1090 20 2022-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

RE: Range test after the latest FW updated

First as for the signal/transmission the FCC stayed put and did NOT go back to CE after HP updated

My flying field has several baseball filelds surrounded by threes at about 15-20 meter high plus several lakes and small water bodies.
It was cloudy and about 10 mph wind at 78F.

At first I set the altitude at 59 meters and going north until the signal turned yellow and it was about 600 meters.
Then I increases the attitide to about 82 meters and it went up to 733 mters before the signal turned yellow.
I flew with the wifi off by default and hold the RC straight up at all time.
I didn't go any farther since I noticed the video lagging and sluggish pitching forward which I was tols perhaps the camera was fooled by the bright sun thus the sytem activated the anti-collision.
I am not positive about that comment because I did pointed the camera down as well as raised the attitde to no avail.

Signal@619m-Y.jpg
Signal@82-733m.jpg
2022-7-7
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Shouldn't you hold the RC horizontally and pointing towards the drone rather than "straight up"?
2022-7-7
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you turn on you attitude indicator instead of map in left bottom there is a blue/green dot with a thingy on it to assist you pointing your remote in right direction...
2022-7-7
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
United States

nosnoop Posted at 7-7 13:42
Shouldn't you hold the RC horizontally and pointing towards the drone rather than "straight up"?

I already tried that because the manual suggestion too.
While the signal was in yellow, I pointed the RC toward the Mini 3 and no changes.
But when I hold the RC straight up, the yellow turned white.

Try this yourself and see which is better.
2022-7-7
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-7 13:59
If you turn on you attitude indicator instead of map in left bottom there is a blue/green dot with a thingy on it to assist you pointing your remote in right direction...

Will do next time out but the way I flew today it just straight forward.
Thanks
2022-7-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tanasit Posted at 7-7 16:26
While the signal was in yellow, I pointed the RC toward the Mini 3 and no changes.

That makes no sense, the antenna is in the top of the RC as per the icons on the top of the RC, these have to be pointed at the drone as per all of DJI's drones, consumer drones at least. It probably turned white because A, you ain't that far from the drone and B, you probably caught a good horizontal alignment. There is no way you can control the ISS, its too far for one and that's all its good for when pointing the controller straight up...

...plus, I cannot take a signal test or show how good or bad it is seriously unless the radar is turned on so we can see, we have no clue how the horizontal alignment is, granted you may be somewhere in the ballpark of an ok alignment but it needs to be spot on so we need to see the radar next time, please.

I really want to buy this model, so I really need to know that I can rely on it but losing signal as much as it did at that distance keeps my money in my pocket

You're in FCC mode, at that distance it should be a 100% full signal
2022-7-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So your pointing the controller at the sky not the drone and. its better?
2022-7-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

That really makes no sense.  Since the antenna is in the top of the RC it should, by logic, be pointed at the drone and not skyward.  Seems most abnormal.
2022-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-7 20:49
That makes no sense, the antenna is in the top of the RC as per the icons on the top of the RC, these have to be pointed at the drone as per all of DJI's drones, consumer drones at least. It probably turned white because A, you ain't that far from the drone and B, you probably caught a good horizontal alignment. There is no way you can control the ISS, its too far for one and that's all its good for when pointing the controller straight up...

...plus, I cannot take a signal test or show how good or bad it is seriously unless the radar is turned on so we can see, we have no clue how the horizontal alignment is, granted you may be somewhere in the ballpark of an ok alignment but it needs to be spot on so we need to see the radar next time, please.

I’ve just been out and tried it.   When you first change orientation for about 5-10 seconds the signal appears worse then it gets better.   Flew 2500ft further than my mini2 can manage, no disconnect I actually bottled it and flew back as I was concerned about having enough battery on the return into wind.

Tried the technique on my second battery and had the same behaviour.
2022-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-8 05:27
That really makes no sense.  Since the antenna is in the top of the RC it should, by logic, be pointed at the drone and not skyward.  Seems most abnormal.

Just tried it and I’m amazed.   Got 2500ft more and I bottled it.
2022-7-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, something has clearly been rectified
2022-7-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-8 07:46

So are you saying it was way better with the RC pointing to the heavens
2022-7-8
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-8 22:23

Appealing for a heavenly intervention?
2022-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-8 22:23

Yes,   It doesn't make any sense,    I tried it this morning in a high interference area and I didnt notice any real difference.  
2022-7-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-8 07:46

That's truly abnormal based on all other DJI controllers but really glad to hear it worked.  
2022-7-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-9 03:40
That's truly abnormal based on all other DJI controllers but really glad to hear it worked.

I tried it in a high wifi area and it made no benefit to me,   but useful to try in rural areas.  
2022-7-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-9 23:00
I tried it in a high wifi area and it made no benefit to me,   but useful to try in rural areas.

I gave it a quick try yesterday morning before I had to head out for the dive trip and could see no benefit in it.  Going to try it in a different location tomorrow.  
2022-7-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Up and Pointed towards should generate the same result.

Both have the antenna at the correct 90 degrees to the drone.

Up may be superior depending on the mounting of the antenna in the drone and the material between the antenna and the case exit.
2022-7-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-10 07:03
I gave it a quick try yesterday morning before I had to head out for the dive trip and could see no benefit in it.  Going to try it in a different location tomorrow.

Until the bars start to drop off you don't really see a difference.  
2022-7-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-10 22:41
Until the bars start to drop off you don't really see a difference.

Agree, and that is exactly what I observed on a super short flight this AM.
2022-7-11
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depending on the antenna shape, it may not be omni direction and the strongest signal may not originate from the top but rather from the side which is why you set the antenna straight up rather than pointing at the drone on the RC-N1. Just watched the video of the RC tear down and give the shape of the antenna, the strongest signal path to the drone is by holding the RC unit vetical or at a 90 degree angle to the drone.
2022-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules