Drone and RC Pro stolen. Any way to track?
2581 15 2022-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
parkloop
lvl.2
United States

Yesterday my Mini 3 Pro and a brand new RC Pro got stolen out of my car. I'm pretty sure DJI refresh won't cover the drone but is there a way to at least track or lock it down like they do with iPhones?
2022-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

but is there a way to at least track it
There's no way to track your drone.
It only communicates with its controller over a very limited range.
It doesn't "phone home" or have any way to.
2022-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You could sign out of your account, this would stop anyone using it unless they can sign into your account.
2022-11-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

We are sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience.

Sorry to inform you we are unable to track your aircraft. Tracking the aircraft will require the synced flight data via DJI APP by the pilot and also the DJI account that the pilot flies your drone with.

We recommend that you report this theft incident to the local authorities, authorizing the police to run investigations on this case.

Also, we would like to collect the following information to record the stolen aircraft in the system. Our Support team will contact you if we receive the products in the future. Please rest assured that DJI will reject to offer a service if other customers send it back. Hope for your understanding and patience.

a) Full Name:

b) Phone number (mobile preferred):

c) Email address:

d) Serial Number:

e) Shipping Address (No PO BOX, business address preferred):
2022-11-25
Use props
overdrive1337
lvl.2
United States

If the thief tries to fly the drone without logging out of your account, you would see the flight data synced to your account once the RC Pro connects to WiFi. It’s a long shot, but worth a try, to start monitoring your account. Report your findings to law enforcement, NEVER try to approach a suspected thief yourself. Good Luck!
2022-11-27
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Is the serial number with logs not transmitted?
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

overdrive1337 Posted at 11-27 23:47
If the thief tries to fly the drone without logging out of your account, you would see the flight data synced to your account once the RC Pro connects to WiFi. It’s a long shot, but worth a try, to start monitoring your account. Report your findings to law enforcement, NEVER try to approach a suspected thief yourself. Good Luck!

If you saw my original comment then forget that comment. I have just remembered that the controller is a 'smart controller' and you probably make a good point.....if the DJI RC ? was set up to sync.
2022-11-28
Use props
Rochambeaux
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 11-25 15:56
We are sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience.

Sorry to inform you we are unable to track your aircraft. Tracking the aircraft will require the synced flight data via DJI APP by the pilot and also the DJI account that the pilot flies your drone with.

Hopefully the OP lives somewhere that law enforcement would actually care and/or have the ability to do anything.  Here in the states that would mean a non-major city or anywhere except California where the value of the drone falls below the "threshold" for prosecution.
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What might be sensible for parkloop to do it to publish the serial numbers and location of the theft in the hope that the thief tries to sell them and prospective buyers, in that location, happen to have read this thread and are forewarned etc..
Isn't there also an independent registry of stolen drones?
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-28 04:58
Is the serial number with logs not transmitted?

Multiple serial numbers are included/recorded in the flight logs, you might find looking at your own logs interesting. Though occasionally the recording of them does go wonky for some reason.
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-25 15:38
You could sign out of your account, this would stop anyone using it unless they can sign into your account.

Are you certain that will work?
I use different  phones depending on whether I fly the Mavic Mini or the Mini 2 or the FPV and I have the impression that I can be logged out of the Fly app on one phone yet remain logged in the others.

Besides, in post 6, overdrive1337 raises an interesting point, if they are correct it might be a means of tracking usage of the drone providing that the controller is set to sync and the thief doesn't log out of the account.
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Two questions for DJI,
1) if parkloop had bought flyaway insurance, all the bindings were complete and active and parkloop asked DJI to close the DJI account associated with the insurance, could DJI close the account?
2) would that have the effect of logging the controller out of the fly app and thereby render the controller useless after 5 flights PLUS ground the drone?
2022-11-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-28 06:41
Are you certain that will work?
I use different  phones depending on whether I fly the Mavic Mini or the Mini 2 or the FPV and I have the impression that I can be logged out of the Fly app on one phone yet remain logged in the others.

Well in order to fly you need to activate you also need to be signed in. If the drone has already been activated it must be deactivated to allow another user use it under a new account and password , once you sign out someone needs your password to sign back in . They may be able to start up but will be restricted in distance 50m I think and limited to the amount of times they can do this 5.

If for instance you are signed out of your dji account and you go flying in a remote location unless you can sign in you cannot fly.
2022-11-28
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Time for a "Find my Drone" application for this scenario.  
2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-28 09:17
Well in order to fly you need to activate you also need to be signed in. If the drone has already been activated it must be deactivated to allow another user use it under a new account and password , once you sign out someone needs your password to sign back in . They may be able to start up but will be restricted in distance 50m I think and limited to the amount of times they can do this 5.

If for instance you are signed out of your dji account and you go flying in a remote location unless you can sign in you cannot fly.

Ooooh thanks for posting these two posts.

I have just tested this with two 'live' phones connected to the web and I stand corrected or apparently so.
I signed out of the Fly app on one phone whilst flying a Mini 2 with the other, I shut down the Mini 2' app mid flight and rebooted it and low and behold I was signed out.
Cheers.
2022-11-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-28 06:19
What might be sensible for parkloop to do it to publish the serial numbers and location of the theft in the hope that the thief tries to sell them and prospective buyers, in that location, happen to have read this thread and are forewarned etc..
Isn't there also an independent registry of stolen drones?

independent registry of stolen drones?

yeah, it's in the same binder with the independent registry of stolen cameras, stolen laptops, stolen mobiles, stolen televisions, stolen ipads, stolen.....

as was mentioned, it just doesnt rise to that level (with the police) to warrant any meaningful attention.  stealing and theft is a way of life over here in america and unfortunately it's something everything has to get use to and count on, painful as it is.  surprisingly there isn't even an independent registry of stolen guns which an individual can count on to ensure they are not buying a stolen firearm even from a reputable seller.  i know it sucks to be stolen from but let's be honest, nobody is going to look out for your stuff except yourself.
2022-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules