battery communication error - resistors for BQ25700A
123 7 5-25 01:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JK Pilot
lvl.1
Czechia

Hi! I crashed my old Mini and during disassembly I managed to break off two tiny resistors from the back of the motherboard near the BQ25700A battery charge controller (I'm an idiot, I know).  I didn't notice these tiny resistors are gone till I wanted to fly again several weeks later, and the drone (very logically) refuses to take off without battery info, so it does not fall back on my head in case the battery would be empty.

Can you please give me values for these two tiny resistors, so I can buy them and solder them back? Or do you recommend to buy a whole new motherboard from second hand?

two tiny resistors gone from the BQ25700A charge controller circuit

two tiny resistors gone from the BQ25700A charge controller circuit

DJI fly app showing no battery info

DJI fly app showing no battery info

5-25 01:33
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would replace the entire battery. There maybe problems trying to initialise a 'new' battery board and soldering in replacement resistors would be extremely difficult I think
5-25 04:06
Use props
JK Pilot
lvl.1
Czechia

Sadly it is not a problem of the battery (I have three batteries and all of them show charge when they are in the charging hub), it is the motherboard of the drone.
5-25 05:19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ahh, i did wonder why there is heat transfer paste on the BMS, lol, in that case do DJI still 'repair'  mavic minis ?
If so the easiest thing might be to send the drone to DJI and have them ' fix it' or replace it, they are supposed to be reasonably priced.
Replacing the motherboard means you would at least have to re match the gimbal assembly to the new motherboard.
Did everything work prior to you dislodging the resistors ?
5-25 07:03
Use props
JK Pilot
lvl.1
Czechia

I already replaced one gimbal motor, because the gimbal didn't stabilize itself after the crash. Bad handling of the motherboard (and especially the heatsink on it) when disconnecting the gimbal assembly from the motherboard was the cause of these resistors being scraped off.

The drone normally starts up and the gimbal works (after calibration) and stabilizes itself well with the new motor and even recording works fine, but battery level sits at 0% and the drone for obvious safety reasons won't start propeller motors (which work as well as seen from the POST sequence that "jerks" them a little) and thus would not fly.

I've seen motherboards on Ebay but giving their price, delivery time and need for pairing (as you described above) I naively hope that there are some folks here with access to schematics and/or replacement motherboards and can check for values of these resistors, so I could try to fix this issue. I have access to a rework station and someone that could help me with the soldering.
5-25 07:30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In this case, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. Please note that we do not recommend DIY repairs on the unit as we cannot guarantee that it will return to its normal function, also for flight safety. You may contact our team at https://www.dji.com/support to see the best option for sending the unit to us for proper diagnostics. Thank you for your understanding and support.
5-25 20:22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the resistors have values printed on them, you could send eBay sellers a PM asking if they could photograph the appropriate resistors. Some ebayers are quite helpful with such things.

Have you tried asking for values on some of the git-hub forums, you might have better luck there.

That said, since you are familiar with the re calibration process, what about buying a wrecked mini with broken arms etc. and using a motherboard etc. from that.
5-25 22:45
Use props
JK Pilot
lvl.1
Czechia

Thanks for replies.
I don't want to send the whole drone to DJI in fear of "totaling" the aircraft due to multiple cracks in plastic body and scorch marks from the previous crash, which would result in high price (maybe higher than buying a used, fully working Mini from second hand, as they are getting cheaper) and a long wait time for response (no offense to DJI, maybe I'm wrong - is there an option to get repair price/time estimate without sending the whole drone through post?).

I also suppose DJI do not repair anything, they just replace whole components (the motherboard in this case), which is the same for me as buying a second-hand motherboard myself, swapping it and pair it. I will try to get these resistor values from elsewhere, maybe asking some of the sellers is a good idea.

I have flown this drone after the crash and before disassembling it and it worked well and behaved like it should (aside from broken gimbal stabilization), so I hope it will not end in the landfill soon.
5-26 00:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules