The "Downward" warning?
265 7 5-5 13:24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Canada John
lvl.2
Canada

Hi.

I'm having a bit of trouble fully understanding the warnings that appear on the controller's screen when the drone comes close to the ground. There are two: a yellow worded warning that seems to appear when the drone is between 3 and 5 meters above the ground, and a red version that appears when the drone is below 3 meters. What I"m trying to figure is the discrepancy between the footage listed next to the Downward warning and the height/altitude listed on the main screen. I attach an example. As you can see, the screen says H 2.3 M, while the warning in red says "Downward 1.7 m.". I've been scouring tutorial videos but have not found this discussed anywhere.

Thanks.

John

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 11.49.33 AM.png
5-5 13:24
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

The altitude listed beside the H is your approximate height above the point from which you lifted off.  It is relative to that point only & is an approximation based on the barometric sensor in the drone.  It is NOT your altitude above the ground.  If you lift off to 3' on the lip of the Grand Canyon then fly over the rim, the drone will still show your altitude as 3'.

The yellow/red proximity warning you see as you approach the ground is determined by the IR sensors on the bottom of the drone.  This is a close approximation of your distance from the ground or an object (roof, trees, car, etc.) directly beneath the drone.  The drone will USUALLY prevent you from flying into the ground, though it can still happen if the terrain is steep or rugged.
5-5 15:32
Use props
Canada John
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks for that explanation DB.
5-5 16:02
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, John. Thank you for reaching out. The H 2.3 M represents the height of 2.3 M relative to the take-off point, and 1.7m downward represents the detected object 1.7m away from below. The two meanings are different. However, it should be noted that there is a certain error in aircraft height detection. Even after taking off from the ground, the H height and the downward height are not necessarily exactly the same. Slight errors are normal. Hope his helps.
5-9 06:45
Use props
Dan.Kearney
lvl.1

United States

Good Info.  Thanks for sharing.
5-9 15:57
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Dan.Kearney Posted at 5-9 15:57
Good Info.  Thanks for sharing.

You're most welcome, Dan.Kearney. Should you need further assistance, please let us know.
5-20 07:17
Use props
Juc1
New

United Kingdom

So at what heights do the yellow and red "downward" warnings trigger? Suppose I am 50m or more above a lake - can I trust that my mini 4 pro can fly close to the surface without ditching into the water?  Are these "downward" warnings for information only ie not requiring me to do anything?

5-26 05:20
Use props
Canada John
lvl.2
Canada

As best I can recall the red warnings are for below three meters, yellow something like three to six. The respective warnings only come on when you are those heights above the ground. Take your drone to a safe place - i.e. flat ground that you can observe - and fly your drone over it. Hover down till those warnings come on and look at the meter number that will appear beneath them. I find these readings to be very accurate.
5-26 06:09
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules