Yaw during RTH
304 12 7-4 20:27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2311099 ft
United States

..after orbiting the hub,  RTH...the gimbal stayed facing down and I was able to yaw the drone without effecting RTH...

7-4 20:27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, Thank you for sharing your resolution. This sure will help other users whose having the same issue. Have a safe flight always!
7-4 23:18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaw on RTH was a great feature,  sadly they dropped that for the Mini 3 and Mini 4.
7-5 02:01
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-5 02:01
Yaw on RTH was a great feature,  sadly they dropped that for the Mini 3 and Mini 4.

probably because, yawing an OA capable drone would aim the OA cameras in the wrong direction.

From memory the same thing happens, by default, with the mavic 2 drones but, from memory, you can choose to disable the ban and spin. I think it was Dirty Bird that told me about it and it worked.

A guess is that such an option does not exist in the FLY app menus for the mini 3 & 4.
7-5 02:34
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-5 02:34
probably because, yawing an OA capable drone would aim the OA cameras in the wrong direction.

From memory the same thing happens, by default, with the mavic 2 drones but, from memory, you can choose to disable the ban and spin. I think it was Dirty Bird that told me about it and it worked.

That would be true for the Mini 3,  but the Mini 4 has 360 degree OA.
7-5 02:38
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-5 02:38
That would be true for the Mini 3,  but the Mini 4 has 360 degree OA.

but are the mini 4 pro sensors truly equally sensitive the whole way through the 360 deg or are there weak areas or blind spots ?
7-5 03:03
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-5 03:03
but are the mini 4 pro sensors truly equally sensitive the whole way through the 360 deg or are there weak areas or blind spots ?

What ever they are they're better than the no sensors on the Mini 2.
7-5 03:20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-5 03:20
What ever they are they're better than the no sensors on the Mini 2.

I wasn't commenting on that aspect of things.
I was suggesting that if the cameras are less effective in certain directions then it seems sensible to prevent the drone from travelling in those directions whilst it is RTHing.
7-5 05:57
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-5 05:57
I wasn't commenting on that aspect of things.
I was suggesting that if the cameras are less effective in certain directions then it seems sensible to prevent the drone from travelling in those directions whilst it is RTHing.

Seems odd then that the Mini 2 can YAW with no sensors and Mini 4 with 360 coverage that may not be perfect cant yaw at all.   I suspect the YAW on the Mini 2 was a bug they never fixed.
7-6 00:18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-6 00:18
Seems odd then that the Mini 2 can YAW with no sensors and Mini 4 with 360 coverage that may not be perfect cant yaw at all.   I suspect the YAW on the Mini 2 was a bug they never fixed.

We will have to disagree ..... on both points.
There is no need to prevent yawing in drones with out OA, hence both the mini 1 and 2 can be spun during RTH.

I assume that DJI engineers know what they are doing and have assessed that permitting the Mini 4 to spin during RTH is an added risk.
I presume that the sensing abilities of the system are not spherically uniform i.e. relative to the drone's nose it has better sensing in some directions than in other directions.
7-6 00:42
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-6 00:42
We will have to disagree ..... on both points.
There is no need to prevent yawing in drones with out OA, hence both the mini 1 and 2 can be spun during RTH.

But less risk that spinning a Mini 2 or 3.
7-6 00:44
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-6 00:44
But less risk that spinning a Mini 2 or 3.

For the mini 1 & 2 and comparing a spun RTH with a "nose pointed at the home point" RTH, there is no added risk when spinning a mini 1 or 2. They are equally susceptable  to RTHing into something when flying forwards, backwards or sideways or spinning.

If you have a mini 4 you could test whether or not its OA sensing ability is uniform with respect to the drone's orientation relative to the direction of travel.
If you find it is not then there's the answer for why the DJI engineers do not permit spiining during RTH.

I do not have a mini 4 therefore I can not test this.
7-6 01:00
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2680390 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm still sad I don't have that on the Mini 3 Pro (after coming from the Mini 2)
7-7 23:36
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules