DJI Fly Pixel 6 incompatibility
2472 9 2022-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronnie S
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115892 ft
United Kingdom

On  4 November 22 I purchased a Pixel 6 off the DJI FLY compatibility list  (not pro or other variant) because the Motorola G7 was evidently no longer compatible with the (then) DJI FLY 1.7.8. (installed but failed to run).

Having invested another £440+ in a redundant phone just so I could get rid of any compatibility issues (new phone is just for the drone) I now find that I get the message 'you can't install the app on your device' when trying to install 1.8.0.

I just updated the phone to the latest release of Android 12 and it still fails. (The phone has now decided that it's updating to V13.)

The mini 2 will fly with 1.4.8 but of course I require urgently to fly the mini 3 pro and with a supported release of DJI Fly.

DJI response urgently required.

Thank you.

dji pixel 6 fail.JPG
Screenshot_20221105-201409~2.png
2022-11-6
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where did you download the latest Fly app from?  Also, you might have to set the phone to accept/install/ "unknown" apps. The last few Android updates have been VERY strict, especially with the DJI apps since they don't go through the Play Store. The Google Pixels seem especially "fussy"
2022-11-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You just need to enable install from unknown sources.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/i ... wn-sources-android/

Works fine then.

(That said, it says a lot about the poor and non-standard method of software design DJI employ that its not allowed in the Play store any more.  Its also why apps break with just about every single OS update.  If they used the standard SDK and methods they wouldnt).

2022-11-6
Use props
Dronnie S
lvl.1
United Kingdom

jmb63 Posted at 11-6 03:15
Where did you download the latest Fly app from?  Also, you might have to set the phone to accept/install/ "unknown" apps. The last few Android updates have been VERY strict, especially with the DJI apps since they don't go through the Play Store. The Google Pixels seem especially "fussy"

Thanks so much for your info.
I did download from DJI.COM downloads. It's decided to update to Android V13 and is tediously going through that. As soon as it's stable again I'll find the permissions and see if that'll fix it - sounds more than plausible. I'll update.

Redownloaded, actually enabled all available sources and now it's  installing .. now we just have to integrate that with the aircraft. And  switch off the enables.

So grateful!
Ron

2022-11-6
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21307762 ft
Spain

Very strange. I have a Pixel 6 on Android 13 and I installed the DJI Fly 1.8.0 from the website without any issues.
Please make sure you download the APK from DJI directly by this link: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2022-11-6
Use props
Dronnie S
lvl.1
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 11-6 03:39
You just need to enable install from unknown sources.

Thanks so much for your info.
I did download from DJI.COM downloads. It's decided to update to Android V13 and is still tediously going through that. As soon as it's stable again I'll find the permissions and see if that'll fix it - sounds more than plausible. I'll update with the result anyway.

My career was software development and I can't say how sorry I am about all this waste both DJI (and Google for poor messaging) . Not just that but we are talking about personal professional reputational risk and physical safety risks - these are aircraft after all.  I'm also dissappointed also about the selection of available functionality in different aircraft models but then that goes back a long way.

Redownloaded, actually enabled all available sources and now it's installing .. now we just have to integrate that with the aircraft. And switch off the enables.

So grateful!
Ron

2022-11-6
Use props
Dronnie S
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 11-6 03:54
Very strange. I have a Pixel 6 on Android 13 and I installed the DJI Fly 1.8.0 from the website without any issues.
Please make sure you download the APK from DJI directly by this link: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly

Redownloaded, actually enabled all available sources and now it's installing .. now we just have to integrate that with the aircraft. And switch off the enables.
So grateful!
Ron
2022-11-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Dronnie S Posted at 11-6 04:21
So grateful!
Ron

Hi, Dronnie S.  Thank you for reaching out and it's good to read to you were now able to install it on your phone with the help of fellow co-pilots here on the forum. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-6
Use props
Dronnie S
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-6 09:45
Hi, Dronnie S.  Thank you for reaching out and it's good to read to you were now able to install it on your phone with the help of fellow co-pilots here on the forum. Should you have any concerns or inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.

Yes it turns out that the re-download was necessary. Note in the screenshot the Android icon against the APK. On redownload the new file had a DJI icon. Only that file would install, and I checked that it comes up with a helpfull message about enabling unknown sources if they are not. Thanks again.
2022-11-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Dronnie S Posted at 11-7 13:10
Yes it turns out that the re-download was necessary. Note in the screenshot the Android icon against the APK. On redownload the new file had a DJI icon. Only that file would install, and I checked that it comes up with a helpfull message about enabling unknown sources if they are not. Thanks again.

Hi, Dronnie S. You're welcome. Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully, it can help other pilots too if they encounter the same concern. Have a good one!
2022-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules