Air 3 - Follow me + Obstacle avoidance
243 12 6-16 04:30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7b376bd2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 258136 ft
Romania

I'm a bit disappointed by how the follow me in combination with obstacle avoidance performs.
We now have a new mode "Nifty" where I expect things to go in a certain unsafe direction, but especially because there is this "Nifty" option I was expecting that the normal mode is rather safe, and by rather safe I'm assuming that a pretty thick branch is not considered a safe path.

Is there any chance an official can turn this post into a feature request so that the APAS algorithm is set to a safer threshold when sensing obstacles, rather than trying to bypass them upclose?
I like the fact that it can go aggressive but keep that behavior under the "Nifty" option.

P.S. I was NOT at all interacting with the remote, was set to 'Follow me' on 'Auto', Obstacle avoidance on 'Bypass, Normal'.
I'm just looking at the screen to see what it would do, was pretty shocked to see it run into that branch, the collision sensors were showing obstacles in red and beeping like crazy.
6-16 04:30
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

It has been repeatedly said everywhere that branches without leaves and wires are not visible to the detection system.
6-16 04:48
Use props
fans7b376bd2
lvl.1
Romania

Drone.Hunter Posted at 6-16 04:48
It has been repeatedly said everywhere that branches without leaves and wires are not visible to the detection system.

Except that, if you read my last sentence, they were actually detected. You can see it stopped right in front of the branches, did some path calculation..you see me at that point staring at the remote, I have the obstacle alerts on and it was showing the obstacle in red, right before it ran into the branch I saw the red curve for obstacle on the left side.
6-16 05:25
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

fans7b376bd2 Posted at 6-16 05:25
Except that, if you read my last sentence, they were actually detected. You can see it stopped right in front of the branches, did some path calculation..you see me at that point staring at the remote, I have the obstacle alerts on and it was showing the obstacle in red, right before it ran into the branch I saw the red curve for obstacle on the left side.

I even watched the video.
The system could see thick branches, but could not see small ones.
6-16 05:42
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Not practical tracking. In the video it looks like you tried this in an area that had lots of shade and spots of sunlight which makes it difficult for the sensors to properly detect obstacles. Yes it did pick up the branch and stopped at first but because of light conditions it assumed it could make it through. You set the drone to fail. Lucky you have no serious damages.
6-16 22:32
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am inclined to agree with Suren.

To me it looks as if you chose a difficult route for the drone to follow with the intention of testing the drone's OA capabilities, when that approach bites you in the ass you have no grounds for complaint.

I think the video's title is well chosen, it was successfully crashed but what does the video's 'thumbnail' have to do with an Air 3 or the damage done to the drone, is the drone in that thumbnail even a DJI or real drone ?

Did you have a screen capture running ? It might be interesting to see what that showed.
It would also be interesting to see the fightlog, would you care to post it ?
6-17 08:02
Use props
fans7b376bd2
lvl.1
Romania

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-17 08:02
I am inclined to agree with Suren.

To me it looks as if you chose a difficult route for the drone to follow with the intention of testing the drone's OA capabilities, when that approach bites you in the ass you have no grounds for complaint.

I didn't realize before that I should do a screen record, and I do regret it.

Yes, it was a test to the limit, yes it was intended,
not that I'm not expecting from such a test to have a good result.

I did a huge jump from Mavic Air to Air 3 and all I hear is APAS5, APAS 5
Then all I saw previous to my testing were tests in 'Nifty' mode, and I thought ok fair, it tells you it is not safe, it goes risky, and it follows in tight spaces.

Will it still try to find me without 'Nifty'?! That was my question for the test.
I was expecting just a subject loss to be honest.

BUT I'm not at all disappointed by the crash (as in money loss / damage), that is something I'm fully aware that I chose to go crazy with it, just disappointed in the software as in I currently don't know where exactly is the boundary between Nifty and Normal mode for Obstacle Avoidance.

Anyhow, cover..improvised,
flightlog? I'll have a look  
6-17 08:15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans7b376bd2 Posted at 6-17 08:15
I didn't realize before that I should do a screen record, and I do regret it.

Yes, it was a test to the limit, yes it was intended,

If you wish to test its capabilities start with easy tests and readily detectable odjects. Then, as you gain a feel for the drone, increase the difficulty of the test, if you feel you are pushing its limits ..... stop, literally and metaphorically.
6-17 08:43
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2733720 ft
  • >>>
Romania

My friend, put the sensors on screen as you can now, and see what they "see"....the lower than 720p image BW from each sensor is so low res that is normal to miss wires and small branches....
Skydio is pioneer by using Nvidia core and high res sensors that process almost real time the images, putting both together the Air3 is a joke at OA.
Of course, Skydio sucks at main camera, this being their worst point....but at OA, rules.

So...on Mini 4 Pro, Air 3 and Mavic 3 series you will never be able to avoid small things OR things that do not have a strong contrast....if you have a white big bar and in back you have a white wall, the drone will enter in bar, as cannot see it (no contrast).

Cheers.
6-17 22:49
Use props
fans7b376bd2
lvl.1
Romania

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-17 22:49
My friend, put the sensors on screen as you can now, and see what they "see"....the lower than 720p image BW from each sensor is so low res that is normal to miss wires and small branches....
Skydio is pioneer by using Nvidia core and high res sensors that process almost real time the images, putting both together the Air3 is a joke at OA.
Of course, Skydio sucks at main camera, this being their worst point....but at OA, rules.

Ugh. Now this kind of details, I LIKE!

Yea, makes sense, I saw that sensors feed and it looks at least challenging for object recognition, but I thought maybe is just the way the feed is shown in the app, reducing streaming rate.

On the same thought I was thinking, why only cameras? Can't it have LIDAR or something similar?

I don't intend to generate any sort of negative feedback wave or something as others might've seen this
I'm curious if DJI can do anything to make this better.

Of course the drone is awesome and perfect and DJI rocks if you play 100% by the book.
  (but if you don't play by the book, is still a good product, with real limitations)

6-17 23:05
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2733720 ft
  • >>>
Romania

fans7b376bd2 Posted at 6-17 23:05
Ugh. Now this kind of details, I LIKE!

Yea, makes sense, I saw that sensors feed and it looks at least challenging for object recognition, but I thought maybe is just the way the feed is shown in the app, reducing streaming rate.

Lidar processing in real time at a speed of 30km/h in follow is not possible to be put on such small drone, as is a high consumer and also heavy on a rotating turret.

What Autel did better was to put 2 sensors on each side, creating a 3D real vision in the Evo2Pro consumer drones, thing that made possible to see a lot better the obstacles....the problem was the software that was years behind DJI, but hardware even now is better than DJI.

You do not have many options when you need light, not very consuming avoidance system...omni cameras are the best choice at this point and the current tech, but if you look at Skydio 2 omni and at DJI omni, you will realize what means Nvidia and high res sensors....but...a lot of consumption in power....

I have a lot of drones, but I have never tested the follow me as I flight manual mode all time, only once I have tried that Mastershots and my heart stopped as the drone was going to a white wall in full speed...managed to stop it and never needed again....

Also because the sensors works in processing image not all time, but only the ones that are on direction that is moving, if the drone is changing path quickly is no time to process the images from the sensor on that new path in first second, so if is at full speed you will probably get a crush even if is a large tree.

The point of OA is to warn you first if you miss something, not to avoid all time all obstacles, and many people expect to buy a drone that is fully autonomous....is not...
6-18 22:55
Use props
mackconsult
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5932 ft

United States

a branch are you kidding me, the manual specifically states it will have problems with that
6-20 14:14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mackconsult Posted at 6-20 14:14
a branch are you kidding me, the manual specifically states it will have problems with that

to whom are you replying ?
6-20 14:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules