Purpose of forced online activation for Osmo?
1424 9 2016-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NotARubicon
lvl.1

United States

After reading through the forum and seeing the trouble with some people getting their Osmo activated, I'm curious what the reason is for forced registration/activation before the device can be used?  I sort of understand forced registration/activation for quad copters (for FAA tracking, or whatever). But why are we forced to register this camera before the device can be used? Currently if there is any issue with activation we're left with.a very pretty brick..
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
During the activation procedure, some of necessary information (such as the SN. and the registered email address, etc.) will be transfer to our service system so that we can provide a better service for you afterwards.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-5-16
Use props
daniellee
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I too cannot see the reason for force activation before using the Osmo. Since this is a hardware product, isn't online registration will serve the same purpose. By the way, when I received my Phantom 3, I had it in the air within an hour, no activation required! Not so lucky with the Osmo.

As far as I'm concern, I already received very poor service when I was unable to use it out of the box (unable to activate), what "better service" we can expect afterwards ??
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

daniellee@shaw. Posted at 2016-5-17 11:14
I too cannot see the reason for force activation before using the Osmo. Since this is a hardware pro ...

Hello.
Since some of your registered information and the SN of the Osmo will be bound to each other, it will help us to identify the ownership for our users at least. It's also a proof for the after-sales services.

2016-5-16
Use props
frypan
lvl.3
Australia

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-17 12:15
Hello.
Since some of your registered information and the SN of the Osmo will be bound to each othe ...

What happens if I sell the Osmo, can I unbind the information? What does the next owner need to do?
2016-5-17
Use props
NotARubicon
lvl.1

United States

I can understand DJI wanting the SN and other information, but bricking the device until they collect that information, to me, seems redonkulous.. It wouldn't be so bad if the registration processes was quick, easy, automatic, and 1000% bulletproof, but apparently the current process is far from that.
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

frypan Posted at 2016-5-17 23:17
What happens if I sell the Osmo, can I unbind the information? What does the next owner need to do ...

The Osmo can only be activated once.
In the case of re-selling, I'm afraid the user would have to contact our technical support if the user wanna rebind the information for the best benefits.

2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

NotARubicon Posted at 2016-5-18 05:19
I can understand DJI wanting the SN and other information, but bricking the device until they collec ...

Hello.
If the activation processes go really frustratingly, on one hand, please check the Internet connection, on the other hand, it's may also affected by your mobile device's OS or properties. If it appears any error warnings, please contact our technical support for help with detail information in time.
For iOS, we would recommend our users upgrade their iOS to 9.3.2 for the best user experience.
2016-5-17
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-17 20:17
Hello.
If the activation processes go really frustratingly, on one hand, please check the Internet ...

Adela,
The feedback clearly states that some of your customers do not agree with the necessity of registration of the OSMO product. Frankly, even the use of UAV should not require a mandatory registration process with your company since only local authorities have that legal right to enforce. If DJI policy is to ignore the opinion of these customers and continue to enforce registration of their OSMO product, fine... we understand. Put it on the box so we know it before we purchase. Else, it simply looks like a breach of contract (purchase contract).
Regards,
Bogdan
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-5-18 12:18
Adela,
The feedback clearly states that some of your customers do not agree with the necessity of  ...

Hello! Bogdan,
Thanks for your opinion.
We'll try our best to make things easier and more convenient.

If you encounter any trouble, please just feel free to contact us.
2016-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules