2365 21 2023-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans75c4b603
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hello,
Anyone know why the 4D does not have a 16:9 aspect ratio option? This is very annoying as now we have to conform 17:9 to 16:9 in post. We shoot many different cameras and this is the first camera I have seen in ten years that doesn't have an option to shoot in 1.78:1 16:9. An editor can easily miss this in assemble and have different aspect ratios on a timeline.
DJI please fix this!!
Steve
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hello, there. We're sorry for the inconvenience that it may have caused you. The frame ratio of videos recorded by DJI Ronin 4D can only be 2.39:1 or 17:9. At present, it cannot directly output a video with a frame ratio of 16:9. However if you need a 16:9 ratio, we recommend that you enable the “Frame Guide” function of the monitor and set the frame ratio to 16:9 and the Frame Guide Transparency to 0%. In this way, you can obtain the desired content in the corresponding frame for post-processing (cropping). Rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded to our relevant team for potential. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-10-9
Use props
fans75c4b603
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the response.
The goal is to *not* have to create custom frame lines or have post have to do any special processing. It really seems like a simple ask: This is the first camera I've seen in 15 years that didn't have an option for 16:9 recording.
Steve
2023-10-11
Use props
fansd8781149
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31145 ft
  • >>>
Russia

fans75c4b603 Posted at 10-11 06:37
Thanks for the response.
The goal is to *not* have to create custom frame lines or have post have to do any special processing. It really seems like a simple ask: This is the first camera I've seen in 15 years that didn't have an option for 16:9 recording.
Steve

I agree with you.  The Chinese decided to make a new format. Now all cameras will have 17:9.  During post production, I load the computer so that all frames are 16:9.  Why do I need this?
2023-10-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

t

fans75c4b603 Posted at 10-11 06:37
Thanks for the response.
Steve

Thank you for your response, Steve. We will surely gather this feedback of yours and will forward it to our relevant team for future consideration. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. Rest assured that we always value our customer's suggestions and feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-10-19
Use props
4D user
lvl.2
France

I totally agree with all the previous comments.
I only use 16:9.
2023-10-20
Use props
Jeremy Duncan
lvl.1
Canada

We purchased the Ronin 4D for live production, and the lack of 16:9 has been a real disappointment because we can't easily incorporate the footage with our other cameras. Please consider adding a 16:9 option to the firmware.
2023-10-23
Use props
fans75c4b603
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

fansd8781149 Posted at 10-13 23:03
I agree with you.  The Chinese decided to make a new format. Now all cameras will have 17:9.  During post production, I load the computer so that all frames are 16:9.  Why do I need this?

Well.....it's not a new format. 17:9 is 1.85 to 1 which was a film format for a hundred years. In todays world, 17:9 = 4096x2160, a common "4K" format.
Still not a helpful format for anyone trying to shoot native 16:9, for example YouTube or live television production.
2023-10-23
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

Personally, I love how 17:9 looks, and I appreciate having the extra wiggle room on the side for minor reframing when working in a 16:9 timeline.

I almost didn't say anything, but I felt like it was worth talking about. Because I think this is one of those things where it's the people who have the most trouble who are the most vocal, and the people who can work with it fine who don't bother speaking up. (The people who are most adept at editing with a wide variety of formats, aspect ratios, and color spaces.)

So the conversation becomes dominated by the vocal minority.

Yes, I get that 16x9 is a standard aspect ratio. But me personally, I appreciate the 17x9 when I'm shooting on anamorphic glass, because it makes it so much easier for me to compose shots in the wider anamorphic formats.
2023-10-23
Use props
NV_EIC
New

United States

Ford4D Posted at 10-23 23:01
Personally, I love how 17:9 looks, and I appreciate having the extra wiggle room on the side for minor reframing when working in a 16:9 timeline.

I almost didn't say anything, but I felt like it was worth talking about. Because I think this is one of those things where it's the people who have the most trouble who are the most vocal, and the people who can work with it fine who don't bother speaking up. (The people who are most adept at editing with a wide variety of formats, aspect ratios, and color spaces.)

It isn't about how it looks, or the wiggle room in editing. It's about workflow. For example, we're using this in a live broadcast situation for NBA, and need to upscale the resulting raster.

Cool if you're editing, but with the RF attachments there's a lot of customers who aren't.
2023-10-30
Use props
NV_EIC
New

United States

The raster out of the SDI output is indeed 1920x1080 (1080p60), so the letterboxing is happening inside the camera pre-output. Another vote for adding 16:9 / 3G / UHD standards in a software update.
2023-10-30
Use props
HyperRPG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112940 ft
United States

We also use the camera in live production and not having a 16x9 output really messes with how great this thing is in so many other aspects for live shows. Why not give the ability to centercrop HDMI output from camera the same way you allow centercrop from HDMI output of the highbright monitor?

It seems like something that should be easy to do since you already offer that solution on the highbright monitor output.
2023-11-6
Use props
ddecker
lvl.2

Canada

We bought the 4D back in April in hopes that we could use it for both post production and live workflows. It's ticked all the boxes for post production but has come up short in every live production scenario. DJI comes so close to making an amazingly versatile camera but its decision to not include North American broadcast standards keeps it from owning another huge market. Having to convert the signal on the output because of lack of support of drop frame is annoying. Having to scale and crop it, post SDI, is infuriating. It degrades image quality. As someone else has already pointed out, the footage is being letterboxed in camera, why not include the ability to center crop in camera when the footage is already being processed? Something they decided to include on the high bright monitor output... it's so puzzling. DJI, please fix this.
2023-11-7
Use props
fansf14aecdd
lvl.1

United States

Another vote for 16:9 option. It seems like an easy fix and 17:9  is causing headaches for so many users, it seems like an absolute slam-dunk of a firmware upgrade, so please consider it!
1-19 18:37
Use props
Superluminal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1141191 ft
United States

+1 here for 16:9.   I have so many clients that this will annoy not having 16:9.
1-21 06:07
Use props
infobrooksvideo.com
New

Ireland

Was very interested in the DJi 4D
For live OB’s
Not having 16x9 format is a deal breaker

1-28 13:22
Use props
fans467a8c34
New

United States

I am also having problems with this in a live production scenario. Currently having to center crop through a teranex which creates a delay that’s unsuitable for my workflow. please fix this in the next update DJI!
4-3 10:03
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans467a8c34 Posted at 4-3 10:03
I am also having problems with this in a live production scenario. Currently having to center crop through a teranex which creates a delay that’s unsuitable for my workflow. please fix this in the next update DJI!

Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
4-4 02:52
Use props
umit gulsen
lvl.1
United States

Has there been any update on this feature? I am about to return my 4D because of this. I believe you are targeting toy camera operators only. What is the reason not to have the most standard aspect ratio in a camera? Frustrating!
5-24 13:17
Use props
Jason_Ronin_4D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1204596 ft
United States

If you have the DJI transmission, you can select center crop and output a 16x9 image. We used a 4d on a live broadcast last week and it worked perfectly, we received a 16x9 image.
5-28 00:30
Use props
steevo435
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

If DJI is listening, watch sports on television. Everyone live broadcasting sports in the U.S. is using Sony cameras on gimbals. Not DJI products because of the inability to output 16:9.
I'm not interested in a wireless solution. It needs to be native in-camera to record 16:9 in the camera.
5-28 09:43
Use props
Ruggerview
lvl.2
Flight distance : 792028 ft
United Kingdom

I need the 16x9 as well. Nuts it's not there. Love the camera but severely limits real world use.
6-11 01:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules