DJI Fly isn't responding!
1330 8 2022-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans684baa3e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

As I was testing the various functions of the Mini 3, I got this error message on the RC screen.
DJI Flying isn't responding.
- Close app
- Wait

At that point the joystick are still in control BUT the RC screen froze. So I walked with the Mini 3 and flew slowly to the side. With the tall grass, I decide to hand catch which I've done before numerous times. However this time, once I caught it the motors spun very fast!!! Lucky me I caught it from behind so I pree the battery release button and pulled the pack out to stop the Mini 3 from ??? The weather was about 80F but I could feel the heat off the screen so I thought may be the RC screen was overheated thus stopped working.

Also earlier while I was testing the tracking features, the RC screen froze up but the stick still worked except NO YAW control! I believe it was stuck in the tracking mode so I walked and led the way to where I planned to land.

This was the first time I positioned myself in the open field with no shade.

BTW, the RH button did NOT work either and I forgot the stick movement for manual landing too.

I later watch the screen recoding and saw the warning "adjusting aircraft position" that has to happened while I was hand catching and it tried to go up.

IMG_9150.jpg
IMG_9152.jpg
2022-7-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I believe there is a new update which fixes these crashes.
2022-7-15
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you hand catch and the drone spins fast just hold it a while and the props should stop. Not sure taking out the battery is the best idea but if it worked for you ok
2022-7-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

However this time, once I caught it the motors spun very fast!!!
The motors only spin up because the drone is trying to hold position while you were trying to move it.
If you want to hold on to the drone, don't move it..
2022-7-15
Use props
fans684baa3e
lvl.3
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-15 21:38
If you hand catch and the drone spins fast just hold it a while and the props should stop. Not sure taking out the battery is the best idea but if it worked for you ok

In fact I did hold hit "a while" (several second perhaps) but I got scared thus decided to remove the battery. won't let it go for sure because the RH button that I tried earlier did NOT work either.

Thanks
2022-7-16
Use props
fans684baa3e
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-15 22:51
However this time, once I caught it the motors spun very fast!!!
The motors only spin up because the drone is trying to hold position while you were trying to move it.
If you want to hold on to the drone, don't move it..

RE: I decide to hand catch which I've done before numerous times. However this time, once I caught it the motors spun very fast!!!

As above mentioned, I wasn't trying to move it BUT I want to hand catch (land) not to just hold on to it.
And I believe I wasn't moving either.

Thanks
2022-7-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans684baa3e Posted at 7-16 03:47
RE: I decide to hand catch which I've done before numerous times. However this time, once I caught it the motors spun very fast!!!

As above mentioned, I wasn't trying to move it BUT I want to hand catch (land) not to just hold on to it.

If the gyro sensor senses even a very small movement, the drone will correct to try to hold position.
Play around with it sometime to see how it works and how little movement it takes for the drone to try to correct..
2022-7-16
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

fans684baa3e Posted at 7-16 03:47
RE: I decide to hand catch which I've done before numerous times. However this time, once I caught it the motors spun very fast!!!

As above mentioned, I wasn't trying to move it BUT I want to hand catch (land) not to just hold on to it.

There are two ways of hand catching or hand landing the drone.

One way is to catch it and VERY QUICKLY turn it upside down, this would stop the drone motors.  The motors would spin up as you do this, so try to do it as quickly as possible.

The better way is to open your hand flat directly under the drone at a distance - keep it stationary and don't move your hand towards the drone or it will fly away.   Pull throttle stick all the way down and wait.   The drone would hesitate a bit and then slowly land on your hand.
Don't release the throttle stick and keep it down, and the motors would stop.
Practice hand landing as it is useful in some circumstances.
2022-7-16
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I am flying Mavic Air2 and Mini2 with Smart Controller, and have experienced the same of  "DJI Fly not responding."  Even provided a screen capture as you have done.  Only Stephen responded to let him know IF it happened again.  Which it does from time to time, and while it is NOT responding, your taps to the screen have no effect.  Hope you get an answer.
2022-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules