Mavic 3 strobe lights
4507 11 2022-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Richard07924
lvl.1
Flight distance : 227365 ft
United States

Im sorry if this has been asked, but i was not able to find the information here, or on Google.  Are the strobe lights that come on the Mavic 3 legal for night flying in the US, or do i need to purchas additional lights?  
2022-11-5
Use props
BladeZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1111969 ft
  • >>>
United States

No.  For night flying the lights need to be visible for 3 SM.  the lights on the drone are more for orientation views.    Get a Firehouse strobe.
2022-11-5
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, definitely not legal for night flights in the US.  You will need to purchase 3rd party strobes that are capable of being seen from 3 NM.  
2022-11-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

In the U.S. for recrational flights, there are NO requirements for strobes at all. For Part 107, strobes are required with 3 NM visibility.
2022-11-5
Use props
ZmootheOperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187516 ft
Norway

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-5 16:00
In the U.S. for recrational flights, there are NO requirements for strobes at all. For Part 107, strobes are required with 3 NM visibility.

Same in my part of Europe. What is required at night is green, blinking light.
2022-11-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The Auxiliary LEDs will be turned on or off automatically during use, based on the actual environment, and the LEDs at the front arms of the drone will blink by default for the duration of the UAV being powered on. DJI Fly App removed those two options, For details of regulation please check https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -for-mavic-3-series . Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-5
Use props
BladeZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1111969 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-5 15:57
No, definitely not legal for night flights in the US.  You will need to purchase 3rd party strobes that are capable of being seen from 3 NM.

I usually don't do this, but have to this time.  LOL  A NM is more than a SM.  Regulations state 3 SM.   I had to look it up myself.  I guess I never realized there was a difference in SM and NM.
2022-11-5
Use props
andreasjva
New

United States

BladeZ Posted at 2022-11-5 20:56
I usually don't do this, but have to this time.  LOL  A NM is more than a SM.  Regulations state 3 SM.   I had to look it up myself.  I guess I never realized there was a difference in SM and NM.

Thank you for confirming that actually.  I thought Statute Mile was the correct answer, not Nautical Mile.  I'm studying for my 107 and that was throwing me off.  
2023-3-27
Use props
djiuser_g8z82rkDjhy4
New

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-11-5 16:00

There is also no night flying recreationally at all
2023-7-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

djiuser_g8z82rkDjhy4 Posted at 7-8 10:40

WRONG!!! Maybe you need to read the regs.
2023-7-8
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

djiuser_g8z82rkDjhy4 Posted at 7-8 10:40

Hi, here’s a link for the recreational rules.  And then Rule #2 has a link to the CBOs.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_flyers

I would recommend that Firehouse ARC V. That’s what I use. With any strobe, all it takes is 1 second and your night vision is completely toast so it's a little tricky.  Generally, I think it's much safer to launch vertically and then come straight back down when you're done filming/shooting and don't do much flying.
2023-7-8
Use props
greystoke.eng
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2158192 ft
United States

A Statute Mile is 5,280' a Nautical Mile is 6,000' or one arc second of Latitude. Aviation and Marine Navigation use NM because it actually relates to actual Lat Lon measurements on the surface of the earth. So if you go north 60 NM you have gone one minute of latitude. So it persists since it is actually useful and not a wavelength of hydrogen or some other obscure unit. I was a Navy Pilot and had to be the navigator on a ship while a midshipman. When you did celestial navigation, NM also proved useful. They stopped doing celestial a few years back due to the overarching presence of GPS. Then after a bunch of boats ran aground and or collided, they started teaching it again to the officers. GPS, when we first started using it led to the saying, "GPS will fly you into a water tower with great precision." This was the result of poor surveys that were done decades ago. One of my buds flew his TA-4 into a water tower in Texas during training, proving the point. Didn't end well for him.

Anyhow, NM made it so you could do all kinds of clever navigation on your kneeboard while flying without using your GPS. It would have been overwhelming to do conversions on wind speed, currents and such. Since the FAA is a tiny bit more concerned with the regular side of aviation, they push it onto the drone world as well.
2023-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules