1810 6 2022-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaptThomas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41319 ft

United States

Hey everyone,
I recently got a Mavic Mini FCC but I'm trying to make it go further since I live in an area where there is a lot of interference. I tried using mirrors and bolt-on extenders that you put on the antennas but I didn't see much improvement. Does anyone have a good guide they used for their drone which allowed them to go significantly further? I'll greatly appreciate any links that people can send my way. I have mechanical knowledge and the drone is used so I'm fine with opening it up and messing around if someone knows a really good mod.

Best regards
2022-10-19
Use props
Rayson
New

Hong Kong

Google mavic mini antcool - a guy in Hong Kong got the mini to fly over 6K: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgzJ3Lz1YQ
2022-10-19
Use props
CaptThomas
lvl.1

United States

Rayson Posted at 10-19 06:50
Google mavic mini antcool - a guy in Hong Kong got the mini to fly over 6K: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgzJ3Lz1YQ

Do you have a purchase link for someone in the US?
2022-10-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How far do you wish to fly and what range are you currently reaching before there are problems?
What sort of areas are you flying in?
What are the signals between the drone having to pass through?
I have seen a CE spec Mavic Mini reach over 2.4km over open sea. I have also seen my own lose connection at height directly overhead and under 400ft high (bad orientation of the drone and controller antennae) and at a range of around 200m to 300m but reach 2km over open sea.
I would be surprised if you can clearly see a Mavic Mini beyound about 600m and would wonder if you would be in compliance with any VLOS regualtions.

2022-10-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CaptThomas. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. Kindly please fly your DJI Mavic Mini to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist. The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it and please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend to your 3rd party accessories like Range Extender s on your DJI Mavic Mini or modify your DJI drone. These 3rd party accessories might affect the DJI drone when in use and there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work and since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might damage the DJI Drone and can void the warranty of your DJI Mavic Mini as well. Thank you.

2022-10-19
Use props
CaptThomas
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-19 08:32
How far do you wish to fly and what range are you currently reaching before there are problems?
What sort of areas are you flying in?
What are the signals between the drone having to pass through?

I want to fly at least a mile with my drone since it disconnects no further than 2,000 ft away. Of course, I fly the drone in urban areas and near trees so I'm assuming that does play a large role in reducing the range but I would like to see if there are good range extenders that can counter that.  The drone is an FCC drone so would it be possible to have it shift to CE mode for the longest range? If so, would I get a lot of interference from nearby power lines?
2022-10-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From memory the specifications state that the FCC version of the Mavic Mini has the greater control range, therefore I suspect that such a swap would be detrimental.
Trees in the line of sight between the done and controller seem to be detrimental to control range.  
I would not recommend flights to a distance of one mile. Even if the drone was straight in front of you, you will not be able to see the drone at that distance and you will probably not even know which bit of the sky the drone is in. Even more so if you fly the drone across your field of view. I have lost sight of a drone and RTH'ed it and I could not spot it until it was nearly home, remember a drone at distance will appear to be low and appear to climb as it approaches you. If you add in trees blocking your view of the sky that there is a fair chance you will have little to no idea of what else is in the sky near your drone, (thinking brids, trees, manned aircraft).
Your field of view using the drones's camera and phone screen are EXTREMELY limited, just do a google for bird strike videos to see how little can be seen from the camera and how quickly 'slow' moving  birds can pass through the camera's field of view, planes move a lot faster than birds.
Flying beyond, or out of, your VLOS may be in contravention of your FCC regulations.
When I sent my drone out over the sea I had an unobstructed view of the sky in 'front' of me and would have seen any aircraft that the drone could possibly be a threat to, besides I have never seen an aircraft in that area that was not in a commercial flight corridor 1000's of ft up and my flight was at around 60ft above sea level. If a plane had appoached I would have lowered the drone or ditched it into the sea.
You could perhaps try Yagi antennae but their use means that the antennae need to be pointed at the drone quite accurately, they are much more directionally sensitive than the unaided antennae on the controller.

My suggestions would be curtail your range expectations or find more suitable places to fly.
2022-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules