1281 10 2016-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Before buying my Phantom 4 I spent a LOT of time browsing forums, reading reviews, and watching YouTube videos about the various drones/quads on offer by the various companies out there.  Obviously I already knew that DJI had been the leading the pack for a while but with the launch of the 3DR Solo they seemed to have some serious competition. With every video that I watched or review that I read the Solo seemed like the far better drone, as they all touted its unique features like the Cable Cam, Orbit etc.  Then all of a sudden I started seeing references to MPCC, or multi point cable cam that "no other drone had".  By this time I was all but set on a 3DR Solo.  Then I came to these forums and realised that the DJI drones had everything the 3DR Solo was touting as being unique, they were just called different names.

I suppose my point is that I feel DJI are letting 3DR win the PR campaign by virtue of the fact that they're just not responding to all these "no other drone can do it" or "thanks to the computer in the handset" claims that are being thrown around by 3DR, and by review sites that just aren't calling them out on it.  

Should DJI be doing more to counter these claims?
2016-4-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Why, 3DR has shot itself in the foot from point blank range, why emulate that?
2016-4-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The only thing  that 3DR did better was their marketing department making claims that production couldn't deliver.
The crowd that loves to hate DJI wanted to believe that there was a competitor that could match or better DJI and fell for the marketing.
The  attraction to unreleased and unproven drones is a powerful lure for some.
The rest is history.
http://www.3drpilots.com/threads ... ing-its-doors.4568/

DJI just makes superior flying cameras and delivers them to the market at good prices.
That strategy seems to be working for them and the buyers ..... not so well for sub-par drone makers.
2016-4-17
Use props
amatthews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

I´m also have  read many about the 3DR Solo and watch their groups.

The product (solo) has no chance against the new Phantom 4. But 3DR has many 150 percent fanboys. They do not compare the solo with the Phantom series but with the Inspire. But they argument that the inspire needs a second pilot, if you want to achieve the potential of solo and so...the solo is much much better ;-). This is of course nonsense! ... But what really good at the Solo  is, the software like multipoint cable cam ....

Please  DJI make better cinematic maneuvers in the Phantom series 3/4.
2016-4-17
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-17 18:58
The only thing  that 3DR did better was their marketing department making claims that production cou ...

You are wrong, Dji does`t make flying cameras. Sony makes those cameras for Dji !!!
2016-4-17
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax - I agree, but that isn't obvious to someone looking to buy their first Quad, as I was.  It was only because (for the first time in my life) I spent AGES reading about them that I happened to stumble across an honest post on a website detailing all the problems that 3DR was having that made me think twice about 3DR.  But then when I bought my P4 and started using it I realised that " Hang on! 3DR says no-one else can do MPCC but this waypoint feature is EXACTLY the same as MPCC" etc etc.  Basically only by buying DJI did I find out that they not only match 3DR features but they also surpass them in other ways.

Labroides - Your first sentence is exactly what I'm talking about. DJI's marketing dept need to reply and show that not only does the Phantom series (I was going to say P4 but the P3 also does) match the Solo, it beats it!

Amatthews - the Phantom series can ALREADY DO MPCC.  If you've watched the tutorials for 3DR Solo as I have you'd realise that to set up their "Cable Cam" and now "Multi Point Cable Cam" is exactly the same way you set up waypoints in the DJI Go! app.  Fly the P4 to point 1, point the cam where you'd like it to point when flying, press C1. Then repeat for further waypoints and points of interest, when you've finished setting them all up return to WP1 and press go.  The P4 will then fly the mission as you planned it, and with the right option selected will point the camera in the same direction you had it when setting up the waypoints, and smoothly transition between them as it flies.  That IS Multi Point Cable Cam!
2016-4-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bullflyer Posted at 2016-4-18 02:44
You are wrong, Dji does`t make flying cameras. Sony makes those cameras for Dji !!!

Dji does make flying cameras.
They have Sony sensors .. like many other cameras do.  http://petapixel.com/2015/05/01/ ... -were-made-by-sony/
But the key feature is that they fly and that's all down to DJI - not Sony.
2016-4-17
Use props
amatthews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

Advocate Posted at 2016-4-17 18:51
Geebax - I agree, but that isn't obvious to someone looking to buy their first Quad, as I was.  It w ...

Hi Advocate, yes the phantom do this...but not so good. The solo can interpolate the curves between two waypoints to give you a smooth, cinematic move......

I hope, DJI will do something like that in one of the next updates....
2016-4-17
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

amatthews@t-onl Posted at 2016-4-18 07:34
Hi Advocate, yes the phantom do this...but not so good. The solo can interpolate the curves betwee ...

I apologise, my mistake amatthews.  I assumed that the DJI Go! app smoothed out the curves in the same manner as the Litchi app.  

It would be nice if you could do that DJI.
2016-4-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After seeing what happened with 3DR, and the awesome Magic Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, and Inspire 2, I take back everything I said about them winning the PR war.  DJI are very soundly winning the REAL war here, that of specs and product bumps.   Keep it up DJI!
2016-11-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Advocate Posted at 2016-11-22 06:39
After seeing what happened with 3DR, and the awesome Magic Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, and Inspire 2, I take ...

And here's how things ended for 3DR:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryan ... erson/#3bf642404840
It turns out they didn't win anything.
2016-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules