissive way you've always responded to my posts.

2022-7-4
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 7-4 03:14
Not sure where youre getting your figures but this does not apply to my Mini 2. The Mini 2 1st drops to 94 or 96% after about 24 hours,  and then drops to 70% after 9 days and stays there (for mine), been like this for the last year and still has its original batteries and all are working fine.

To be fair, it does get charged at least once every 2 weeks, so I'm not sure how much charge will be left in it after 2 or 3 months of no usage.

According to 33#, our perceived 70% after 9 days is actually 30%
2022-7-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 7-4 05:54
According to 33#, our perceived 70% after 9 days is actually 30%

I know but my batteries are only 70% so where this 30% from, don't get it?
2022-7-4
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Wow, so many expensiv toys and so less technical understanding and knowledge.
And trying to convince people with and insisting on urban legends doesn't help either.
I am flying drones  with Lipo batteries since 2009 and still own and fly them and some of them have cell drift of nearly 1V.
This doesn't mean they are damaged. ÖK, the capacity of them has dropped to 75% over the years, but that's all. So a drift of 0.3V is nothing to worry about.
Storing a full charged Lipo for around 3 month is no problem if stored according to Lipo specs. If they do not start to swell, the only issue you will have is a shorter lifetime over some years.
Max. 30% international transportation level have been defined for security reasons to reduce the energy level in case of an accident and full pallet is transported.
This is why DJi dellvers the inteligent flight batteries in a low charged state and additionally in hybernation mode so that they will not be drained to 0 by it's circuit if
laying in a shop shelf for a long time and if stored at home for a long, long time the batteries will go into hybernation mode again.
3.3V to 4.2V is the most safest operating range of  a Lipo, but if you charge them to 4.5V or drain to 2.8V (not too often) will only reduce the lifetime.

Over all, if you have an issue with the behavior of your DJI batteries, just simply open a case at DJI and ask for a replacement.
2022-7-4
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 7-4 03:14

To be fair, it does get charged at least once every 2 weeks, so I'm not sure how much charge will be left in it after 2 or 3 months of no usage.

If you press the power on button to get charge level it will look like its between 50 and 75%

However if you turn it on it will drop the number of lights to 50% or below.

If you put the battery in the charger the 1st light will be on and then second flashing saying its more than 25% and less that 50% as it starts charging.

I got this figures by measuring my DJI batteries every 3 months as I recharge them all as per the DJI recommendations.

2022-7-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

MySky Posted at 7-4 09:02
Wow, so many expensiv toys and so less technical understanding and knowledge.
And trying to convince people with and insisting on urban legends doesn't help either.
I am flying drones  with Lipo batteries since 2009 and still own and fly them and some of them have cell drift of nearly 1V.

so less technical understanding and knowledge. In your case.

Wrong again. DJI Smart batteries will not tolerate a 1V drift in a Cell. You talk rubbish.

The DJI battery will show Faulty battery after charging and displaying a single LED and if mounted in the drone it will not let you fly.

You are obviously talking about something else. Not DJI Smart Batteries. Everything else that you stated is correct. Except the insult in the first line.

2022-7-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-5 04:04
If you press the power on button to get charge level it will look like its between 50 and 75%

However if you turn it on it will drop the number of lights to 50% or below.

I have not seen this behaviour before, to be fair, i do not pay that much attention, I used it today and it prob had about 90%, and it started charging at all 4 lights flashing...
2022-7-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 7-5 07:30
I have not seen this behaviour before, to be fair, i do not pay that much attention, I used it today and it prob had about 90%, and it started charging at all 4 lights flashing...

Check when you have had the battery in storage for a month and you will see the behaviour.

Cheers
2022-7-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-5 22:09
Check when you have had the battery in storage for a month and you will see the behaviour.

Cheers

That will never happen, i fly far too often for that... to be fair, you didn't give a timeframe, your OP said after the 9 days it hit 30% (paraphrasing) hence why i have been churning out what i have.....
2022-7-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules