236 16 5-6 06:56
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692792 ft
Brazil

Hi, guys!

Got my Air 3 this weekend. Man, this guy is fast!
Wondering if we can control focus manually with the camera dial instead of zooming (and other options).
5-6 06:56
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

What tasks is this needed for?
5-6 07:59
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-6 07:59
What tasks is this needed for?

You're kidding, right?
Manual focusing with a dial is practically done with every camera work you can think of, with any camera. It's the very opposite of the autofocus as you can control speed and not miss the target letting an algorithm try to figure out what you want in focus.
5-6 08:07
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I know what manual focusing is. Give an example where this is needed when taking photographs or video from a Drone, and its capabilities will not cope.
5-6 08:58
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-6 08:58
I know what manual focusing is. Give an example where this is needed when taking photographs or video from a Drone, and its capabilities will not cope.
Rack focus? Filming events where things happen in seconds and the autofocus does not focus where you want? Out of focus/in focus effect?
The only place I found to control focus manually is tapping the screen and dragging the finger, which is neither fast, pratical or precise. Or even safe for that matter if you want to pull focus while piloting the drone
5-6 09:03
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Where you need to quickly, you won’t have time with a manual one and there is no accuracy. Color manual focus indication does not guarantee focusing accuracy.
Not happy with focusing at infinity?
5-6 09:28
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-6 09:28
Where you need to quickly, you won’t have time with a manual one and there is no accuracy. Color manual focus indication does not guarantee focusing accuracy.
Not happy with focusing at infinity?

Bro, I think you dont get it.
5-6 10:57
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Enlighten me.
5-6 11:19
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

I tried. If you had any experience with cameras other than drone cameras, you would know.
Besides, I asked if anyone knows if its possible to control the focus using the camera dial. Simple. If you dont know (another thing you showed you dont know) or if it does not matter to you, dont think its the same thing for everyone else. I dont need to explain myself to satisfy you. If you cant help, dont get in the way.
5-6 11:26
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I have 20 years of experience with DSLR cameras and lenses.
Manual focusing is controlled only by the screen and nothing else.
But you still haven't given a real example.
5-6 20:13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Ulysses. This function is currently not available but let me forward this to the related team as a suggestion. Thank you for your patience and valued support. Have a great day.
5-6 21:30
Use props
Newport Dave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1554275 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is NOT a bad idea.  Especially since we are now utilizing the longer lenses and the corresponding shallow depth of field, this would be particularly useful for "slip-focus" situations where you are focused on a nearby object and need to control the focus point changing from foreground to background. It would be a nice option to have for those situations. (Instead of waiting to see when the "Auto-focus" will decide to change focal points.)  It's just a matter of control. Although awesome, the auto-focus is unpredictable and sometimes unreliable.  Just setting the focus to infinity is not always the appropriate answer.  How practical this feature would be to implement, I don't know, but if it's an option, it would prove useful. Come on DJI, you can do it!
5-13 09:03
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-6 20:13
I have 20 years of experience with DSLR cameras and lenses.
Manual focusing is controlled only by the screen and nothing else.
But you still haven't given a real example.

You dont have any experience pulling focus.
5-13 09:18
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

DJI Tony Posted at 5-6 21:30
Hi, Ulysses. This function is currently not available but let me forward this to the related team as a suggestion. Thank you for your patience and valued support. Have a great day.

Thank you, Tony.
5-13 09:18
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Newport Dave Posted at 5-13 09:03
This is NOT a bad idea.  Especially since we are now utilizing the longer lenses and the corresponding shallow depth of field, this would be particularly useful for "slip-focus" situations where you are focused on a nearby object and need to control the focus point changing from foreground to background. It would be a nice option to have for those situations. (Instead of waiting to see when the "Auto-focus" will decide to change focal points.)  It's just a matter of control. Although awesome, the auto-focus is unpredictable and sometimes unreliable.  Just setting the focus to infinity is not always the appropriate answer.  How practical this feature would be to implement, I don't know, but if it's an option, it would prove useful. Come on DJI, you can do it!

Exactly! Imagine how many more creative shots we could make!

The manual control already exists and can be done with the finger and the screen in manual mode, which defeats the purpose of having control and precision. So, should be only a matter of adding the code to control via camera dial.
5-13 09:21
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2733720 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Ulysses Posted at 5-13 09:21
Exactly! Imagine how many more creative shots we could make!

The manual control already exists and can be done with the finger and the screen in manual mode, which defeats the purpose of having control and precision. So, should be only a matter of adding the code to control via camera dial.

The idea is not bad...but...is a BUT always ))....the optics of the drone are not such good as a normal camera, so the back blur is not very good (i am not native english so...)....
The focus controlled by the knob can be practical if you are in a specific range from some obstacle, like you pass a tree and focus on it, then refocus on bride that is at a few meters behind tree...
I do not think will be subtle, as I say, the optics is small and have not room to move like normal cameras creating that DOF and blur....
Also from my personal tests, the range for this is limited, also because of small optical block inside.

But hey, any new added feature to this drone is a PLUS...

PS. I use the screen to refocus now at this passing through's by setting the movement and activating the Cruise Control, in order to can access the screen while movement is smooth...hope this help you at this moment.
5-13 23:32
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

You are most welcome. Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance. Have a great day ahead.
5-15 02:50
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules