custom landing gear for air 3
268 4 5-30 12:54
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mackconsult
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5932 ft

United States

I am a USCG merchant marine and do lots of yachts.  I like using drones on boats, but launching and retreiving a drone is challenging on a boat.  Especially if she is moving.

I had a swell pro splash drone that I did modified landing gear to release and catch it in the air.  Hoping to do the same thing with my new to me air 3.

So I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CD1C91NP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Carbon fiber components:
https://dragonplate.com/

I have removed the legs and hoping to epoxy some carbon fiber tubing into this base.  This would allow some one to release and catch the drone with out being close to the propellers.  Also I have a fishing clip that would allow me to use this as a fishing drone off a boat, or a beach.

When I get it done will post some pictures and videos of the finished product along with a weight measurement.
441533924_10229547297261192_5857871227684684995_n.jpg

5-30 12:54
Use props
mackconsult
lvl.2

United States

I have mfg and assembled some of the landing gear parts, so far I am at 300 grams of weight, just waiting for some more material to finish it up.  Expect total weight to be about 350 grams when done
6-8 08:29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would favour something like this but for the Air 3 obviously, it would probably weigh less and create less drag

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld- ... ories/dp/B086W62Y9Q

Bearing in mind that in order to get the drone to stop its motors you will probably have to tip the drone on its side or upside down and I think this is a safer bet, those landing leg things just clip on don't they ?

6-8 09:39
Use props
mackconsult
lvl.2

United States

Sure, but the landing gear I am designing also doubles as "clearance" landing gear for grass, rocks, and sand.  Also I will be able to attach my fishing clip gear to it for flying my fishing lures out on to good spots on the water.  Yes it will have some weight and drag, but only be used in these situations where drag won't be that important.
yes I leveraged a current solution that clips on the bottom of the air 3.  I will also add a velcro strap that goes around the body to ensure that it does not come off.
6-8 09:46
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mackconsult Posted at 6-8 09:46
Sure, but the landing gear I am designing also doubles as "clearance" landing gear for grass, rocks, and sand.  Also I will be able to attach my fishing clip gear to it for flying my fishing lures out on to good spots on the water.  Yes it will have some weight and drag, but only be used in these situations where drag won't be that important.
yes I leveraged a current solution that clips on the bottom of the air 3.  I will also add a velcro strap that goes around the body to ensure that it does not come off.

Best of luck.
6-9 01:56
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules